Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Blue Sky Star making entire US Orthos

FYI Guys just noticed on Blue Sky Star FB page they are making a product for entire USA Orthos that will be sold on an external drives

Yikes after reading it fully its three hard drives  

Couple of quotes

A project announced a little while ago.. making ZL17 Orthophoto for entire USA and selling it on a hard drive.. (I think, or at least that's what I gathered that it was)

================================================

Yes it will be in three parts: Eastern, Central and Western part of US, because each one of them "weights" about 3TB. It will be external hard drive for each.

Rich Sennett

Nice, I wonder what the $$$ would be.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Nice! Unfortunately, shipping to Germany and customs will probably add quite a bit to the equation for me.

But if the price is reasonable in the end and all additional cost included, I'll be in. I'm not keen to do ortho sceneries myself (SoCal was time consuming enough) and getting the western US in one purchase is definitely something I would consider.

Nice, I wonder what the $$$ would be.

Figure in the cost of a 1TB hard drive plus, so I'm going to guess around $200 for each region.

Great idea but lets see the quality and cost. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Excited to see how it looks in some known areas vs my manually done ones in the PNW

Figure in the cost of a 1TB hard drive plus, so I'm going to guess around $200 for each region.

Agreed, 250 would be my guess. I'd pay 300 if the quality is good. More would be ok if it's really good (=color corrected etc.) and available as download to avoid customs

If the quality is very good,  I will definitely purchase.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

It's interesting that people would rather pay out $200 and buy an external hard-drive, when you could easily generate the entire US completely for free using Ortho4XP (Which will produce fantastic coastlines). The mind boggles, but I never was a good business man  :Tounge:

• Upvote 6

keep an eye out on Their FB page they are also offering a free night lighting tweak when its done

Just bought BSS sound package for Jardeisgn A320 and both products are awesome

It's interesting that people would rather pay out $200 and buy an external hard-drive, when you could easily generate the entire US completely for free using Ortho4XP (Which will produce fantastic coastlines). The mind boggles, but I never was a good business man  :Tounge:

Me thinks it would be the time involved and people would want to pay instead I guess - not knowing anything about Ortho I would assume it would take a ton of time to do the entire US

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Time… Money… Other things to do for many people

Me thinks it would be the time involved and people would want to pay instead I guess - not knowing anything about Ortho I would assume it would take a ton of time to do the entire US

Well the thing with orthos is that you should only generate the areas as and when you want them. It can take time depending on your internet but Ortho4XP can just batch convert and you can walk away from the computer). For me to generate Southern California, I clicked on the tiles I wanted (about 10 I think), walked away, came back to my computer in about 4 hours and it was done. Not bad going at all. For Europe, I only generate the tiles as and when I need them, and at some point I realised I had everywhere done. I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me when it's actually really easy :)

Time… Money… Other things to do for many people

Something I think most flight simmers seem to have a lot of, especially the long haulers. I've never believed in the lack of time as an excuse (when people fly across the atlantic in real-time). I think the real reason is that it's just easy to pay someone else to do it :-)

• Upvote 1

@Tony

I didn't say it was me that would pay necessarily, but I definitely understand if people would prefer to pay for something that takes time like scenery.

If they aren't flying, they may just want to use other time with family or other hobbies besides dealing with scenery stuff.

Nothing wrong with that at all.