Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Rotary dails extremely jumpy

I've been trying to find what is wrong, but I keep having problems with the rotary dails assigned through LINDA. I'm using the MPC and eevry dail regularly jumps much further then the movement of the dail, especially when I'm trying to move single steps. I notice that when I turn up by one, the vallue goes down by one or two, or jumps up by ten or more. Its pratically impossible to get to any setting, or it takes up to minutes before I finally can dail up or down with steps of one to end up on the vallue I need.

What can I do to make the dails functional?

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi Maarten

The Combo MCP knobs output 4 values: plus (+), plusfast (++), minus (-) and minus fast (--). The 'speed' is determined by how fast you rotate the knob and the difference can be very sensitive to the speed of rotation. This is hardware wired by VRInsight and cannot be changed.

Normally, the LINDA function assigned to each value increases or decreases the value by 1 (one) or 10 (ten) respectively for the slow and fast rotation. A time delay is usually added to the functions to make the user input control easier. Changing the value in small increments requires care.

What aircraft and functions are you having problems with? 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

I know how the principle works, but I'm talking about very subtle turning up or down 1 tick, which hardly ever changes the vallue by 1, but mostly by at least 2-3 or more. This is so unstable that it's practically not usable and if this would be the normal way it works, I cant imagine anyone would be using it. I end up using the mouse 9 out of 10 times.

I'm using the MPC with PMDG 737NGX and 747v3 and also with the Majestic Dash8.

I did use it before, and it was hard to use, but it was doable... Now only the buttons are usable and everything asigned to a dail is a real problem.

Using LINDA 1.13, P3D 3.4.18, FSUIPC 4961

Profiles: 737 4.8 and 747v03

Cheers!

Maarten

I can make no comment on LINDA 1.13 which is no longer supported. I recommend that you download and install (after making a full backup) the latest version 2.9.2 which now works with the original MCP1.

I will take a look at the PDMG 737NGX AND Q400 module to see if there is an issue.

I believe you have made these comments on knob controllability before. No other users have reported that the knobs are unusable. Perhaps your panel is faulty.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

On the download page, at the bottom, 1.13 is still available for download and what I understand, that one is needed for the MPC. But the newest version will also work properly with MPC?

Cheers!

Maarten

I have the 1.0 MCP and it works fine.  The dials seem less jumpy these days, in general, for most of my airplanes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

not sure which, but several version ago, I had problems with setups not being saved properly, thats why I moved back to 1.13. But if it works now I''ll be happy to get the latest version. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

No problems with saves here.  The only thing is that, sometimes, I have to reload LUA when I start up.  Seems to not get my Saitek until I do that but I haven't downloaded the brand new latest.  Also, the user module didn't seem to work so I just copied and pasted the code into the main module.  Minor thing.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Maarten

Yes, there were problems with previous LINDA versions with the original MCP panel. This was why version 1.13 was recommended (pre-dating my involvement with LINDA support). However, these problems were fixed with the help of other MCP1 owners and LINDA 2.9.2 is fully compatible with the MCP1. I recommend you try installing 2.9.2 along with FSUIPC4 4.962a.

I have looked at the Knobs on my setup for the PDMG 737NGX and Majestic Q400. The Boeing has no problems I can see. The knobs are controllable and the read outs are correct using the NGX specific functions. See below:

Knobs-PDMG737NGX.JPG

The Q400 is much more problematic but still controllable in my view. This is down to the very peculiar Q400 SDK which is not a useable as those for the Aerosoft Airbus or PDMG aircraft. Further work may be required. My assignments from the Q400 module are:

Knobs-MCP2-Q400.JPG

No problems with saves here.  The only thing is that, sometimes, I have to reload LUA when I start up.  Seems to not get my Saitek until I do that but I haven't downloaded the brand new latest.  Also, the user module didn't seem to work so I just copied and pasted the code into the main module.  Minor thing.

What is the issue with Saitek? You need to make sure that the Saitek Panels checkbox (on Setup LINDA) is UNTICKED for LINDA to control these panels.

What is the problem with the user.lua module? Or are you referring to Library: user.lua module? You should not need to copy and paste code in to the main module (I assume you mean the aircraft actions.lua file). Such changes will be overwritten with each new LINDA installation.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

What is the issue with Saitek? You need to make sure that the Saitek Panels checkbox (on Setup LINDA) is UNTICKED for LINDA to control these panels.

It wasn't working.  Happened to me a couple of times yesterday.  I was flying the NGX and just reloaded LUA and it worked fine.  It's one of those multiswitches with the landing gear handle.  I'll look at the checkbox.

What is the problem with the user.lua module? Or are you referring to Library: user.lua module? You should not need to copy and paste code in to the main module (I assume you mean the aircraft actions.lua file). Such changes will be overwritten with each new LINDA installation.

It didn't work at all.  I just copied and pasted the code without making any changes to the code into the main module, remapped the buttons to the function and it worked.  This was also on the NGX.  (I made functions to hide/show the yoke so I could review the checklist.)

Gregg Seipp

That sounds great. I've got the new version ( incl FSUIPC) installed and I'm going to dive into it. Very curious to see what improvements there have been made.

Thanks a lot for the help and advise! :)

Cheers!

Maarten

It wasn't working.  Happened to me a couple of times yesterday.  I was flying the NGX and just reloaded LUA and it worked fine.  It's one of those multiswitches with the landing gear handle.  I'll look at the checkbox.

There is a known problem with the Saitek Switch Panel, that the switch status is not action when LINDA is started or a new aircraft is loaded. You need to operate one switch or is some cases operate all the switches for the correct position to be recognised. This is because they are on/off switches and no push buttons. I have yet to find a solution that does not have adverse effects to normal (non-Saitek) users.

It didn't work at all.  I just copied and pasted the code without making any changes to the code into the main module, remapped the buttons to the function and it worked.  This was also on the NGX.  (I made functions to hide/show the yoke so I could review the checklist.)

I am still unclear what code is not working. What file and folder are you using? Where are you cutting and pasting it to? What main module are your referring to? actions.lua or common.lua?

The /linda/library/lib-user.lua defines functions for all aircraft and the /linda/aircrafts/{your aircraft}/user.lua defines functions for 'your aircraft'.

That sounds great. I've got the new version ( incl FSUIPC) installed and I'm going to dive into it. Very curious to see what improvements there have been made.

Thanks a lot for the help and advise! :)

You are very welcome.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Oh man! That's a huge difference! :P

I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Improving my whole controller-setup. :dance:

Cheers!

Maarten

I am still unclear what code is not working. What file and folder are you using? Where are you cutting and pasting it to? What main module are your referring to? actions.lua or common.lua?

The /linda/library/lib-user.lua defines functions for all aircraft and the /linda/aircrafts/{your aircraft}/user.lua defines functions for 'your aircraft'.

I clicked the menu item for Edit User Module (or whatever it is) on the NGX.  The Edit window popped up and I added a function.  I then mapped it to a button using the menu.  It all looked good except, clicking the button didn't do anything.  So, I used the menu to Edit the NGX Module, copied and pasted the code (renamed the function in the User module so it wouldn't conflict) deleted the assignment for the button and readded it from the NGX Module (I stuck it under Other).  It worked perfectly. 

So, I didn't navigate to any location in the file system.  I simply used the pop up menu to get to the Edit User Module.  Does that answer your question?  I'm not at my sim at this moment so I don't know the exact menu item name. 

By the way, I looked at the log and it said the User Functions were loaded before I gave up and moved the function to the main module. 

Gregg Seipp

I clicked the menu item for Edit User Module (or whatever it is) on the NGX.  The Edit window popped up and I added a function.  I then mapped it to a button using the menu.  It all looked good except, clicking the button didn't do anything.  So, I used the menu to Edit the NGX Module, copied and pasted the code (renamed the function in the User module so it wouldn't conflict) deleted the assignment for the button and readded it from the NGX Module (I stuck it under Other).  It worked perfectly. 

So, I didn't navigate to any location in the file system.  I simply used the pop up menu to get to the Edit User Module.  Does that answer your question?  I'm not at my sim at this moment so I don't know the exact menu item name. 

By the way, I looked at the log and it said the User Functions were loaded before I gave up and moved the function to the main module. 

Thank you Gregg, I now understand. This is not how I have ever tried editing an aircraft module but it is perfectly valid. Watch out for the addition of a new Edit User module button in the next release.

You can also edit the current aircraft module (actions.lua) and the user-defined aircraft functions (user.lua) using the pop-up menu that appears when you try to assign a function to a button. If you select the aircraft module functions or user functions from the menu, you will find the Edit Module option at the top of the menu. 

Remember that after saving any changes from the Editor, you will need to click Restart LUA Engine to reload the new code changes.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK