Sign in to follow this  
wiler

Windows 10

Has anyone switched from windows 7 to windows 10? I switched to windows pro so I can upgrade to 32GB of ram this weekend. Perforamnce is about the same I would say but the CPU is running at 90% where before it was rarely above 60 or 70% unless in a heavy autogen area. Any ideas? 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I'm sure Windows 10 Home can use 32GB of memory. If it can't then I was recently sold a laptop with 32GB of RAM and Windows 10 Home, and that would be a bit misleading from the sellers :/

64bit Home goes up to 128 GB :)

32bit only 4GB as always.

I upgraded from 7 to 10, Pro, didn't notice any increase in CPU usage....but didn't specifically check...

Cheers

Keith

windows 7 is continuing to lose support, google chrome has dropped support for any future updates on windows 7, the upcoming amd ryzen cpu's will not support windows 7.windows 10 home should be fine with the max 128gb,once we get to 128gb of ram on everyday usage, from there ram will start doubling just like it did with windows xp,128gb, 256gb,512,1024 and so on.

I had win 7 home so could only do max 16gb, really didn't want to upgrade but wanted 32gb ram.  Performance has dropped  for me so far, im stuttering more too. trying to locate the needle in the haystack now. 

google chrome has dropped support for any future updates on windows 7

They have?  I couldn't find anything which supports this statement.

I think it's Windows XP they dropped support for, not Windows 7

From Microsoft 

"Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon."

It's not that these chips couldn't support W7, rather 'somebody' doesn't want them to...

:(

Keith

I think it's Windows XP they dropped support for, not Windows 7

"Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and so no longer receives security patches. Windows Vista support ends next, on April 11, 2017, and Windows 7 on January 14, 2020."  Source

I've been using Windows 10 since last June, with next to no problems (just a few printer driver issues early on, but that's about all).  I'm an Emerging Technology Librarian, and I upgraded all my library's computers to Windows 10. The switch over was a bit rocky at first, due to having to install weekly updates for the first couple of months, but now our computers are running with less issues than ever.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

From Microsoft 

"Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon."

It's not that these chips couldn't support W7, rather 'somebody' doesn't want them to...

:sad:

Keith

They will still work, so ive read.

windows 7 is continuing to lose support, google chrome has dropped support for any future updates on windows 7, the upcoming amd ryzen cpu's will not support windows 7.windows 10 home should be fine with the max 128gb,once we get to 128gb of ram on everyday usage, from there ram will start doubling just like it did with windows xp,128gb, 256gb,512,1024 and so on.

Why is anybody even using Google products ? They have a really bad record when comes to privacy. Mozilla is a better option !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The first time Windows 10 automatically installs a video or other hardware driver and breaks your flight sim, you may not be singing a lot of praise to Microsoft.  The fifth or sixth time, after trying multiple ways to stop that automatic "Big Brother Knows Best" fiddling with your well-tuned system, well, the verbalization of feelings towards MS tends towards the prolonged vulgar tirade here...

I am not a Win 10 fan at all...in fact I am quite angry right now after MS appears to have patched out yet another means of stopping the auto driver updates that keep breaking my SLI configuration with new unstable drivers.

Caveat Emptor

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I knew I should have just got win 7 pro in order to get my 32gb upgrade. The performance of xp in win 10 is much worse for me. 

The first time Windows 10 automatically installs a video or other hardware driver and breaks your flight sim, you may not be singing a lot of praise to Microsoft.  The fifth or sixth time, after trying multiple ways to stop that automatic "Big Brother Knows Best" fiddling with your well-tuned system, well, the verbalization of feelings towards MS tends towards the prolonged vulgar tirade here...

I am not a Win 10 fan at all...in fact I am quite angry right now after MS appears to have patched out yet another means of stopping the auto driver updates that keep breaking my SLI configuration with new unstable drivers.

Caveat Emptor

The tech industry business model:

Offer the consumer a free product and then make the consumer the product.  Most importantly, make the consumer the product.

Greg