Sign in to follow this  
loafer87gt

Adaptive Half Refresh Rate V-Sync no longer working

On 2/19/2017 at 4:01 AM, GHarrall said:

Half refresh has never worked in p3d due to reasons stated above regarding true full screen. Any effect you think you had from it was placebo.

Funny enough, it was in fact working for me until recently (few months ago). And nope, it wasnt a placebo effect as it was showing stable 30 fps (measured by external FPS counter) with 1/2 adaptive vsync set in Nvidia CP and unlimited frames in P3D on a 60hz screen. 

I'm wondering if its related to the DSR issues some people reported a while ago...

13 minutes ago, woozie said:

Funny enough, it was in fact working for me until recently (few months ago). And nope, it wasnt a placebo effect as it was showing stable 30 fps (measured by external FPS counter) with 1/2 adaptive vsync set in Nvidia CP and unlimited frames in P3D on a 60hz screen. 

I'm wondering if its related to the DSR issues some people reported a while ago...

But that's technically impossible since P3D doesn't run in true fullscreen mode and 1/2 refresh rate vsync only works in true fullscreen. I'm not sure what caused your situation but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1/2 refresh rate vsync.

5 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

But that's technically impossible since P3D doesn't run in true fullscreen mode and 1/2 refresh rate vsync only works in true fullscreen. I'm not sure what caused your situation but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1/2 refresh rate vsync.

Yes. Must have had an external limiter running somwewhere

And also stop calling it adaptive vsync, it's "1/2 refresh rate vsync", nothing adaptive about it. It's only the tear control that you can set to adaptive.

And yes, 1/2 rate refresh vsync has never worked in P3D, it needs true full screen mode.

20 minutes ago, neumanix said:

And also stop calling it adaptive vsync, it's "1/2 refresh rate vsync", nothing adaptive about it. It's only the tear control that you can set to adaptive.

And yes, 1/2 rate refresh vsync has never worked in P3D, it needs true full screen mode.

well, my NVIDIA CP says:

Adaptive (half refresh rate)

I hope you dont mind if i keep calling it adaptive Vsync...

7 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Yes. Must have had an external limiter running somwewhere

I know that it requires exclusive full screen mode, but i also know for sure that it was working for me until a few months ago. And no, i dont use an external FPS limiter as i never had any positive experience with external FPS limiters and P3D. 

22 minutes ago, woozie said:

I know that it requires exclusive full screen mode, but i also know for sure that it was working for me until a few months ago. And no, i dont use an external FPS limiter as i never had any positive experience with external FPS limiters and P3D. 

As you said, it requires exclusive full screen mode. P3D doesn't have it so it simply can't work. As I said, something else was causing your situation not 1/2 refresh rate vsync. It's just not possible. That's also the reason why people are buying monitors capable of 30Hz because it produces similar results as 1/2 refresh rate vsync used to in FSX. If you'd have working 1/2 rt vsync in P3D it would legitimately count as a miracle :smile:

7 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

As you said, it requires exclusive full screen mode. P3D doesn't have it so it simply can't work. As I said, something else was causing your situation not 1/2 refresh rate vsync. It's just not possible. That's also the reason why people are buying monitors capable of 30Hz because it produces similar results as 1/2 refresh rate vsync used to in FSX. If you'd have working 1/2 rt vsync in P3D it would legitimately count as a miracle :smile:

Given how many headaches P3D gave me already it was about time for a miracle ;)

But yes, its strange that it was working for some time. I'm wondering if its related to the blackout desktop setting which has an influence on how P3D's fullscreen mode is working. 

2 hours ago, woozie said:

Given how many headaches P3D gave me already it was about time for a miracle ;)

But yes, its strange that it was working for some time. I'm wondering if its related to the blackout desktop setting which has an influence on how P3D's fullscreen mode is working. 

no its not related. P3D does not have any ability to run in true full screen regardless of any settings, blackout or otherwise. 1/2 refresh does not work in anything other than true full screen. Its a limitation of the drivers. There have been many attempts at getting it to work with a multitude of settings tried. Without the true full screen its not possible

@Woozie - the ONLY time it oculd have worked would have been a year or so ago BEFORE LM introduced the "psuedo" full screen mode. After they made that change, it is just impossible for it to work. Whatever you saw was due to something else NOT the HRR. Since there is no full screen, the blackout setting has no effect.

You saw something change but we can assure you it had NOTHING to do with 1/2 refresh rate.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

20 hours ago, vgbaron said:

@Woozie - the ONLY time it oculd have worked would have been a year or so ago BEFORE LM introduced the "psuedo" full screen mode. After they made that change, it is just impossible for it to work. Whatever you saw was due to something else NOT the HRR. Since there is no full screen, the blackout setting has no effect.

You saw something change but we can assure you it had NOTHING to do with 1/2 refresh rate.

Vic

could be, i like to take it slow when it comes to P3D updates

I had the exact same thing happening to me a while ago. I always used to be running FSX in Windows 7, until I upgraded to Windows 10 last summer. Didn't really play FSX during that period, but as soon as I got serious about it again, I noticed VSync wasn't working. Note this is FSX and not P3D. 

A solution was never found, until I rolled back to Windows 7 and it was working again. It allegedly had something to do with my type of hardware (Intel Sandy Bridge) having some kind of problem in Windows 10, a problem I can't remember anymore, it's in that thread somewhere.

Anyway, I don't think I am good help here, because I had this in FSX and couldn't solve it, but just wanted to let you know you're not the only one. And by the way, Vsync 1/2 does not work in P3D, at least not it its current state.

I wonder if LM will ever be able to get VSync 1/2 to work with their pseudo full screen mode? Or is this technically impossible in any application? 

In fact, it was also working for me, but only if I use non Aero theme. If I switch to Aero, 1/2 doesn't have any impact on fps. It is very bad because it is not possible to have a fluid experience as in FSX :( 

Yes this was working also in p3d even version 4.. No placebo or that kind.. Vsync in Nvidia control panel was controling the vsync in p3d i did numerous of test with it the external frame counters they all displayed the the current refresh rate of the monitor in p3d with the vsync off in p3d. It worked so dont be a dear saying it never worked.

Not this again. It can't work, it's not possible. If you were seeing this result you're describing, it was caused by something else, not adaptive half refresh rate vsync. I'm also a bit confused by what you're actually describing. You said, "they all displayed the current refresh rate of the monitor"... but did it display half refresh rate of the monitor, so, for example, 30FPS where 60FPS can't be reached? I don't think so. Again, it's not technically possible! Stop this nonsense or provide some evidence.