Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

Frame rates fluctuating FSE-SE

12 hours ago, N1125Y said:

..honestly, I'll reimburse somebody for his time and expertise ..just need to get this thing up & flying, I see all those Youtube Vid on the big copmlex AC with tons of addons and it's all look so smooth and obvious, and all i need is to fly my little Cessna in SoCal ..what a frustration  :sendu:    

Orbx SoCal can be quite heavy on performance.. so do not expect a steady 30 fps there, no matter what.  Panning around will also force scenery loading and fps impacts..

Maybe what you are observing is the limit of what your system can produce in real time.

Suggest focus on enjoying the flying and forget about the fps counter - turn the darn thing off!

Bert

Your anti-aliasing settings look a bit high for the card you are using.

You could also try running DX10 as it runs better under load than DX9 does.

The default Texture Bandwidth Mult for FSX-SE is 160. Your card can easily handle it.

Other than that, try deleting your config file and not to apply any tweaks to it. Modern systems don't really need them.

If you're having performance issues, it's a sign your settings are too high and your system can't handle it.

It's is probably just that your machine can't handle the load. Lowering settings is the only way out of that or upgrading your machine. Your settings are very high, higher than mine even though my machine is more powerful than yours

• Try ditching the HD textures and lower your Texture Max Load to 1024.
  • Like Jeff said, run it DX10. There's really no point in sticking with DX9 now that Steve's fixer exits. 
  • Terrain all max -- too high, lower mesh resolution to 10 and texture resolution to 1m, maybe mesh complexity to 75 if you don't see results. 
  • Water - 2xlow not highx1 - in DX9 it's not a good idea to go above 2xlow. 
  • Turn off all shadows if you have them on - major performance hit in DX9 (again why you should go for DX10)
  • Turn off bloom if you have it on 
  • Autogen settings - major performance hit, your system should be able to handle Dense if turn down some other settings
  • Add Bufferpools in your config. With your card Poolsize=0 will probably give you a boost. You may see artifacts in which case you can fix that with water set to 2xhigh, but then you'll lose the befefit of bufferpools in the first place. Again, DX10 is better. 

Hope this helps

Andre

18 hours ago, magnetite said:

Your anti-aliasing settings look a bit high for the card you are using.

He's only running at 1920x1080 so should have no problems with a GTX 970. I run the same settings in FSX with my 970 at 2560x1440 without any issues.

N1125Y - your machine should run OK at these settings but, just to be sure, if you don't already have some sort of hardware monitor it's worth downloading something like MSI Afterburner to check the performance: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner. Ignore the overclocking settings and just look at the hardware monitors. Select the GPU and CPU1 usage and temperatures specifically under the Monitoring tab in the settings. It shows several minutes of data so you don't need to be watching it continuously. If the GPU/CPU usage is regularly hitting 100% then you have a bottleneck. Similarly, if the temperatures are very high (80+) then that could also be an indication of a hardware problem.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Also, if you're using DX9, try deselecting the in-game anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering settings and set them in NVIDIA Profile Inspector instead (and maybe try bilinear filtering in FSX). This stops FSX doing the work and moves it to the drivers. I haven't used DX9 for quite some time but seem to recall that this gave better performance.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

..Hey guys and needles to say that all your support is highly appreciate,

I'll try the DX10 maybe this will bring salvation ... lol 

But, and I'm d .... serious about it , and please excuse me for my ignorance, how comes that Simmers with the same spec as mine i5 at 4.2Ghz and GTX970 about 10% OC running FSX with sliders all (or almost) all the way to the right , loading Heavy big complex Birds, tons of addons and AI, weather generators, and the hell know what else, reporting smooth and high sim performance, and me the little guy that fly little Cessna covering a very limited distances in SoCal, and the only addon is FTX SoCal is struggling with performance and need to compromise on quality, after all FSX is way over 10 years old and whoever design it didn't have the power of current machines ... do I need to to lease Super Computer like "Tianhe", maybe some skills deficiencies, or what ????

Yair

BTW

Funny, I had 6 years old AMD Phenom X4 with Radeaon GPU, AND I was told not to expect any satisfactory performance unless I'll upgrade and move to intel & NVEDIA base system, let me tell you that as of now, the old AMD did not leg behind the more recent and up scaled Rig ....  :biggrin:

What performance do you get if you fly outside the Orbx region?

As mentioned above, FTX SoCal is pretty heavy on performance and some users avoid it, for that reason.

One more thing - turn off all traffic as a test. Road traffic in particular..

Bert

If others are getting better performance with the same system specs are you, it might be your tweaks in the config file. Or they could be running DX10, which runs better under load than DX9 does.

..don't use traffic at all  .... 

Tweaking, well, I'm not a tech Savvy and due to luck of knowledge i have to use some references so I'm using AVSIM Guide as a reference for the cfg and Inspector

No FTX, means going to Stock, can't argue, but it seems weird to me, and if it is so it is for me "Beso de muerte" as a simmer ... 

Running out of the FTX get me the same thing, Spikes in Frame rate (I have no issue with the frams when they steady on 30, everything is actually, looks very good) it goes from 30 to 2-3 and up to 30 again, so I'm kind of doubt it is FTX .....        

Bless

Yair

4 hours ago, N1125Y said:

how comes that Simmers with the same spec as mine i5 at 4.2Ghz and GTX970 about 10% OC running FSX with sliders all (or almost) all the way to the right , loading Heavy big complex Birds, tons of addons and AI, weather generators, and the hell know what else, reporting smooth and high sim performance,

The answer is, they probably can't. Like I said above, those youtube videos are probably heavily edited. Multiple takes, showing only what looks good, leaving the blurry stuff on the cutting room floor, running the sim on half or slower speed while running the video faster, dubbing the audio over the video....you name it. As for what people say on forums....well, this is the internet. :-)

btw, have a look at thousands of requests for help over the years with performance related issues with FSX and/or P3D, even from people with high end systems. They way outnumber the people who claim to be running things with Orbx, PMDG and "everything to the right" settings. 

My tip, lower your settings and stop fretting. So much time wasted trying to trim this freakin' sim. Lower the settings and just fly

Andre

..Andre. may I ask what is you spec and what do you get performance wise out of your Rig 

I'll try with DX10 ( another $29) ... but again it is not so the performance as much as those annoying spikes, I moved the Slider to the left and still the same problem, so my sense tells me that something other than the load is wrong cause it 

Yair

7 hours ago, N1125Y said:

..Andre. may I ask what is you spec and what do you get performance wise out of your Rig 

I'll try with DX10 ( another $29) ... but again it is not so the performance as much as those annoying spikes, I moved the Slider to the left and still the same problem, so my sense tells me that something other than the load is wrong cause it 

Yair

Of course. I run FSX-SE on an i7 6700k overclocked @4.6 with a GTX 1070, 16gb RAM @2666. I run DX10 with Steve's fixer and cloud shaddows addon. I fly mostly with PMDG aircraft. I don't get noticeable framerate drops at all, but I do have probolems with (slightly) blurry textures on occasion. Can't get rid of them even if I turn the settings down. Can't tweak them out. I've learned to live with it. This smoothness may or may not be a result of DX10. I don't know. I never ran FSX in DX9 on this machine.

My settings are definietly not "all to the right". Mesh res @10, textures @1m, autogen @dense, water @high mid (a must for cloud shadows to appear), airline traffic with My traffic 6 @8 - the rest off. I have shadows and bloom on. It would seem that in DX10 they are not nearly as performance heavy. I have lots of things turned off in Orbx Vector because the machine can't handle it with them on. I don't run HD textures - TML @1024. All cloud textures @512. Necessary compromises. You can't see that much difference anyway.

I can post my config at some point. I don't have access right now. Just note, that my config is not necessarily the answer for someone else's machine.

Andre

I hesitate to step into this conversation as I don't have anything like the computer expertise of the others on this thread. But have you checked that there isn't a program running in the background - either legal or malware. Last night I was having the same experience. Used the old ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager and had a look. Something was causing HUGE spikes when I checked peformance. So I went to the services tab and shut down everything it would let me shut down. Restarted FSX-SE and voila - was back to my usual 30 fps. I have no idea which one was the culprit but it's idiot-proof as it won't let you shut down anything that's needed to keep your system running. If it keeps happening I'm taking my PC to the nearest Microsoft shop (my daughter in law is one of their techs!) and have them do a full check - which they do for free!!!!!

21 hours ago, andreh said:

Of course. I run FSX-SE on an i7 6700k overclocked @4.6 with a GTX 1070, 16gb RAM @2666. I run DX10 with Steve's fixer and cloud shaddows addon. I fly mostly with PMDG aircraft. I don't get noticeable framerate drops at all, but I do have probolems with (slightly) blurry textures on occasion. Can't get rid of them even if I turn the settings down. Can't tweak them out. I've learned to live with it. This smoothness may or may not be a result of DX10. I don't know. I never ran FSX in DX9 on this machine.

My settings are definietly not "all to the right". Mesh res @10, textures @1m, autogen @dense, water @high mid (a must for cloud shadows to appear), airline traffic with My traffic 6 @8 - the rest off. I have shadows and bloom on. It would seem that in DX10 they are not nearly as performance heavy. I have lots of things turned off in Orbx Vector because the machine can't handle it with them on. I don't run HD textures - TML @1024. All cloud textures @512. Necessary compromises. You can't see that much difference anyway.

I can post my config at some point. I don't have access right now. Just note, that my config is not necessarily the answer for someone else's machine.

Andre

tnx Andre ....

Well, as mentioned I'm running the i5-4690k at 4.2GHZ (Prime95 approved) and the GTX970 slightly OC (Valley Benchmark for few hours. no issues) ..and no AI and nothing beside FTX SoCal package, so it is as close as possible to the "Stock".

I don't think the frame Spikes and fluctuation are due to luck of resources (I monitor all components remotely and all looks very good) ..must be something else then ....

Now. if you can post or shot me your FSX.cfg along with you NV Inspector that will be great 

Cheers

Yair

I do have issues with CTD when log out off or aborting the flight Sim, the famous ntdll.dll along with D3d9.dll errors (Dxdiag tell me everything is ok I send all info to Dovetail support)      

9 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I hesitate to step into this conversation as I don't have anything like the computer expertise of the others on this thread. But have you checked that there isn't a program running in the background - either legal or malware. Last night I was having the same experience. Used the old ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager and had a look. Something was causing HUGE spikes when I checked peformance. So I went to the services tab and shut down everything it would let me shut down. Restarted FSX-SE and voila - was back to my usual 30 fps. I have no idea which one was the culprit but it's idiot-proof as it won't let you shut down anything that's needed to keep your system running. If it keeps happening I'm taking my PC to the nearest Microsoft shop (my daughter in law is one of their techs!) and have them do a full check - which they do for free!!!!!

..never thought about it...but u know what, I'll try this a well, the thing is that if you don't know which service is responsible, and you have no idea if you are shutting down something vital .... but I will try, and will post an update 

Reg.

Yair