Sign in to follow this  
pesz

GPU Load suddenly drops to 0 causing P3D lag and FPS drop for a while.

Hello,

I am surviving trying to solve my only one issue with P3D. Don't have any problems like VAS or low FPS. What makes me really annoyed and just step from getting refund for P3D is my FPS suddenly drops down. It looks like this:

The problem exist on any aircraft and scenery, same on A320 and DD Polish Ariports as default aircraft and default scenery. I have tried to move ALL my sliders to the left in P3D. My FPS goes up to 70-80 or even over 100 but still goes down for a while. I've tried to lock my FPS to 20,30,60, even used Nvidia Inspector to lock my FPS, doesn't help at all. I discovered that GPU Load goes down exactly at the same time for some reason. It only happens in P3D, no problems with Battlefield 4, GTA IV or Football Manager 2017. In all this games FPS and GPU load are stable, doesn't matter which settings I use.

Battlefield 4: http://i.imgur.com/Nndrj1C.jpg
P3D: http://i.imgur.com/nCsEnYI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1cfayLh.jpg

I've tried lots of tricks like Nvidia or computer performance settings, done fresh Win10 install, fresh P3D install, checked out my CPU, GPU, HDD, memory using few programs, used antimalaware programs, done antivirus scan, done stress tests of CPU and GPU and nothing help at all.

Thought it may be overheating problem, but it also exist when the temperature is around 60 as same as 75-80. Anyway nvidia guide says that suggested temperature is between 40 and 90, my GPU never goes higher. Same test with CPU, no overheating, no issues.

Checked out couple of nvidia drivers, clean install any of them doesn't make any difference. I was trying lots of obvious steps like deleting .cfg file aswell.

I probably have done lots more thing but can't remember everything. I hope anyone can help me, cause I don't really want to get refund for P3D, just want to enjoy my passion.

Laptop specs:

Intel i7 6700HQ
nVidia GeForce 960M
32 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 64-bit

Will be more than grateful for any support.

Best regards,
Piotr.

You're running a notebook. That could be a problem. Any of these sims like lots of CPU and GPU power, and a notebook with a slow CPU and GPU doesn't have what it takes.

Your other games don't even come close to what P3D renders, so you can't really compare their performance to it.

Well, do you really thing there are slow CPU and GPU on my laptop? Also FSX did work properly on it, and I didn't see any lags on XP10 when I've been using it.

I have the exact same problem on an asus G75 notebook. Used it for 18 months witb no problems and was getting between 25 to 35 fps. Then all of a sudden im down to 5 to 7 fps. Its definatly something to do with the gpu

On 2/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, pesz said:

Hello,

I am surviving trying to solve my only one issue with P3D. Don't have any problems like VAS or low FPS. What makes me really annoyed and just step from getting refund for P3D is my FPS suddenly drops down. It looks like this:

The problem exist on any aircraft and scenery, same on A320 and DD Polish Ariports as default aircraft and default scenery. I have tried to move ALL my sliders to the left in P3D. My FPS goes up to 70-80 or even over 100 but still goes down for a while. I've tried to lock my FPS to 20,30,60, even used Nvidia Inspector to lock my FPS, doesn't help at all. I discovered that GPU Load goes down exactly at the same time for some reason. It only happens in P3D, no problems with Battlefield 4, GTA IV or Football Manager 2017. In all this games FPS and GPU load are stable, doesn't matter which settings I use.

I've tried lots of tricks like Nvidia or computer performance settings, done fresh Win10 install, fresh P3D install, checked out my CPU, GPU, HDD, memory using few programs, used antimalaware programs, done antivirus scan, done stress tests of CPU and GPU and nothing help at all.

Thought it may be overheating problem, but it also exist when the temperature is around 60 as same as 75-80. Anyway nvidia guide says that suggested temperature is between 40 and 90, my GPU never goes higher. Same test with CPU, no overheating, no issues.

Checked out couple of nvidia drivers, clean install any of them doesn't make any difference. I was trying lots of obvious steps like deleting .cfg file aswell.

I probably have done lots more thing but can't remember everything. I hope anyone can help me, cause I don't really want to get refund for P3D, just want to enjoy my passion.

Laptop specs:

Intel i7 6700HQ
nVidia GeForce 960M
32 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 64-bit

Best regards,
Piotr.

Oh my friend, I feel for ya, I truly do.  i was there once, thinking I had what it took to run a complex flight simulator on a laptop with settings that would make my mom proud, until CRASH!  OOMs, bad performance, VAS issues, you name it.

I don't mean to sound cynical or sarcastic, I truly do empathize.  Look at my specs in my signature and this will give you an idea of what you truly need if you want to run a flight simulator on a laptop with good slider settings.

So, your specs:

Intel i7-6700HQ - no overclock, unless you have a water cooled system, and even then, you may get a tick over 3.5ghz.  I have found, with experience, that you need as close to 4ghz base, in order to take fuller advantage of the sim's capabilities

GeForce 960M - This little guy is underperforming for what you want it to do.  With it being a mobile gpu, it's desktop counterpart would be a GTX-750 or somewhere near that.  The 960 also has lower clock speeds too, so you have that going for you.

32gb of RAM - This is good, but too much right now, if you are running a 32-bit sim, as you are still constrained with the 4gb of VAS (Virtual Address Space).  You can try some external add-ons to help alleviate the pressure of VAS, but unfortunately, it is the way of things until you get a 64-bit sim, such as XP10.51/XP11 or even Aerofly

Windows 10 64-bit - This is a good thing, but unfortunately, the only good thing out of what you have to work with for your sim.

Btw, the first punishment you will incur while running your sim is thermal throttling.  Either the cpu or gpu or even both will hit a threshold at some point, causing the system to throttle down to protect itself.  After that, it can be bluescreens, out of memory errors or the dreaded CTD.

The reason why your other games perform like they do is because they are coded a little differently.  When I had an underperforming laptop for flight sims, it was the exact opposite for games.  I could run Skyrim on ultra settings with 60fps and never have it crash...odd how that works.

What I would suggest for now, is giving this a read: 

I wish I could be more help. 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

On 2/19/2017 at 2:57 PM, pesz said:

Hello,

Laptop specs:

Intel i7 6700HQ
nVidia GeForce 960M
32 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 64-bit

Best regards,
Piotr.

Hi Pesz,

I have the exact same specs as you have and also the exact same FPS problems. I have an Acer Aspire Nitro Black Edition. 

Have you found any solution to the problem?

Regards,

Erwin

it's apparently a problem with the motherboard. The frequency of the cpu goes down to 800mhz. This problem is easily solvable by using throttlestop (downloadable for free), you will then get 3000+ mhz and your flight sim will run like a machine!