Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

How's this for bonehead of the year?

Hello all, someone mentioned a few days ago about finding that sweet spot to get P3D running just the way you like it. After upgrading to a high performance machine in early January, I struggled with multiple OOMS. Sifting through the avsim forums, adjusting P3D settings and downgrading my nvidia driver, as well as assuring audio drivers were up to date, I had found the proverbial sweet spot.

Then came Rex. I have all my add ons on a separate drive (Proatcx, Realair, PFPX etc). All under a folder named P3D Addons. Yesterday, I installed Rex HD Airports and pointed to this same folder.

I assumed (bad move) that Rex would install to its own separate folder under the same umbrella. It did not. It dumped all its installation files and folders without creating Rex. My bad I suppose.

Not a big deal, or so I thought. Simply uninstall and try again, this time creating a Rex folder beforehand.

Rex had its own ideas. Upon doing a wonderful of doing its uninstall, it uninstalled everything under my P3D add-ons folder. Everything.

Now I wonder: don't most uninstalls delete ONLY what the install process created? Rex seems to have a simple "delete *.*".

Not happy.

Mario Di Lauro

Ouch.

To be fair however, some uninstallers remove only what they installed, and some really dump the whole dir, or everything in it, when done. And some even delete their own installation folder (the best kind!).

I, personally, rather have the latter. Simply because I prefer to have everything cleaned, and I really hate uninstallers that don't do that (one of them is another very known developer in the FS community, I don't want to point fingers really).

Is it in your Recycle Bin?  Just a thought.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Rex HD does make a backup or did you skip it?

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Not in the recycle bin - nice try though.

it makes a backup of p3D textures, not the whole installation folder.

Mario Di Lauro

Wow that is irritating! Unfortunately most developers of software are totally inept at creating uninstallers for their software. Not just referring to flight sim software either. A very general statement and generally, very true. Lucky you did not install it in the c: root or Windows folder. You would have a unuseable PC. Poor, lazy software development!

Now because files have been deleted by the REX uninstaller and not through the native addon's installer, probably going to encounter further challenges with reinstalling some of the addons as the registry will be reporting that they are still installed.

Good luck. I know what I would do. Oh and send a curt email REX's way. Your little mistake should not have resulted in such a huge mess.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Let's face it, Uninstallers are liable to be a very low priority for a developer.

spacer.png

Let's face it, Uninstallers are liable to be a very low priority for a developer.

Yup, when software is reviewed, before anything else we should be focusing on how efficiently and clean the uninstaller works, before looking at how useful the software itself is.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Oh I dunno a friend of mine logged a ticker with a well know publisher about a new aircraft they bought, not only did they tell him the stock answer of "reinstall windows and p3d" they also told him to buy a new motherboard....priceless

14ppkc-6.png

I would like to address this post and explain the REX side of things.

We put a lot of time into our products as well as our installers.  We provide with each installer a DEFAULT recommended installation folder with the installer.  So as you go through our installer wizard you will be provided the recommended location.  We also include a pop-up warning the customer to NOT install REX into their flight simulator or their program files.  Thus, our recommendation has always been to have REX into its own folder (i.e.  C:\REX.....) in the case of REX Airports it has been C:\REX Worldwide Airports HD

If a customer does not do what is recommended or suggested then that customer does it at its own risk. 

During uninstallation we delete the entire "REX folder" of the users machine.   That way no REX files are left over on the users machine.  This is standard practice of 99% of most software developers.

When we first released REX back in 2008 we didn't do this and there was a HUGE uproar of that because of left over files.  Since then we have operated the same with deleting the whole folder with very few issues.  It is when a user installs a REX product on a parent folder - they will have issues.  In this case the user is going outside of the recommended installation of the product.

• Upvote 3

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Good luck. I know what I would do. Oh and send a curt email REX's way. Your little mistake should not have resulted in such a huge mess.

the only  mistake the op  made is not  reading the install info  that is  always  given by  any addon  that  you install, 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Rex is a good product, they do mention countless times to install into a different separate folder

14ppkc-6.png

I have no issues with the way Rex tells you how to install. But just imagine, as someone pointed out earlier, that you have a lapse of concentration and do install it in the root of C:. Mistakes do happen, Rex.

This ridiculous uninstall procedure, or lack thereof, will pretty much wipe out your OS. Sorry but I think this is pretty shabby coding.

Mario Di Lauro

his ridiculous uninstall procedure, or lack thereof, will pretty much wipe out your OS. Sorry but I think this is pretty shabby coding.

Guess  you know   that  this is  only related  to  rex  uninstall  and  not  to  any other   uninstall  addons,  if  you  can ensure  better  coding  than i would  advise  you  to contact  rex  and  tell  them  on how  to do it  iam sure  they would  like  to  hear  your  suggestions

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg