Sign in to follow this  
silentsage

Problem with Glide Slope Capture

On 2017-02-17 at 4:08 PM, downscc said:

Not this guy.  Been flying for four decades..., just pointing out that it can be done.  I've had ATC do it to me real world.

I agree with Downscc on this. I am still an active commercial pilot for a large carrier here in Canada and ATC still does it to us everywhere. It's really not that big a deal and energy management in large commercial aircraft is really what it's all about 

3 hours ago, AirCanada235 said:

I agree with Downscc on this. I am still an active commercial pilot for a large carrier here in Canada and ATC still does it to us everywhere. It's really not that big a deal and energy management in large commercial aircraft is really what it's all about 

RW - I don't mind capturing the G/S from above for a visual,  but I refuse to accept an approach where I am capturing the G/S from above when I am IMC or at night.  I've been down that false G/S (captured from above) road on more than one occasion and learned the perils early in my flying career.  Fortunately a false G/S is not a problem in FSX/P3d. :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

36 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

RW - I don't mind capturing the G/S from above for a visual,  but I refuse to accept an approach where I am capturing the G/S from above when I am IMC or at night.  I've been down that false G/S (captured from above) road on more than one occasion and learned the perils early in my flying career.  Fortunately a false G/S is not a problem in FSX/P3d. :smile:

blaustern

Never had an issue RW in IMC or VMC. If glideslope or localizer reliability is an issue at a specific airport - primarily due to terrain, it would be indicated on the approach plate and ATC would vector your accordingly.  The only issue I have ever run in to is in extreme cold temperatures early in my flying career when we did a trip down to Mcmurdo station.  Wasn't an ILS but the F/O didnt do his cold weather corrections properly!

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I've been down that false G/S (captured from above) road on more than one occasion

I'd like to hear more about that.  The GS beam is only about 1.4 deg vertical along the glide path and secondary or false "beams" can be due to side lobes from the transmitting antennas; however they are generally widely spaced vertically from the glide slope.  One might be encountered for example if you were a couple of thousand feet above glideslope.  To have encountered a "false" glideslope anywhere near the "true" glideslope would be very interesting.  Where did that happen and what were the circumstances?

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, downscc said:

To have encountered a "false" glideslope anywhere near the "true" glideslope would be very interesting.  Where did that happen and what were the circumstances?

Not quite a false glideslope (normally encountered, as you say, above the glideslope at multiples of the true glideslope angle) but an interesting incident nonetheless: http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/asi:nz-60

5 hours ago, downscc said:

I'd like to hear more about that.  The GS beam is only about 1.4 deg vertical along the glide path and secondary or false "beams" can be due to side lobes from the transmitting antennas; however they are generally widely spaced vertically from the glide slope.  One might be encountered for example if you were a couple of thousand feet above glideslope.  To have encountered a "false" glideslope anywhere near the "true" glideslope would be very interesting.  Where did that happen and what were the circumstances?

Hi Dan,

The first time was at Cairnes where I was vectored to the LOC at an altitude well above the GS when cleared for the approach.   

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

14 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Hi Dan,

The first time was at Cairnes where I was vectored to the LOC at an altitude well above the GS when cleared for the approach.   

blaustern

Oh wow... cleared for the ILS approach? How far outside the FAF?  Did you decline or accept the clearance? The highest any ATC has put me above GS is only 500 ft a little less than a mile outside FAF thankfully.  One of the thrills of global flying, eh?

Thanks Simon, that is the first I've seen of that incident.  Simply failed to understand the NOTAM wow.

Dan Downs KCRP

Had this exact same problem with the tutorial.

the trick is to match the trajectory with the guide slope, there is a magneta vertical diamond you have to hit before G/S locks.

you can manipulate the speed with air breaks to hit this diamond

once you hit that diamond, there is an audio cue, the standby G/S replaces vnav, and you are set for auto-land

5 hours ago, looper_1234 said:

once you hit that diamond, there is an audio cue, the standby G/S replaces vnav, and you are set for auto-land

Hi,

Just for info, the post you are answering to is quite old, almost 8 months ago! :biggrin:

The audio cue you are referring to must be one of the approach markers because there is no audio sound when you catch the glide. And just for further reference, it takes a bit more to be set for an autoland than just being established on the glide. :wink:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I am reasonably sure that I have captured the GS from above, but I agree that it is much better to do it the other way around!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png