Sign in to follow this  
ApacheHunter

Unable to modify route/discontinuity

I'm currently in a situation where I can't solve a route discontinuity. In fact, I'm unable to do anything on the LEGS or RTE pages at all. It just ignores every input and I can only navigate using HDG SEL. I can hardly imagine this is correct behavior. I hope you can help me!

7MOhUWg.jpg

EDIT: I just now tried selecting a DEP/ARR to try if that would resolve the problem. However, even when I try the LSK for a specific runway, it displays 'INVALID ENTRY' on the scratchpad.

EDIT2: I found a workaround by loading the route into RTE2, so I can resume LNAV navigation. However, when trying to load the route into RTE1 again, I get 'NO ROUTES AVAILABLE'.

Kevin Schepers

I had the same problem on my way to PHNL i put in my arrival and i got into i guess a loop where the fmc wouldnt cancel the FPLN in RTE 1. i reset it by re inserting the departure and arrival after clearing the RTE. im not completely sure if its a  bug or not. you problem is similar to mine but mine was created differently. 

LSK PUT into top line, accept the CRS To 072 and press EXEC then turn ON LNAV.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you all for your replies!

Dan, thanks for your suggestion, but neither of those things worked in this situation. Anything I tried to add, change, delete, etc. was just ignored by the FMC, without messages or anything.

Kyle, the route was generated by PFPX and loaded into the FMC through the request flight plan feature on the RTE page. When I used RTE2 as a workaround I used the same procedure.

If the CDU wasn't responding to your key entries then I suspect a buggy panel state.

Dan Downs KCRP

If the CDU wasn't responding to your key entries then I suspect a buggy panel state.

Yes - do you often resume with the same situation where you left off last time -- for example arrive at PHNL, save flight, come back the next day and load that same PHNL saved flight?  Often repeated use of the same panel state or one derived from it causes weird problems.

If you want to start where you left off, you can still the load a default panel state once your saved situation is reloaded.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Yes, I did use a saved panel state. I guess that was the problem. It was my second 'real' flight with the new 747. The first was from EHAM to KJFK; this one was the other way around. After landing at KJFK I saved the flight, loaded it and flew back to Amsterdam.

I use this practice with the NGX all the time. I always load a saved flight (and thus a saved panel state) and never have any problems. It's probably dozens of flights since I last started a flight from scratch in the NGX. Never had any issues with that plane.

Kyle, I tend to agree with you, as I have never had any problems with saved panel states before (in the NGX, that is). What could be wrong with the route?

What could be wrong with the route?

Data in there not in compliance with the proper formatting of our RTE files.

Kyle Rodgers

Members
205 posts

Posted Today, 02:30 AM

Yes, I did use a saved panel state. I guess that was the problem. It was my second 'real' flight with the new 747. The first was from EHAM to KJFK; this one was the other way around. After landing at KJFK I saved the flight, loaded it and flew back to Amsterdam.

I use this practice with the NGX all the time. I always load a saved flight (and thus a saved panel state) and never have any problems. It's probably dozens of flights since I last started a flight from scratch in the NGX. Never had any issues with that plane.

Why not just try the same route from the same source with one of the default panel states and see if the problem goes away?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I had a similar problem like I stated earlier but it wasn't caused by a loaded route or a panel state. I was on my way to PHNL and I was inputting my arrival in flight and I after I put the arrival in . I clicked INTC on the legs page and it removed all of my waypoints and only the ones for the approach. Them Everytime I tried removing the waypoints or removing the route I kept getting invalid error and the FMC kept flashing black and resetting itself . The right FMC worked better but Everytime I tried clearing the waypoints it didn't work. So eventually I fixed it by. Putting in a new arrival and destination in the INIT page and manually putting in the routes again.

Rason Bryant

Data in there not in compliance with the proper formatting of our RTE files.

I think that could be true and then the culprit would be PFPX. Are the RTE files for the 747 any different from the NGX/777 ones?

Why not just try the same route from the same source with one of the default panel states and see if the problem goes away?

Mike

As soon as I find time for another flight, I will!  :wink:

I had a similar problem like I stated earlier but it wasn't caused by a loaded route or a panel state. I was on my way to PHNL and I was inputting my arrival in flight and I after I put the arrival in . I clicked INTC on the legs page and it removed all of my waypoints and only the ones for the approach. Them Everytime I tried removing the waypoints or removing the route I kept getting invalid error and the FMC kept flashing black and resetting itself . The right FMC worked better but Everytime I tried clearing the waypoints it didn't work. So eventually I fixed it by. Putting in a new arrival and destination in the INIT page and manually putting in the routes again.

Rason Bryant

I see. However, in my case it didn't allow me to change anything.

Yesterday, I had a similar issue where the FMC would not let me line select waypoints on top of each other.

Route: CYVR-YVR9 (SID)-VR-HUH-SEA-J65 LMT-TUDOR2 (STAR)-KSMF

Departing from CYVR runway 26R. The first waypoint on the YVR9 are VECTORS. Departure was flown with HDG SEL and VNAV. When I tried to line select VR on top a few miles west of the airport, VR appeared in the scratchpad, but would not go on top. Same with the other waypoints (e.g. line selecting HUH on top of VR same problem). I solved this by creating a RTE2. Never had this problem in the NGX.

Route was entered manually.