Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Shhh, Laminar is Watching!

I'm surprised about the video RAM if I'm honest. Such stats are useful to me as a scenery developer, I can see I have to be more careful

I'm using 32GB as well, I don't find it a limiting factor (Unless you have 8GB or less). Video RAM, yes absolutely

With the extended scenery they were recommending as much ram as possible. 16 seemed logical, but I wanted a bit more futureproofing. So..... 32 it is.

Even though I suspect it's massive overkill.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

How much RAM is too much RAM? I don't think you can have too much, I have 64GB, that will probably be a drop in the bucket a couple of years from now. Remember when 4kbytes was enough to go to the moon. :-)

With the extended scenery they were recommending as much ram as possible. 16 seemed logical, but I wanted a bit more futureproofing. So..... 32 it is.

Even though I suspect it's massive overkill.

It's not overkill if you use the UHD terrain mesh. In XP10, 16 GB was recommended as the minimum for UHD mesh, and 32 GB was recommended if using the (then) optional extended .dsf scenery loading. Now that extended .dsf is a default feature and can't be turned off, that makes 32 GB pretty much a requirement for the UHD scenery and having enough overhead. The lower-res HD terrain mesh still only needs 16 GB, I think. 

And yeah, there's no such thing as too much RAM, just for overall system stability if nothing else. My current box can take up to 64 GB but I won't upgrade until it seems necessary. We're just at the start of the XP11 run. There's no telling what will come along in RAM-hungry scenery, aircraft, or weather effects (pretty please!) in the next few years.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

There's no telling what will come along in RAM-hungry scenery, aircraft, or weather effects (pretty please!) in the next few years.

I made sure i had room for another 32gb for my rig but if that gets filled, I guess I'll have to just download more ram!  :Big Grin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit