Sign in to follow this  
serviceceiling

No "Equal Time Point" option in the CDU?

This is something I noticed on my first long haul across the pond with the 744. No matter what I tried (different GPS formats that are accepted by the CDU variant installed), I was not able to display a calculated ETP on the ND. This seemed a bit strange to me, since the 747 still falls under LROPS(EASA)/ETOPS(FAA) regulations, with the 747-8 having ETOPS 330, for instance. 

After talking with a friend about this and finding out that a lot of airlines actually use this feature on their 747's (I have no hard evidence, however),  I was wondering why this feature isn't simulated by PMDG? Is this due to the particular CDU variant / software version that was chosen or was this simply forgotten? I know there are workarounds for this with times and abeam radials.

I do have a reliable source from a major B744 operator, so if needed I can provide the ETOPS procedures, at least for this particular case. 

Any feedback or further discussion regarding this topic is welcomed. 

• Upvote 1

Enter the ETA into a FIX Page at LSK 6R as a TIME in ZULU (4 digits followed by Z).

Your ETP info provided by a flight planning software tool such as PFPX should be able to generate an EET from your TOT (take off time).

Thus its just simple mathematics.

ETPs are dynamic, based on time not physical points on the earth surface.  The LATLONs associated are used during the planning phase & are provided for reference.  Once airborne time becomes the key governing factor as you are in a fluid environment - with changing WX etc.

Your ETA, once entered correctly into the FIX Page will be presented on the Magenta route of flight as a small green circle with the time in ZULU accompanying it.

You can enter an associated ARPT into the FIX Page, the maximum range arc that the 744 FMS should allow to be drawn is 511 nm although I have seen larger on peoples live streams ... if you can confirm this ... report it as an issue to the Devs.

• Upvote 1

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Allright, thanks for the info! Also just found out that some operators have no restrictions concerning ETOPS/LROPS, or whatever you want to call it. I'll report back regarding the range.