Sign in to follow this  
super jet 100

A question about realism in XP 10-11

Are they any differ in terms of realism? I think I have read somewhere that XP11 have better GPS and overall flight model by default, but the demo doesnt run well on my PC. I want to somewhat simulate IFR flying, so I'm not looking for good visuals. So, any of you who have flown in XP10 can you compare it to XP11? Is it really worth to invest into buying a new laptop? thanks.

Are they any differ in terms of realism? I think I have read somewhere that XP11 have better GPS and overall flight model by default, but the demo doesnt run well on my PC. I want to somewhat simulate IFR flying, so I'm not looking for good visuals. So, any of you who have flown in XP10 can you compare it to XP11? Is it really worth to invest into buying a new laptop? thanks.

That's a lot of questions, in one question, but for me, being a laptop user of XP11, I can offer my experiences with it, if it helps.

I had a decent experience with XP10, and I could easily use add-on weather, with SMP Pro V3, as well as fly with a payware jet.  Overall, my rig was very capable of handling XP10.  With the emergence of XP11, which is still in Beta, I had found that my previous system wasn't quite up to the task, but was still capable, as long as my settings weren't too high.  I just got a new rig, with up to date cpu and gpu and that has made a significant difference in my flying experience.  I have yet to purchase a new weather generator, so i am currently using the default weather, which has it's fair share of bugs.  I have flown a jet, both default and payware, and the experience was about the same as in XP10, though major differences on the surface was rendering, offering more realistic visuals, such as reflections and how light is transmitted onto surfaces.  Again, my experience so far with XP11 Beta is favorable, but that's with the upgrade to newer hardware.

The decision is ultimately yours on whether you want to pursue XP beyond the demo, but if the demo doesn't run well, you have to consider what you personally want from the sim. Is it safe to assume that you once used FSX?  If so, you should find your experience with XP (when you can get it running and stable on your system) to be a refreshing change.   Everything works a little differently in XP, and it will take a little time to get used to, but once you do, you may never go back to the other sim.  I was a convert from P3D, and despite the significant invested I had with it, I dropped it all for XP because everything in XP just ran a whole lot better.

The question of realism in a sim is a subjective one, and can only be answered with opinion, which varies from person to person.  Everyone wants something different from their sim, so you should probably assess what is most important for you.  You mention that you want to perform IFR flying, and that can be achieved in XP.  You say you aren't looking for good visuals, and that statement makes it seem like you have had issues in the past trying to get the visuals to be realistic, but never quite got there.  I can say that XP11, out of the box, offers a better realistic experience visually than say FSX does, but that stands to reason, considering the age of the two sims and the progress that LR has made in the 64-bit environment.  You can have your cake and eat it too in XP, but unless you have a decent system for running XP11, you will need to make some sacrifices, specifically with rendering, AI and weather.

Since you have already noticed issues with running the demo of XP11 on your system, I wouldn't go any further until you can decide what you want to do for a system.  The requirements are posted on the X-Plane site, but it's safer to side with the recommended specs, as X-Plane will progress further and may become more demanding.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think I have read somewhere that XP11 have better GPS and overall flight model by default, but the demo doesnt run well on my PC. 

XP11 will *eventually* have a better flight model, but at this point it is work in progress, buggy, some stuff is broken etc.

When stable, quality aircraft need to be recalibrated, so it will take months before everything is back to normal. Stick with v10 for now is my advice :)

I fly them both (XP10 & XP11) back to back, and honestly, I still prefer XP10 as my main sim.

Realism wise they are essentially the same.  And, if you want 3rd party addon planes, XP10 is even better for now, as nothing is properly updated to XP11.  XP11 is still being changed as they update the base sim, so most developers of addon planes are waiting until a stable XP11 is released.

My advice?  Buy XP11 from Laminar Research directly while it's in beta.  They also give you the full version of XP10 for free while XP11 is in beta to have a stable sim to fly.  Install XP10, enjoy it for the next 6+ months, and then when you are ready, you have a full copy of XP11 to enjoy once it's finalized and more stable/performs better and addons are properly supported.

My advice? Buy XP11 from Laminar Research directly while it's in beta. They also give you the full version of XP10 for free while XP11 is in beta to have a stable sim to fly. Install XP10, enjoy it for the next 6+ months, and then when you are ready, you have a full copy of XP11 to enjoy once it's finalized and more stable/performs better and addons are properly supported.

Good advice.  My only question is whether or not your XP11 key will still work with XP10 once XP11 is released?

----------

You say XP11 doesn't run well on your computer?  Since you said you don't care about visuals then I assume you turned all the settings down to minimum?  Because with everything turned off, it should run acceptably as long as you don't have an ancient computer.  Have you tried XP10 demo on the same computer?  Because I'm wondering if you'll have the same problem with getting good performance.