Sign in to follow this  
amanlulo

PC OOM and CTD on opening P3D

Hi,

I'm running P3D v3.4.18, Graphic Card MSI nVidia GTX 960 with the last driver installed (378.66). All was going well until yesterday when, from the morning to the afternoon, on opening P3D I got this message:

VvRcERY.jpg

is it possible that a part of my memory card has broken, or something like that?

I tried to un-install and re-install P3D Client, but to no avail

Thanks for any help,

Fulvio Arman

Fulvio Arman

Virtual Address Space (VAS) is not memory or RAM it is Virtual Address Space and you only get 4GB's because you have Windows and that is all that Windows allows everyone no matter what 32 bit application you use.  So the charts you are showing are not applicable.  They mean nothing.  You could have 4 simms of RAM with 64 GB's of RAM and any 32 bit application would still run out of memory, er, VAS.

OOM's will happen with high P3D and/or display driver settings.  It was impossible for me to get an OOM until yesterday when I decided to mess with the gamma setting in the display driver settings.  It brought P3D to its knees.  Don't mess with the display driver settings.  Leave them at the default for P3D.  Set your display settings in the P3D settings. 

Rename or delete your P3D config, restart P3D and your OOM's will go away if you do not mess with the settings or add a tweak like the Bufferpool or Affinity Mask tweak.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature) for more information.  Go to the section on OOM's.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, thanks for your answer. Well, I'm sure I didn't touch any setting between morning and afternoon. Anyway, I'll take alook at the configuration - just in case -.

regards,

Fulvio

Fulvio Arman

OOM's do not occur for every scenario.  If you have a lot of scenery that is resource intense, like a commercial airport, commercial scenery like Orbx, AS16 or ASN weather, REX, etc., etc., anyone of those could cause issues depending on the scenario.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OOM's will happen with high P3D and/or display driver settings.  It was impossible for me to get an OOM until yesterday when I decided to mess with the gamma setting in the display driver settings.  It brought P3D to its knees.  Don't mess with the display driver settings.  Leave them at the default for P3D.  Set your display settings in the P3D settings.

Hi Jim, interesting that you mention this. I tried calibrating my monitor using the Windows inbuilt calibration tools and one of the things I did adjust was gamma -( to get the 9 grey dots looking uniform). I am using PTA and Adam's (NZ) preset and getting really bright water so I turned in this direction to try and fix it. I too then noticed a sudden odd draining of VAS. My question then, how do I undo this and restore the default monitor calibration settings?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

You should be able to select "Other Applications Select Color Settings" and that should remove any other setup.  It really is strange that using another display setting other than the "Other Applications Select Color Settings" brings P3D down.  Might be a bug in the programming like the issue some were having with SLI.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Other Applications Select Color Settings

Jim, is that in nVidia control panel?

**EDIT**

Found it, just had to look a little harder.

Edited by HUSSAR

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi all,

the topics I've read might be correct but, since

1) This issue occurred to me between morning and evening and the warning appeared BEFORE the complete P3D home page opening

2) I didn't mess with any setting at all, since I only completed a flight in the morning, exit P3D, switched off my pc and reopened it few hours later.

3) More, I even unchecked lots of airport sceneries from my Scenery Editor right in the very same morning.

4) Since I switched to P3D, from v 3.2. up to 3.4.18, changing even my graphic card, not a single time I heard the fatal death toll of an OOM.

5) I understand that my clues are too few to be understood; I can only guess that something happened - who knows - to one of my memory benches.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll take my pc at my trusted laboratory and as soon as they discovered any culprit, I'll send a feedback, just as an help to other people.

Thanks again, I really appreciated your help,

Regards,

Fulvio

Fulvio Arman

Hi Fulvio,

Anytime you have P3D running out of memory at startup, it is most likely photo scenery or a module from your dll.xml's (there are two of them) that is causing it.  This is why I recommend in the AVSIM CTD Guide on Page 10 to disable the dll.xml and rename the p3d.cfg and rename the scenery.cfg and see if the problem still occurs.  If not, you simply bring back the scenery.cfg and see if it still is working.  If so, bring back the P3D.cfg and see if your sim is still loading.  If so, bring back one of your dll.xml's and then the other dll.xml until the sim starts crashing again at startup. 

It is impossible for it to be P3D alone w/o any add-ons.  There are memory leaks from other applications though possible.  You have to look at it logically, like Spock.  It it was happening to everyone with the default P3D w/o any add-ons, then it is LM.  There was an issue with those who were running SLI video cards but that was fixed and we see no more issues other than the normal OOM's when you load the 747 with AS16 weather and Orbx Vector/UTX Vector, and other addons.  You do not need to uncheck airport sceneries like FSDT stuff as it is not loaded unless you are near the airport.  Any photo scenery and autogen that is still active in Scenery/World/Scenery will take up a massive amount of resources.  If you have any FTX/Orbx scenery and you disabled it in the Scenery Config Editor, they still have a massive amount of .bgl's in Scenery/World/Scenery that use to be turned off when you deactivated the scenery in FTX Central.  But the latest version will not allow that.  Anything and everything in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder will load no matter where in the world you are located.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM