Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Ready for some additional scenery in the Aerofly FS 2 DLCs?

I have been requested to submit detailed images of wind turbines and mountaintop observatories for consideration to add to Aerofly FS 2 DLC areas.

Does anyone have a favorite observatory dome location they would like included? How about a specific location for a mountainside or valley of large wind turbines in California, Arizona or Nevada? Are there any wind turbines in the New York City area? hmmm.

Post your link here or PM me with your suggestions.

Regards.

Ray

kitt peak1.JPG

wind energy.JPG

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I have been requested to submit detailed images of wind turbines and mountaintop observatories for consideration to add to Aerofly FS 2 DLC areas.Does anyone have a favorite observatory dome location they would like included? How about a specific location for a mountainside or valley of large wind turbines in California, Arizona or Nevada? Are there any wind turbines in the New York City area? hmmm.Post your link here or PM me with your suggestions.Regards.Ray

Well, I would rather see Ipacs spend time and resources on their next region than adding wind turbines to existing scenery. Of course, that would be a nice upgrade for later, but let's see new scenery areas first. :)

Having said that, there is a huge area of wind turbines near Palm Springs, Ca., but wouldn't want it's addition to harm frame rates.

Ken

I added about 40 moderately detailed wind turbines to some Megascenery for FSX/P3D both at Palm Springs and at Mojave and the frame rates were not affected - our GPU's can handle extra hundreds (maybe even thousands) of polygons without being affected much at all. I am hoping that soon we will be able to add scenery objects easily (and inexpensively by using AC3D or Blender or ...) to FS2 scenery. I prefer a realtime (in the application - live preview) scenery placer approach (Like Whisplacer or Instant Scenery 3)to regular 3D modeling due to ease and speed to a final answer. With the current FS2 SDK, you could add wind turbines or any other object that you have the 3D source format if you have 3DStudioMax or AC3D using their Content Converter,

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Well, I would rather see Ipacs spend time and resources on their next region than adding wind turbines to existing scenery. Of course, that would be a nice upgrade for later, but let's see new scenery areas first. :)

Having said that, there is a huge area of wind turbines near Palm Springs, Ca., but wouldn't want it's addition to harm frame rates.

I added about 40 moderately detailed wind turbines to some Megascenery for FSX/P3D both at Palm Springs and at Mojave and the frame rates were not affected - our GPU's can handle extra hundreds (maybe even thousands) of polygons without being affected much at all. I am hoping that soon we will be able to add scenery objects easily (and inexpensively by using AC3D or Blender or ...) to FS2 scenery. I prefer a realtime (in the application - live preview) scenery placer approach (Like Whisplacer or Instant Scenery 3)to regular 3D modeling due to ease and speed to a final answer. With the current FS2 SDK, you could add wind turbines or any other object that you have the 3D source format if you have 3DStudioMax or AC3D using their Content Converter,

Here is just one of 17 wind farms included in Orbx Northern CA scenery.

Ray

altamont-pass-windfarms_NCA Orbx.jpg

altamont-pass-windfarms1_NCA Orbx.jpg

I think every single user probably has a somewhat different view of what they would like to see next. I would venture a guess that Dr. Hans can manage the priorities just fine - He is the one that asked for the information.

Yes, there are a couple of thousand of those wind turbines in view on the drive from Palm Springs to Mojave.

Best Regards,

Ray

Yes, I would be delighted to be able to add simple scenery using Instant Scenery. I'm sure the average user will not have any of the expensive modeling programs but it sounds to me like the trend is to make it easy and expensive to make additions and mods.

Best Regards,

Ray

Just as a preview take a look out your right window as you are climbing out from San Jose, KSJC towards San Francisco bay. Lick Observatory is at the top of Hamilton Mountain about 15 miles away. With an afternoon sun setting, the domes really stand out. Worth a look for sure.

Regards,

Ray

Lick Observatory SJC 083 deg 14 nm.JPG

Altamont Pass in California would be my choice for wind turbines, but to be fair I want to see them everywhere in the South Western USA region where they are located in the real world! Frankly, I don't really care about any other regions. I want South Western USA to be "fleshed out" to the maximum possible scenery density.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png