Sign in to follow this  
ray123

Bufferpools... What do you guys use?

This is something i realy hate. I'm ok with developers making a recomendation, but i know what i'm doing with those tweaks, so nobody should mess with my settings. This is why i have a fsx.CFG backup(and other cfg files), which i manualy copy back after i install something new. After new product installation i also check dll.xml and exe.xml, fsuipc version, C++ versions, uiautomationcore.dll version( :wink:  ) etc...

This is why i stopped buying(using)products which usually do such a things

I agree 100%. It's not the role of a developer who's product you've bought to start changing your cfg file on your own personal computer. It's absurd and is simply wrong. They should not do it.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

After reading the thread, I added:

[bufferPools]
RejectThreshold=131072

Now I get cloud reflections on water (DX9) Yea!

I don't have a graphics card just an i5 6400 with Intel HD graphics 530.

N99WB

Can anyone suggest why any kind of BP tweak has no effect in my cfg?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

You need to patent that!

Howard

That's strange, BP=0 works well for me with FSX-SE. The other BP related tweaks may not work becouse dovetail has allready increased poolsize a lot - i'm actualy getting flashing / artifacts with default value if water is not at high 2x. However, with usepools=0 i still have better FPS and smoother performance with complex airliners. 

The other tweaks we used with boxed FSX actually works, but there's no need for them becouse they are allready added by default(no entries in CFG), and this is why you cannot see any effect(they are allready there).  For example, affinity mask is set by installer based on your CPU, so if you manually add it, there will be no difference. But the tweak actually works, i had HT on when i installed FSX-SE and installer has set optimal affinity mask. After some time, i switched HT off, and then i had to add affinity mask value in fsx.CFG, becouse it was not optimal anymore. 

I'd like to know all default values added / modified by dovetail

I have just checked and yes FS Dreamteam have removed my BP=O setting in my CFG. Thank you for the heads up...

Not happy they should ABSOLUTELY not be doing that without letting you know... 

Hamish

BP=0 does not take any effect in DX10! 

Maybe you should try in DX9, and see if it works.

The problem is with DX10 is, is that it will perform worse than DX9, if you were used to running DX9 with BP=0. BP=0 in DX9 will give you a huge performance increase, but because it doesn't take any effect in DX10, you'll actually experience worse performance.

However, let's say you have never made any changes to BP, or used to have it on with a RejectThreshold setting, you'll not get the performance boost in DX9, then switching to DX10 will give you an improvement. 

So all in all, DX10 relative performance depends on where you came from. 

Just a simple random comparison, with made-up FPS numbers:

DX9 default / BP=1             DX9 with BP=0           DX10

30 FPS                               40 FPS                       35 FPS

DX10 should perform right in the middle of DX9 default and DX9 BP=0.

About the add-on manager:

It does indeed make unwanted changes in your fsx.CFG, that might cause instability issues and CTDs. Always keep a copy of a tweaked fsx.CFG that gives you good results, so you can overwrite it any time a third-party program makes unwanted changes.

After reading the thread, I added:

[bufferPools]
RejectThreshold=131072

I don't have a graphics card just an i5 6400 with Intel HD graphics 530.

N99WB

That is very likely due to setting Water to HIGH2x, which will give you those cloud shadows.

• Upvote 1

That is very likely due to setting Water to HIGH2x, which will give you those cloud shadows.

I always had my water set high2x.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to get cloud shadows in FSX is with Steve's (of Fixer fame) recent add-on.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 extra FPS seems a little......generous?

Nope, in DX9, FSX, the bufferpools tweak can easily give 25% boost to perfromance. I experienced this and was amazed. The downside is it often comes at a cost, and that cost is graphical spikes and other possible issues. The way to counteract this is to increase the water setting. But of course in doing so, this negates most of what you gain by using the BP tweak in the first place! However, it is still often worth it as there can still be a small increase in performance and it can help with stutters.

• Upvote 1

Howard

On 2017-02-21 at 9:38 AM, Rockliffe said:

I have a very similar rig as you. 6700k@4.6 and a GTX1070. I use BP=0 in FSX-SE with the full Orbx Global suite and PMDG aircraft and Steve's DX10 fixer. 

It is true that the big fps boost in DX9 isn't there in DX10 but I definetly get better smoothness. I have the frames locked with NVIDIA Inspector at 30.5 and the frames stay at at 30 more or less all the time no matter what I throw at it. Blurry textures seem to be the only problem I have on occasion, but the smoothness and fps is always there. 

Andre