Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

England VFR (Revisiting and playing with landclass scenery)

I don't use any plugins, I place them using maximum density (or based on density in the data if I have it). The .for file placed is sometimes random from a list. It's likely to be either broad_cld_rain.for or coni_cld_rain.for depending on the forest type in the data (It looks like a broad forest to me)

I don't use any plugins, I place them using maximum density (or based on density in the data if I have it). The .for file placed is sometimes random from a list. It's likely to be either broad_cld_rain.for or coni_cld_rain.for depending on the forest type in the data (It looks like a broad forest to me)

Thanx. For maximum density you mean 1.0, do you?

I set it to maximum which in code in the DSF file is 256 (I presume this is 1.0 in WED)

This looks really good - one thing that I find problematic with GB Pro is that it places shrubs along taxiways and runways... Even the demo video on the linked page shows this effect! 

Can you confirm that this is not a problem with yours? And yes I second (third, fourth!) that I would pay for it!

No, it isn't a problem because shrubs are no longer placed around the OSM data. Incidentally, I fixed this issue for my next sceneries by using the X-Plane APT file to exclude out objects (But the airport should have a boundary otherwise I will use the convex hull which can be ugly and cut out too much)

Wow tony! Is it something extremely handcrafted or something that could be generalized? I mean would be possible to create some sort of overall enhancement package like ORBX global packages?

Wow tony! Is it something extremely handcrafted or something that could be generalized? I mean would be possible to create some sort of overall enhancement package like ORBX global packages?

+1

... my spare time is very limited these days and so i honestly do not have enough time (although i wished i had) to, for instance, get (all) those Ortho4XPlane sceneries that i am longing for ready.

So a global scenery of such high quality as shown in these superb screenshots above would be absolutely appreciated - no matter if it was pay- or free/donationware then.

:wink: :smile:

No, because ORBX global is a global landclass texture replacement pack, FSX already has the landclass information, global just changes the texture tiles to more suitable ones. Since X-Plane doesn't use this tiling structure it's not easily possible to do (You can easily regionalise autogen and the ground textures to some extent, but all you would be doing is rebranding the textures but keeping exactly the same layout). FSX is different in this sense.

• Upvote 2

No, because ORBX global is a global landclass texture replacement pack, FSX already has the landclass information, global just changes the texture tiles to more suitable ones. Since X-Plane doesn't use this tiling structure it's not easily possible to do (You can easily regionalise autogen and the ground textures to some extent, but all you would be doing is rebranding the textures but keeping exactly the same layout). FSX is different in this sense.

Okay - i see - Thank You very much for this information Tony!

However, maybe there are some ways and/or workarounds to get something comparable to ORBX's global sceneries based on X-Plane technology one day or another.

Anyways and as always - and no matter if being of  larger or smaller scale:

Your sceneries are of greatest quality all the time Tony.

I know there are some more highly talented scenery designers for X-Plane out there and i do appreciate all their work.

But as this is about Your England-VFR scenery here all i can again say is:

Keep up Your great work!

:smile:

However, maybe there are some ways and/or workarounds to get something comparable to ORBX's global sceneries based on X-Plane technology one day or another.

Thanks Christoph. Of course there is always a way. Anyone willing, with a huge pile of time and who is dedicated enough could reproduce whatever they liked. The X-Plane mesh in reality is just a big 3D object with textures on top, and you can shape that 3D object and texture it however you like, the trick is to be able to do it on a large enough scale that it looks believable and real (And why LR already do a good job at that when you consider it has to work for the entire world).

I know there are some more highly talented scenery designers for X-Plane out there and i do appreciate all their work.

I have no doubt about it. I wish more would work together though.

• Upvote 3

looks fantastic, Tony, and I too would pay for it. I'm not comfortable trying the Ortho4XP thing and I was really happy when Orbx said they'd do stuff for XPlane but then they backed out.

I've always thought the pseudo scenery had the advantage in that you can create a believable world for anywhere and any season and use less disk space doing it.

Please keep working on this. U.S. West coast sounds like a great idea. I'd buy England too BTW :)

• Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Stunning results, Tony :)

Perhaps, since you already started to, you'll be able to sell some custom made regional autogen as a start as a way for users to reward you and all the time you have been spending on doing all of this

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'm sure Tony has thought of this, but the middle option between free and payware is donationware, like the Plan-G flight planner. It's less potential income (a lot less, probably), but it's an automatic filter for reducing tech support to a minimum. 

People who can't get it to work -- often through no fault of the software but just not following directions, or having crummy hardware -- won't donate. They'll just move on. The people who do donate, are those who got a clean install and they're enjoying the product. It makes support more optional and relaxed, especially if there is a forum set up for crowd sourced support from other users.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks Christoph. Of course there is always a way. Anyone willing, with a huge pile of time and who is dedicated enough could reproduce whatever they liked. The X-Plane mesh in reality is just a big 3D object with textures on top, and you can shape that 3D object and texture it however you like, the trick is to be able to do it on a large enough scale that it looks believable and real (And why LR already do a good job at that when you consider it has to work for the entire world).

I have no doubt about it. I wish more would work together though.

Thanks a lot Tony for this detailed reply rom Yours!

And yes ... i also wisehd there were some more cooperation between developers.

Especially as long as it is more about free/donationware rather than payware.

Although even if it was payware there sure might be some options on the table for some decent cooperation every now and then.

Anyways Tony, once again:

Thank You very much for Your reply!

Wow, really awesome. Thanks for showing XP`s capability. It`s really amazing what X-Plane freeware developers achieve.

• Upvote 1