Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Horrible braking sound - can I get rid of it?

I have two products from different developers where when you touch the brakes, it makes the most awful screeching sound imaginable. It's clearly supposed to represent metal on metal friction but it's way over the top and incredibly annoying and distracting. The two addons are JustFlight's BN2 Islander and Virtavia's A-4 Skyhawk. I have searched in the sound.cfg file but there's nothing there. I have checked the .wav files for both aircraft - it's not there. I assume it's some kind of "effect" as it is in neither sound folder, but I have no idea how to track it down. Can anyone help?

If it was the real world and I heard that noise from brakes, whether an automobile or aircraft, I would not only stop immediately, I would get out of the vehicle and look for a potential fire. It sounds like a grinding wheel being used to sharpen an axe!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Of all places, look in your panel.cfg, especially under the VC and look for anything regarding Squealing Brakes.  Comment out that line.  It might look like this:

gauge83=squeaking brakes!BrakeSound,  0,0,20,20
gauge84=squeaking brakes_Sound!dsd_xml_sound3,  0,0,20,18,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
gau

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

You were right on the money Charlie. It was a Virtavia xml gauge. The name didn't indicate what function it played but as it was in both products I guessed it was the culprit and indeed it was. Thank you - I wouldn't have thought of it in a million years. Problem now solved!!!! Why on earth any developer thought it was a good idea is beyond me. As a sound indicating locked brakes that are overheating and about to burst into flames, it might be appropriate though it was still far too loud. Now I can enjoy flying both aircraft without having to grit my teeth every time I touched the brakes!

THANKS

Ian

Glad it worked for you! I make lucky guesses every so often!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I can't remember hearing any loud brake effects with my Flight 1/Just Flight BN2 Islander...  

I didn't come up with the squeaking brakes idea, but I did write the general purpose sound gauge that it uses.

If you like the general idea, you can tone down the volume.

Open the sound.ini file referenced above.  Find this line:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,90

and change it to this:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,80

That will drop the sound's volume by 10db.

You can pick any integer value between 0 and 100, although anything less than about 70 and you won't hear anything.  Below 50 your dog likely won't hear it either.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I do use AccuFeel to add a slight squeak to some of my aircraft's brakes so the idea behind it is good, but to be honest with you, the actual sound in this case doesn't sound like a normal "squeak" but a metal on metal grinding that would indicate locked brakes and for me, as a former RW pilot, would constitute an emergency as I would anticipate the probability of excessive heating and a probability of fire... I certainly appreciate knowing now how to adjust the volume of an effect gauge like it... What would be really cool is if you could figure out how to include coding that would make the effect random and rarely happening, occur on landing or with excessive use of the brakes and be associated with some visual smoke from the tires.... That would give some real "holy s---" moments to the sim pilot! :-)

I can't remember hearing any loud brake effects with my Flight 1/Just Flight BN2 Islander...  

It's funny because I don't remember it from my previous install either. But it sure was there this time - but now it's gone...

Glad it worked for you! I make lucky guesses every so often!

Well, you were right on target. My lucky guesses usually result in me getting lost or in trouble with my kids or my wife...

Hi Ian, I use Accufeel too, and in my older planes do ush up the squeaking brakes a bit. As a RW pilot, do you think that is accurate? I have heard the weird noise that some airliner brakes make, not a squeak, but more of a grind. 

I didn't come up with the squeaking brakes idea, but I did write the general purpose sound gauge that it uses.

If you like the general idea, you can tone down the volume.

Open the sound.ini file referenced above.  Find this line:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,90

and change it to this:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,80

That will drop the sound's volume by 10db.

You can pick any integer value between 0 and 100, although anything less than about 70 and you won't hear anything.  Below 50 your dog likely won't hear it either.

Doug

Doug,

I'd just like to take the time to thank you for your marvelous work on the DSD sound gauge.  All of the aircrafts that I love that use good solid, custom interior sounds, switches, etc, utilize your gauge, and I also use the "Cockpit sounds" provided in the AVSIM library (that I add to all of my Carenado/Alabeo fleet), that is also dependent on your gauge.

You're a legend and a hero to those of us that value sound within the overall immersion of flight simming!

Bill.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I also use the "Cockpit sounds" provided in the AVSIM library (that I add to all of my Carenado/Alabeo fleet), that is also dependent on your gauge.

I also use the Cockpit Sounds software, it has, along with Accufeel, it turned my Alabeo Aztec into a really nice aircraft. Thanks, Doug.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear people are getting good use of the gauge, for sure.

Thanks!

Dave - I certainly did not mean to insult you about the sound gauge you developed. If I did, I deeply apologize. It is the Virtavia version to simulate a braking sound that is excessively loud and as I said earlier, is more the sound of metal on metal, as a grindstone sharpening an axe that was the problem. Both the sound and the volume would scare the c--p out of me in the real world as the only thing they could possible signify was that the brake linings had disintegrated, hot metal was grinding against hot metal, and an almost certain chain of events is about to happen. 1. Smoke 2. One brake locking while the other doesn't, result in an out of control yaw in the direction of the locked brake 3. tires beginning to blow because of the heat 4. fire breaking out in an area that is often contiguous to fuel tanks...

I DO use the cockpit sounds software, as well as Accufeel and your gauge in many of my addons and they add to the immersion factor enormously. One of the things that you have to get used to in making the transition from RW to sim flying is the lack of the many physical cues you take for granted in the real world. When the cockpit comes alive with all the right clicks and bumps and squeaks etc. it adds enormously to the immersion factor...

Paul - yes, there are certain distinct sounds that aircraft brakes can make. Obviously, sometimes they do "squeak" (often when being released as much as being applied) but more often it's a kind shuddering sound (not sure how to describe it) - more feel than audible. And in older aircraft (the only kind I've flown in the real world - I AM ancient - I even have a DC-3 rating LOL) that feel/sound does give you feedback that tells you if you are braking too hard or if the brakes are getting hot. But the Virtavia sound is like nothing I ever heard in the real world, and as I said earlier, if I had it would have signalled a serious emergency...

Again, thanks for helping me solve an annoying issue and again, if I offended anyone, I do apologize