Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

Re Installing FSX

Hi,

I recently bought a new PC, is there any I can copy my FSX folder from my old machine to my new one?

I have Flight1's registry tool and I know I'll have to rebuild my FSX config file. I have a lot of add on aircraft, scenery and airports, I really don't want to re install items one by one.

Thanks

You can copy the 4 folders listed below (and all of their subfolders) to a thumb drive, and then simply do a fresh FSX install on your new PC. That will build a new FSX registry and install all of the supporting packages (DX9/10, Simconnects, MSVC, and MSXML, etc.) on the new PC. After doing the fresh install, rename the 4 new folders by adding ".orig", ".save" or something similar to the end of them to save them for future use. Then, copy the 4 folders from your thumb drive to the new system. You now have a backup of a fresh install to help you fix any future issues and your FSX should work as it did before.  

Your main \FSX folder 

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

C:\Users\<your_username>\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

You might need to reinstall any payware products that have their own registry settings after moving the new install to prevent issues with missing reg keys and any ProgramData or AppData subfolders that they might create at install time. You didn't say how much or what types of payware you have, so I can't offer advice there.

In the end, I suspect that it is just easier to reinstall everything. Making copies of the 4 folders listed above from your old PC will let you replace the fsx.cfg and any modified aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg, freeware add-on sceneries, etc. that you might want to re-use. This is what I did. I also made a backup of the fresh install before I did anything else. It has saved my butt a couple of times.  

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

as the above poster  has  suggested   you need  to  re install  from scratch since  it  will  install new registy  paths etc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

+1 on the above. You really need to reinstall everything as the chances that a copy, with all the add-ons, will work are very slim....somewhere between zero and none.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks Guys

That's kinda what I figured. The idea of copying the 4 folders mentioned in the first reply might

at least save me some time.:)

Thanks again

That's kinda what I figured. The idea of copying the 4 folders mentioned in the first reply might

at least save me some time.:)

it would  have  saved  you time  in the  short  term but  not  in the long terms  of  things :wink:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg