Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Taburet Night Lighting - Spain and Portugal...

I bought some of his products in FSX days. I still wonder what surplus it added ... .

I think night time is already excellent, and there are some freeware mods that make it even better.

(Disclaimer, this is my opinion, mileage may and will vary, but I will not give money to products that do not substantially improve my setup).

I use stuff like this in FSX for areas with photoreal scenery, because I usually exclude all autogen, roads, trees etc. from photoreal scenery, which also removes night lighting outside of airports.

I bought some of his products in FSX days. I still wonder what surplus it added ... .

I think night time is already excellent, and there are some freeware mods that make it even better.

(Disclaimer, this is my opinion, mileage may and will vary, but I will not give money to products that do not substantially improve my setup).

Another words, some products can be construed as "snake oil".  :smile:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Another words, some products can be construed as "snake oil".  :smile:

I would not go that far, he does do add something. But I question if it is enough for me to warrant the expense.

I would not call him fraudulent or a charlatan.

One could argue he is not putting much effort in his products, and there is plenty of freeware that do the same, or better, out there, especially for X-Plane.

I would not go that far, he does do add something. But I question if it is enough for me to warrant the expense.

I would not call him fraudulent or a charlatan.

One could argue he is not putting much effort in his products, and there is plenty of freeware that do the same, or better, out there, especially for X-Plane.

I didn't mean for my response to sound so condescending or harsh.  I know this person has put together some great stuff for FSX and P3D, which for those two, it is very helpful.  My initial though though was similar to yours, in that, why change a great thing?  So you add a couple of plugins and add-ons from the freeware that do almost the same thing and if it still isn't to your liking, then go with a paid application, but as you say, it's all about whether it's enough to warrant the cost.

I only used the term "snake oil", because in the past, we've all come across applications that make incredible claims, only to disappoint later on.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I didn't mean for my response to sound so condescending or harsh.  I know this person has put together some great stuff for FSX and P3D, which for those two, it is very helpful.  My initial though though was similar to yours, in that, why change a great thing?  So you add a couple of plugins and add-ons from the freeware that do almost the same thing and if it still isn't to your liking, then go with a paid application, but as you say, it's all about whether it's enough to warrant the cost.

I only used the term "snake oil", because in the past, we've all come across applications that make incredible claims, only to disappoint later on.

yes, must agree here. I used his replacement textures for FSX, they were a bit better then default, but ORBx blew them out the water. Since I have switched to X-Plane, never looked back.

I was surprised seeing him making an appearance on the X-Plane scene.

Hoping for a global base pack for USA & Europe  - picked it up for P3D and it was amazing also the viewable light distance was way better - hope they can offer these products for XP - been in contact and he will see what he can do - great developer and support   :dance:

Rich Sennett

I'm sorry to be a little dim here, but what exactly does this product do? It already looks great at night so I'm confused

I'm sorry to be a little dim here, but what exactly does this product do? It already looks great at night so I'm confused

Have to wait and see but in P3D it made a big difference in the amount of lights seen in distance was night and day and hoping for the same in XP    :wink:

Rich Sennett

I *think* that it doesn't do much (or anything?) to the lights themselves, rather it looks like it adds lit textures to the ground underneath the lights. I could be wrong, but the screenshots seem to show lit ground textures much like MSFS urban night textures.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm not sure, to me that's just HDR lights illuminating the ground (maybe they are just much brigther). Watching carefully it seems they just modified the lights.txt file like the freeware packages to give more colour?

I thought perhaps it was an OSM based scenery with real street lights or something similar but I really can't see what it does. I'm reluctant to spend money just to see, but I'm happy to support devs who improve the sim in a positive way. @jcomm what does this do, any chance of some before or after shots?

I *think* that it doesn't do much (or anything?) to the lights themselves, rather it looks like it adds lit textures to the ground underneath the lights. I could be wrong, but the screenshots seem to show lit ground textures much like MSFS urban night textures.

Not sure what it will provide in XP but in P3D it definitely made a huge difference in view range and amount of lights being shown - different platform so might not be as drastic 

Rich Sennett