Sign in to follow this  
philiptotten

Understanding Nav

HI there

Beginner trying to understand navigation and autopilot. Flying a Cessna Titan 404.Create a flight pan in XPFlightplanner. The FMS is a Garmin but not the 430/530 version. Maybe older???

I load the flight plan to the FMS. The first point is a VOR which it follows and then adjusts to the next point. This is a FIX which appears on the FMS with all info i.e. direction/distance etc. However it just overfly this point and instead of distance decreasing it is increasing and the FMS does not step on to the next point.

The next four points on the flight plan are fixes then a VOR then more fixes then a VOR then the destination.

Does the FMS not recognise fixes? If I program the next VOR into NAV radio.it is in yellow not in range.

How should I fly this

Any help really appreciated. Bit baffled at the mo'.

RGds

Phil

It sounds like you're trying to run before you can crawl

If you know nothing of basic navigation I suggest this site: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com

Or if you're a video guy : you tube navigation in x plane etc: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=443JzBoJ2T8

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan

Sorry if I see a follow. I'm a pretty old guy, just trying to play at flying. I will never ever fly an aeroplane. So I'll have to enjoy the SIMS as they are presented. I have successfully flown a few flights, using NAV and ended successfull, but trying different aircraft sometimes it all beats the hell out of me. I probably need everything in increasingly simple terms. So many different types of instrument. which I struggle to understand.

Maybe it's too much for me and I should try something else......

Ten pin bowling maybe. I can probably understand that....

Rgds

Phil

Hi Ryan

Sorry if I seem a fool I'm a pretty old guy, just trying to play at flying. I will never ever fly an aeroplane. So I'll have to enjoy the SIMS as they are presented. I have successfully flown a few flights, using NAV and ended successfully, but trying different aircraft sometimes it all beats the hell out of me. I probably need everything in increasingly simple terms. So many different types of instrument. which I struggle to understand.

Rgds

Phil

Hi Ryan

Sorry if I see a follow. I'm a pretty old guy, just trying to play at flying. I will never ever fly an aeroplane. So I'll have to enjoy the SIMS as they are presented. I have successfully flown a few flights, using NAV and ended successfull, but trying different aircraft sometimes it all beats the hell out of me. I probably need everything in increasingly simple terms. So many different types of instrument. which I struggle to understand.

Rgds

Phil

Phil, in the real world, pilots go through a lot of cockpit training before actually flying an airplane.

And they tend to stick to one specific plane, not jump from one aircraft type to another.

So, you are indeed jumping right into the deep end of the pool - without the required swimming lessons.  :wink:

Suggest you look at the links that Ryan sent you, or fly visual flight rules only, at least initially.

Try the Piper Cub... no complicated instruments.

Bert

Bert

Thx for that. I have flown many hours in the Cessna 172 provided. Just trying to advance a wee bit with twin engines ( Cessna Titan 404). Have had a modicum of success, but all the instrument changes flummox me. I don't seem to be able to find an instruction place for all the different instruments.

Sorry if this is basic, but it's all I've got!!

Rgds

Phil

The article above will solidify some of the concepts. There's no sense explaining VOR navigation if you don't know the basics.

It also sounds like you're trying to use the older XP10 default FMS - which is quite horrible. I'd suggest not even using it, but starting with the VOR concepts, like using your HSI, the TO/FR flag, DME, radial tracking etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi again

Was even interested about 17 years ago, I worked with a friend who was a PPL and another who was a helicopter pilot. Learned a fair bit then but long forgotten. Wish I still had someone to hang out with and keep me going. 

However forums it is. Not sure I'll make it......

HI there

Beginner trying to understand navigation and autopilot. Flying a Cessna Titan 404.Create a flight pan in XPFlightplanner. The FMS is a Garmin but not the 430/530 version. Maybe older???

I load the flight plan to the FMS. The first point is a VOR which it follows and then adjusts to the next point. This is a FIX which appears on the FMS with all info i.e. direction/distance etc. However it just overfly this point and instead of distance decreasing it is increasing and the FMS does not step on to the next point.

The next four points on the flight plan are fixes then a VOR then more fixes then a VOR then the destination.

Does the FMS not recognise fixes? If I program the next VOR into NAV radio.it is in yellow not in range.

How should I fly this

Any help really appreciated. Bit baffled at the mo'.

RGds

Phil

Best book on the subject for beginner.  https://rodmachado.com/products/rod-machado-s-private-pilot-handbook

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar