Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Shhh, Laminar is Watching!

...but in a good way.

Ben has the metrics in, so see for yourselves:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2017/02/usage-data-for-x-plane-10-11/

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I would posit that although metrics for XP10 are bound to be representative of general use, the metrics for XP11 don't mean much at this point. A lot of us aren't fully setting up XP11 with all the aircraft & scenery that we might once it hits release.

Still very interesting to see though.

I often wonder how many odd-use cases skew the statistics. For example, I've spent 100's of hours in XP10 for scenery development purposes on my laptop, where I don't have any controls other than a mouse plugged in.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for posting.

What amazes me is the 2GB range. It was not so long ago that I was in that group and the sim just does not run well. Maybe at the time I was blind to it, but after jumping from 15fps to 60 there is really no going back.

Additonally 31.81% Mac users. Time to start taking us Mac fans seriously.

I would posit that although metrics for XP10 are bound to be representative of general use, the metrics for XP11 don't mean much at this point. A lot of us aren't fully setting up XP11 with all the aircraft & scenery that we might once it hits release.

This is very much true. I don't use purchased aircraft in XP11 because they simply don't work.

Additonally 31.81% Mac users. Time to start taking us Mac fans seriously.

What other choice for a full featured sim do Mac users have?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What other choice for a full featured sim do Mac users have?

Bootcamp, sad but true.

I often wonder how many odd-use cases skew the statistics. For example, I've spent 100's of hours in XP10 for scenery development purposes on my laptop, where I don't have any controls other than a mouse plugged in.

If you read down in the comments section, someone makes mention about mouse usage, to which it's said that that info was recorded.  I'm guilty of it, if I'm in the middle of other things and discover a new airport or plugin available, and after download and install, I'll fire up XP and check it out, but with no flight controller attached.

The metrica aren't an exact science, and as it's pointed out, XP11 info is still too early to gauge, but I think it gives LR a base to work from for progression's sake.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

...and I suspect this is actually quite a large percentage. I very often fire up the sim with no controllers when I'm developing or installing a new scenery, pan or fly around and then quit. I think it's far more common than people realise, especially looking at the stats.

I'm not :smile: . Don't forget that the hardcore simmers at Avsim are probably a small but very vocal part of the real user base who probably spend the most money an addons. Most I guess are casual users who buy the sim, use a few items and move on to another "game". I've also bought many non flight sim based sims I use a few times and think meh... not for me. 

If you want a good idea of usage check out YouTube comments (if you can stomach it) on channels such as Paul's (Squirrel) and MattDavies. You'll get a much better idea of where the majority of users are (and it's not here or x-plane.org)

I'm not :smile: . Don't forget that the hardcore simmers at Avsim are probably a small but very vocal part of the real user base who probably spend the most money an addons. Most I guess are casual users who buy the sim, use a few items and move on to another "game". I've also bought many non flight sim based sims I use a few times and think meh... not for me. 

If you want a good idea of usage check out YouTube comments (if you can stomach it) on channels such as Paul's (Squirrel) and MattDavies. You'll get a much better idea of where the majority of users are (and it's not here or x-plane.org)

Blasphemer  :Shame On You:   :wink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I wonder why they didn't include 32 GB RAM? I can't be the only one using it.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm using 32GB as well, I don't find it a limiting factor (Unless you have 8GB or less). Video RAM, yes absolutely

Erm... there's hardly any official XP11 aircraft addons, of course people are using more default

Stupid metric to put out. Wait a year then put it out

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Exactly, most of my aircraft addons don't work in XP11 so I use the C172, it's no surprise the usage is skewed

About the only useful variable is OS by user. Poor little Linux down there. I suppose system RAM is accurate too and gpu type

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |