Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

FireFighter X 1.78 released

64bit: no way to tell. The architecture itself is not an issue, that is just a different build in the SDE.

But everything will depend on if and how the SimConnect API is ported over - if it has the same functionality, the same capabilities, the same methods. If this API is radically changed, FireFighter X and many of the currently well-known addons will simply cease to function - and if it is changed enough, all these addons would have to be implemented a second time (ActiveSky, FSUIPC, EZDOK, ChasePlane, all aircraft with programmatic gauges, the list goes on). There is just no way of knowing now, but there is hope - PMDG would probably not have made their broad statement about future compatibility if they weren't reasonably sure that they would be able to keep it.

For example, Dovetail chose not to port SimConnect at all into their FlightSchool - that is why there is no chance for programmatic addons to communicate with it. That line is cut for good.

LORBY-SI

For the rising updraft in a fire to work, does ThermalDescriptions.xml need to be set to default? I have that file disabled and it could be the reason why I am not getting updrafts although I can see them over the fire if I turn on the visualize thermals option.

Fantastic product. My plane caught fire the other day when I flew too low over the fire site!

I don't think that config file has any impact, it is for autogen thermals. But the spec doesn't tell.

The updrafts in FFX are thermals too, but they are created with the respective SimConnect methods. If you can see them in the sim, they should be effective - it is up to the simulator to show their effects though, FFX does not interfere. So if there was another addon, maybe weather related, it could suppress them - or they are just not effective on that particular aircraft model. Can you post a screenshot of what those thermals over a fire look like in your sim?

LORBY-SI

Thanks Lorby makes sense. I do have two apps that potentially impact thermals running at the same time both AS16 and CumulusX. I can't post a screenshot because I am in VR but basically it is a spiral column changing in colour over the top of the fire. By the way, well done on the graphics, the fire and smoke looks surprisingly convincing in VR and low impact FPS too considering that the sim was never designed for special features like these.