Sign in to follow this  
wiler

Windows 10

The tech industry business model:

Offer the consumer a free product and then make the consumer the product.  Most importantly, make the consumer the product.

Greg

exactly !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The first time Windows 10 automatically installs a video or other hardware driver and breaks your flight sim, you may not be singing a lot of praise to Microsoft.  The fifth or sixth time, after trying multiple ways to stop that automatic "Big Brother Knows Best" fiddling with your well-tuned system, well, the verbalization of feelings towards MS tends towards the prolonged vulgar tirade here...

I am not a Win 10 fan at all...in fact I am quite angry right now after MS appears to have patched out yet another means of stopping the auto driver updates that keep breaking my SLI configuration with new unstable drivers.

Caveat Emptor

Never have that problem. I use nVidia GeForce Experience to control my video card updates. Windows Updates does not interfere. 

• Upvote 1

Never have that problem. I use nVidia GeForce Experience to control my video card updates. Windows Updates does not interfere. 

Same here, but I don't use Geforce Experience. I've done 5 or 6 installs of Windows 10 since it's release and it's never been an issue.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I think the W10 nay sayers never had to experience the true OS horror that was Windows Me or Windows Vista. 

Considering I have had to pay for every Windows major overhaul since Windows for Workgroups 3.11 I am pleased to finally get something for free from old Micro$oft.

From Microsoft 

"Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon."

It's not that these chips couldn't support W7, rather 'somebody' doesn't want them to...

:sad:

Keith

Microsoft can't maintain an infinite number of OS' so it's a question of life cycle.  W7 is now in what Microsoft refers to as "Extended Support", i.e. it'll get security updates but no new functionality (including adding the ability to take advantage of new tech, new chip architectures often require OS support for new features).  It was in "Mainstream Support", i.e. it gets improved where necessary to use new technology, for 6 years (running out in 2015), and even W8 will leave Mainstream next year ,6 years after release, leaving it in the same situation.

And in under 3 years, at the ripe old age of 11 and 4 years after the last Windows 7 PC was allowed to be sold, W7 will go the way of XP and stop receiving any support at all.  Anyone still on 7 now should be eyeing the move to 10 (or 11...?) in the next 18-24 months or so unless being on an OS that doesn't get security patches (and therefore becomes increasingly vulnerable) sounds like an appealing prospect.

The exact dates are freely available:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

From Microsoft 
"Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon,

Yet despite that Win7, installs just fine on Kaby Lake as long as you know what you are doing.

I think the W10 nay sayers never had to experience the true OS horror that was Windows Me or Windows Vista. 

Considering I have had to pay for every Windows major overhaul since Windows for Workgroups 3.11 I am pleased to finally get something for free from old Microsoft.

I had both Win Me and Vista.  Still have Vista on one box here.  Once tamed, the 64-bit version of Vista actually worked OK for a dedicated simming box.

I have P3D running with an SLI configuration here, and until just very recently the newer nVidia drivers have been a bucket of trouble that broke SLI every time an unwanted driver update fell out of the sky.  This went on for months.  Win 10 automatically updates drivers with unstable and/or dysfunctional versions not suited for my config without asking, and several methods to disable that "feature" designed by a demon from Hades have been patched out by MS.  If you allow GeForce Experience to install the same broken, unstable update driver versions before Microsoft gets them in their update queue, then you'll never see the problem, or if your system is a plain vanilla config that doesn't depend on solid driver support for a cutting-edge hardware device or special config support, then you probably wouldn't notice even if the driver was auto updated.  But for some of us "nay sayers," Win 10 has given us recurring waves of butt pain that we never experienced with Win 7.  Glad you don't have the problem, but the problem *does* exist for many.  Suffering these unwanted ill effects forced by crappy one-size-fits-all design decisions in Redmond makes a "nay sayer" out of a person right quick.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I don't understand your problems. I just went back in and enabled driver downloading for W10 and 2 drivers were waiting for me. No calls to Beelzebub were required.

Me too, I never use Windows Update to update the driver for important parts, like graphic card.

There is not going to be a next windows 11 Microsoft have stated this.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg