Sign in to follow this  
Ace9

Assigning buttons to X55 & A2A Spitfire using download Module

Hi there.

I am new to Linda, its fantastic thank you to the developers. I have assigned the default aircraft buttoms for FSX-S and all is working well, however using the downloaded A2A Spitfire module I cannot get some assignments to work in the aircraft.

i.e. Linda correctly identifies A2A Spitfire but when assigning a button for the Spit Starter Start for example, nothing happens, same for Spit Cartridge Reload or Starting Magneto?

I have tried to find the functions in the FSX Default Library and also Set FSX Control, can anyone point me in the right direction please, many thanks

Linda 2.88

FSUIPC 4.955

Windows 10

FSX Steam

All the best

Roger

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the LINDA forum.

I assume you have installed the A2A Spitfire module at http://www.avsim.com/topic/341133-a2a-spitfire-accusim-core-12-linda-module-version-13/?hl=%2Bspitfire#entry2218644

All available aircraft specific functions should appear in the named aircraft half way down the pop up list. The A2A Spitfire module was released in 2011 and not all features will be implemented. All default functions are listed in the Library called LIB: FSX Default towards the top of the pop up menu.

I would strongly recommend you install the latest version of LINDA 2.9.2 released today along with FSUIPC4 4.962a.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Any thanks for the qick reply,

Yes A2A Spitfire module 1.3 is installed, I will do as suggested and upgrade Linda and FSUIPC and look at the default Libs.

Many thanks again.

Roger

Hi again.

I have upgraded Linda and FSUIPC and they are working, however going through the default list I canot find several functions, for example engine start. The only one that works is the one which I guess is "ctrl+E" command because it shits the fuel cocks and magnetos as well. The Spit Start within the downloaded module does nothing that I can see.

Having no programming experience, I have looked at the Linda documentation and Linda Tracer which I expect would give me the functions, but cannot make head nor tail of it.

Is there any other suggestions please as to how I can find out what the functions are for the A2A Accusim Spitfire.

Many thanks

Roger

Hi Roger

I am pleased to hear that you have LINDA working. I do not own the A2A Spitfire so I can not test the engine start function for you. 

I have asked the module author to have a look for you.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Many thanks for that, look forward to hear back.

All the best

Roger

Hello Roger,

under the section PRIME AND START you'll find what you need:

PRIME AND START
===============

SPIT Primer State open
SPIT Primer State closed
SPIT Primer State toggle
SPIT Primer openandpull
SPIT Primestate show
SPIT Starter start
SPIT Starter stop
SPIT Boostcutout off
SPIT Boostcutout on
SPIT Boostcutout toggle
SPIT Cartridge Reload or Starting Magneto
SPIT EngineCutOut on
SPIT EngineCutOut off
SPIT EngineCutOut toggle

qEEPg7A.jpg

Feel free to ask any further questions if you have problems ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there and many thanks for getting back so quickly.

I did find and have tried to use "Spit Start" and "Spit Cartridge Reload or Starting Magneto", they do not work on my A2A Accusim Spitfire.

However the following do work nicely on my X55 HOTAS with Linda.

Spit Primer openandpull / toggle

Spit Boostcutout toggle

Spit EngineCutOut

I have no idea what's going on here I am sorry to say.

All the best

Roger

Sorry to ask that, do not take it as an offence:

but you are familiar with the Spit?

You know, that it depends on the model how you could start it?

One is with cartridge, the other has an electric starter.

Guenter Steiner

Hey, don't worry, no offence taken, its a reasonable question, I am new to this forum.

Yes I am familiar with the A2A Accusim Spit and am aware of the differences between the Mk1a through Mkii b having first read through the A2A documentation and the Linda documentation. I have owned and flown the A2A Spit for a couple of years and have set up Linda with default aircraft, including the heading bug, barometer and auto pilot for example. So I would not say that I am a complete novice with Linda, but I am unexperienced at programming and cannot understand the Tracer / console, I am sorry to say, which is what prompted me to ask for help here.

The problem I am having is for example in the Mkii b (cartridge) the "Spit Cartridge Reload or Starting Magneto" does not work, I can pull the ring with my mouse and reload a new cartridge, but using the downloaded module and assigning a button on my X-55 fails to do anything in the cockpit, the cartridge ring pull on the right side of the instrument panel does not move, click with the mouse and it works, use the assigned button on the x-55, nothing. I understand this is the same assignment for the Mk1a starting magneto? it does not work on the Mk1a either. 

Now I have success assigning the main fuel leavers, they work fine on the switches I have assigned on the x-55, so does the engine cutout ring pull for example.

I have not been through all of the downloaded module assignments to find out if they work or not, because I want to find out what is wrong first.

To clarify, I am finding that some of the downloaded module v1.3 assignments work on my A2A Accusim Spitfire as expected, and some don't. 

If I was able to understand the Linda tracer I feel I would be able to identify the functions required, but for a programming novice like me, using the console and tracer is all way over my head, sorry to say. But I am hoping to be able to assign everything to my x-55, including door / canopy open close, be able to use the magneto switches individually and other functions from the mini controls like hold down the tail and wheel chocks, trolley Acc etc.

Hope this clarifies things and many thanks for taking the time to help me with this and I apologies for this post being as long as it is, but hopefully you will have a clear understanding of the problem I am facing.

All the Best

Roger. 

ok, I will try out the Spit later and lok what could be the issue ...

Haven't been flying the Spit a long time, so maybe some error came up during the time.

Will have a look ...

Guenter Steiner

You are very kind, many thanks for your help, look forward to hear from you.

ATB

Roger

ok, tested it: I use Spit starter start and starter stop and this is working here ...

Guenter Steiner

If I was able to understand the Linda tracer I feel I would be able to identify the functions required, but for a programming novice like me, using the console and tracer is all way over my head, sorry to say.

The LINDA developer mode allows developers and users access to additional tools to support LUA code design and debugging.

The Console is the main real-time logging tool reproducing what is output to the FSUIPC4.LOG file. It displays a mixture of FSUIPC4 log data and that produced by LINDA. The LINDA output is set by the logging level from none to debug. The most useful is Verbose (at least for me). You can also select LUA and/or GUI logging. You can also trigger FSUIPC4 logging like ipc and Vri.

If you are writing your own functions these should be placed in the User.lua file in the aircraft folder (/linda/aircrafts/{your aircraft}. Functions here will override (supersede) those with the same name within the aircraft module (actions.lua) and even the core LINDA LUA code. TIP - all LUA function and variable names are case sensitive You can track variables and execution in your code using a set of log functions (_log(),_logg(),_loggg() and_logggg()) the number of g's corresponding to the debug level.

The Tracer allows the developer to monitor and toggle a range of values used by the flight simulator. The main variables are Lvars used in the left third of the Tracer. These are defined by the aircraft add-ons developer to control the operation of the aircraft and allows LINDA to access and modify them as required. Many Lvars have logical names but some are very cryptic and require much analysis and guesswork to determine their meaning and use.

You can filter Lvars to help isolate them. Clicking on one will output it's value to the Console. You can also start a monitor to display when a Lvar changes. Once you have found the Lvar you are looking for you can use it in your functions.

How to use and program in LUA is beyond the level of support that can be offered here. The best way forward in to search for help on LUA programming and by studying the code supplied with LINDA. You are free to use and adapt it for you own use.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

ok, tested it: I use Spit starter start and starter stop and this is working here ...

Thanks for taking the time to test it, I am glad it is working for you. I have even download a new module from the internet and that fails.

The LINDA developer mode allows developers and users access to additional tools to support LUA code design and debugging.

The Console is the main real-time logging tool reproducing what is output to the FSUIPC4.LOG file. It displays a mixture of FSUIPC4 log data and that produced by LINDA. The LINDA output is set by the logging level from none to debug. The most useful is Verbose (at least for me). You can also select LUA and/or GUI logging. You can also trigger FSUIPC4 logging like ipc and Vri.

If you are writing your own functions these should be placed in the User.lua file in the aircraft folder (/linda/aircrafts/{your aircraft}. Functions here will override (supersede) those with the same name within the aircraft module (actions.lua) and even the core LINDA LUA code. TIP - all LUA function and variable names are case sensitive You can track variables and execution in your code using a set of log functions (_log(),_logg(),_loggg() and_logggg()) the number of g's corresponding to the debug level.

The Tracer allows the developer to monitor and toggle a range of values used by the flight simulator. The main variables are Lvars used in the left third of the Tracer. These are defined by the aircraft add-ons developer to control the operation of the aircraft and allows LINDA to access and modify them as required. Many Lvars have logical names but some are very cryptic and require much analysis and guesswork to determine their meaning and use.

You can filter Lvars to help isolate them. Clicking on one will output it's value to the Console. You can also start a monitor to display when a Lvar changes. Once you have found the Lvar you are looking for you can use it in your functions.

How to use and program in LUA is beyond the level of support that can be offered here. The best way forward in to search for help on LUA programming and by studying the code supplied with LINDA. You are free to use and adapt it for you own use.

I am baffled as to why some assignments in the download module work and others don't, where do I go from here short of becoming a Lua programmer, any ideas please, could there be a conflict somewhere with AI Carriers or FS Recorder and FSX-Steam edition?

Is there a log I could produce so someone who is knowledgeable could view it to find the fault?

I am sorry but I am lost, what else can I do please?

All the best

Roger