Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

P3D v 4 in beta?

Being mostly an X-Plane user (I do have P3D), I have a question. Does P3D v3 make better use of multicore CPUs unlike FSX or is this something we are hoping to see in v4?

Most of the conversions from 32 to 64 for xplane when it went to 64bit either didnt charge or charged very little from what I recall

But that's X-Plane. Extremely detailed 757v2 goes for $65 ($45 with discount) while PMDG planes for $135.

In P3D/FSX everyone charages as much as they can. With few exceptions of course. 

But that's X-Plane. Extremely detailed 757v2 goes for $65 ($45 with discount) while PMDG planes for $135.

I don't recall spending a dime to upgrade anything, but I think the real reason was that they didn't actually change to a full major version (and still provided a 32bit exe). It was still X-Plane v10 and most products were sold to work on X-Plane 10, so I think it actually has more to do with not having any choice in the matter, I don't think anyone knew when v10 came out that it would go 64-bit halfway through.

Also, I'm very grateful to ORBX for letting me use their products throughout FSX/P3D with free updates, it was a generous choice on their part when you compare how other developers have charged. 

• Upvote 2

10 or 20 bucks for a 64bit upgrade with revamped lightning and other improvements?? Come on...I would pay 4 digits for that. Of course, my willingness to pay is borderline absurd when it comes to simulators.

i was referring to the addons themselves not to the core sim. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Ah ok - I thought you were looking for LM to offer v4 for $20 upgrade :)

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Would be interesting to see if they are going to provide decent stock airports - that would tell me how much work they are putting into this version

Also, I'm very grateful to ORBX for letting me use their products throughout FSX/P3D with free updates, it was a generous choice on their part when you compare how other developers have charged. 

The orbx update fees should be interesting - looks like a lot more spending involved 

Rich Sennett

The orbx update fees should be interesting - looks like a lot more spending involved 

Indeed, I think overall it's going to be an expensive year if you use multiple sims. Seems like we may also get DTG at some point, XP11 will go final and Aerofly 2 is moving forward with ORBX's support. I can't help but try them all :)

Indeed, I think overall it's going to be an expensive year if you use multiple sims. Seems like we may also get DTG at some point, XP11 will go final and Aerofly 2 is moving forward with ORBX's support. I can't help but try them all :)

Hi Tony I'll stick with XP11 - spent ton all ready - getting a bit out of control

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Having tried XP more than a few times, and on a friends PC who has many add on's, I never was able to get the feeling of immersion that I get with P3D. Don't know whether it is because of all the things lacking like seasons, great clouds, ATC, or really good aircraft, but always felt disappointed. I don't hold out much hope for DTG, since spending a few years with their Trainsim and seeing the way they release products with faults that are never fixed, I can't imagine what their sim is going to be like. I imagine that when P3D 64 bit comes out, it will be like the release of FSX, where very slow movement from P3D 32 bit to 64 bit will be the reality, taking maybe a year or two before P3D 64 has any substantial market share compared to the 32 bit version. Look at all the people that are still flying FS9.  

• Upvote 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Having tried XP more than a few times, and on a friends PC who has many add on's, I never was able to get the feeling of immersion that I get with P3D. Don't know whether it is because of all the things lacking like seasons, great clouds, ATC, or really good aircraft, but always felt disappointed. I don't hold out much hope for DTG, since spending a few years with their Trainsim and seeing the way they release products with faults that are never fixed, I can't imagine what their sim is going to be like. I imagine that when P3D 64 bit comes out, it will be like the release of FSX, where very slow movement from P3D 32 bit to 64 bit will be the reality, taking maybe a year or two before P3D 64 has any substantial market share compared to the 32 bit version. Look at all the people that are still flying FS9.

Same here regarding XP11. Got all excited and installed it. First run, crash. Spent the better part of a Saturday trying to figure out why the stock 172 was uncontrollable going down the runway. As it turned out, there is no sensitivity adjustment for the toe brake axis. Searched several forums and found many others in the same boat. I was told it was a beta and to file a bug report.

Are you kidding me?

This prodigal son went home. :>)

• Upvote 2

It is hard to understand the somewhat gloomy out look so many are expressing here about the ability of P3d to make the change to the 64K world. The X-plane bunch seem to have made the transition with out waiting to 2018 like someone mentioned. DTG does not seem to worry changing to 64 bit although that is at least so far vaporware in my mind....we will see. Even Aerofly as small and new as they are do not seem worry about it. I have not seen anyone going into a melt down on how much a 64 bit add on is going to cost for DTG. I think if all these other companies can muddle thru 64bit then LM will probably have a plan also. Having said that, I do expect that the future of P3D will continue to be a bit more costly. Why...very simple...Prepar3d is a "simulator" being developed by a contractor who operates in the real world of training. They have choosen to share a lot of that Tech with us. All the others are "games" and are being developed by gaming companies. Being a game is in no way a bad thing. I can not say that enough. I difference is a bit like buying Golf Clubs. The ones at Wallmart work great for the large group of us weekend players while the serious guys are going to pay more at the Pro shop for their clubs.

• Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Having tried XP more than a few times, and on a friends PC who has many add on's, I never was able to get the feeling of immersion that I get with P3D. Don't know whether it is because of all the things lacking like seasons, great clouds, ATC, or really good aircraft, but always felt disappointed.

I can understand that. It took me a long time to get used to X-Plane and to begin using it as my main sim with all my ORBX stuff, but that's because I'm a developer and I could easily make my own scenery for X-Plane which is what had me hooked when I made my home town (Something that looked quite bad with ORBX). However, I really like P3D's bloom effect, trees, water and weather and wish I could have those features in X-Plane, so no sim is perfect for me and I'm happy to switch to whatever suits my mood at the time. So I'll repeat and say that I'm very very curious what the new lighting engine will look like, and if it beats X-Plane then I hold no loyalties to that platform and I'm quite excited to see what v4 will be.

I imagine that when P3D 64 bit comes out, it will be like the release of FSX, where very slow movement from P3D 32 bit to 64 bit will be the reality, taking maybe a year or two before P3D 64 has any substantial market share compared to the 32 bit version

At least with FS9/FSX some scenery would still work. If LM want to move forward with the sim they are going to have to break backwards compatibility and that's really going to hurt. However I think some of the big devs are already well into development with v4 and probably have had betas for some time. So who knows.

• Upvote 5

I'm most intrigued, as mentioned above, about this "new lighting".  Anything in that category of possibly "amazing" (as lighting engines can be) always peaks my interest.

Making it 64 bit will to some degree offer better performance. A 64 bit application allows most data processing to take place in memory, without any need for temporary disk storage. That alone can help free up processes. Of cause the memory must be manage otherwise it will cripple the system just as much as the 32 bit application. I for one am very excited about a 64 bit version.

As a side note, take Falcon 4 BMS. That is now a 64 bit platform, the performance is amazing and look at all the new features they are including.

If LM want to move forward with the sim they are going to have to break backwards compatibility and that's really going to hurt

I wish they would already - It's gotten to the point where some of the really old elements that go all the way back to the FS versions should be dropped in favor of progress.

To do otherwise is to repeat issues that held back Windows itself for far too long (not coincidental that FS was a MS product of course...the irony is not lost on me)