Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

AS16 networked. Performance gains?

Hello!

As per the title, I am thinking about setting up AS16 on my laptop so it can feed weather data to my sim-rig. Is there any (big) performance gains in doing this?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Not sure about performance gains as I have only ever ran it networked, what's nice though is having access to the programs interface without having to alt tab out of the sim

Interesting you mention it because that's the solution I juist adopted to run FSX:SE dedicated to FSLabs A320.

As we ( FSLabs A320 ) users know, this is a rather complex simulation of the Airbus, and consumes a LOT of resources, so, I decided, among other things, to use AS16 + ASCA through my home network

Wirless although functional and with acceptable bandwitdth has, nonetheless, the inherent latency, so, I decided to revert to ethernet, connecting both my i7 laptop and my i5 2500 simulator desktop to the router.

It works flawlessly, and since at least in my setup there are gains ( I am on FSX:SE ) when I do not set teh AffinityMask entry in FSX.CFG, and leave it at default Steam FSX settings, it has no impact for sure, and even when weather updates occur, it feels like it's even smoother than when I had AS16, ASCA, FSX:SE and the FSLabs A320 all running on the poor good-old i5...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hello!

As per the title, I am thinking about setting up AS16 on my laptop so it can feed weather data to my sim-rig. Is there any (big) performance gains in doing this?

Not likely unless you have a real weak computer running FSX.

I've tried both ways and now just run AS16 and ASCA on my FSX computer as there was no performance gain running it networked.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

With my old Core2Duo at 3.16GHz, AS16 sometimes uses about 30% CPU time on one core. So I would assume there can be a benefit here.

But if your computer is any faster than mine, this should not make a real difference, except for having the interface easily available.

Well I am running a 6700K at 4.7 so it's not really underpowered. Might not bother setting it up. Alt-tabbing works quite ok. 

Thanks guys for all the input!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

In my case it makes a difference - but it's an old i5.2500 with DDR3 memory...

But since I have a single monitor, being able to display the AS16 GUI in the laptop, and even the FSLabs A320 MCDU and Fuel Panel is an aditional advantage :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...