Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Crossing the Red - Tour of Australia - Jandakot to Cairns

Crossing the Red – Jandakot to Cairns

Starting in Jandakot (just south of Perth) in Western Australia the route will take use east into the wheat belt of Western Australia before turning north  to cross the iron mining communities with an intermediate  destination of Broome.  From Broome the route proceeds east and then north to reach Argyle. Turning south we continue across the vast emptiness of Western Australia to reach Ayers and Uluru.  We will slow down the pace a bit to tour the numerus Ozx bush strips in this area before reaching  the center of the Island Continent at Alice Springs.  The second half of the journey will take us further east touching down at Bedourie at the northern end of the Simpson Desert before heading north towards Mt Isa.  The final section to the route heads east then north across Queensland to our final destination Cairns.

RedRoute.jpg

The total length of the route is 4,184nm which will require at least 5 and possibly 6 sessions. 

Aircraft Recommendations.

Multiple aircraft types and speeds will be required on different sections of the route.  

RedFun.jpg

You will need a “fun” plane for sections of the route where the airports are close together. 

RedFast.jpg

You will want a “fast” plane capable of landing on rough strips (this freeware warbird will fit the bill nicely).

RedWork.jpg

Finally you will want “work” plane that is moderately quick and capable of short field operations for the bush strips around Alice Springs.

Recommended Scenery

Orbx Australia Region (Payware)

OZx v3.5 Complete  (Freeware)  426 Australian Airports and heliports plus many other sites of interest to experience.  You need to download and install the Ozx Libraries in the provided link in addition to the scenery.

OZx YBMA Mt Isa 1.0.0  (Freeware Bob Flukey.  – Requires Ozx Libraries noted above)

YCUN Cunderdin Airport  (Orbx Freeware Airport)

Optional Scenery

YPJT Perth Jandakot Airport  (Payware)  Jarrad Marshall’s first Orbx Airport

YBRM Broome International Airport (Payware) Another pearl of an Airport on the Indian Ocean by Jarred Marshall.

YBAS Alice Springs Airport (Payware) “The Alice” by Jerry Smith in the center of the Red.

YBCS Cairns Airport (Payware) Jewel of the tropical north by Jarred Marshall.

Additional OZx scenery (thanks MM)

YFTZ.  Fitzroy Crossing. Stefan Kessler.
YBGO.  Balgo Hill. Misha Cajic.
YAYE.  Ayers Rock (Connellan). Etien.

Particulars

Date and time: Feb 25, 2017, 1900 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest TEST version is here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your initial clock to dusk minus 3.5 hours in local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.

Crossing the Red Flight Plan & Pilots Guide Part 1 Link

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Now THIS is aviating! The AVSIM's Saturday Evening Special board is going to look interesting. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I think I know what Jeff did on Sunday afternoon after the race finished early....

This looks like a really fun plan.  Looking forward to it!  Off to find some Aussie repaints now :good:

Now that looks interesting!

I have a question to the OZx - files: I installed all packages and the library, but most airports are not in the P3D database and have black textures at some (or all) of the buildings at the fields (i.e. YBLD,YQDG,YCIG). Has anybody tried these field in P3D? is there anything that would need to be installed in addtion to the files and the library? 

Edit: Same situation in FSX...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Has anybody tried these field in P3D? is there anything that would need to be installed in addtion to the files and the library? 

Gunter,  I read this post over at Ozx,  It seems that the 3.5 complete download is missing some of the earlier library objects/textures.  

ozx-35-complete-issue

Make sure you get the early libraries

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Thanks for the help, looking much better without black textures. 

Ready for Down Under now!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Jeff, does your RV7 still work in P3D? 'cos mine don't anymore! Must be something in that last update.

Seems to work just fine.  I am using stock GPS and removed the problem gauge you told me about in the panel.cfg

//gauge02=btsRV7!gtx327,

26aLetj.png

Yeah, me too. But something has got up P3D's nose. I'll let it go for a few months, then I'll reinstall it. In the meantime Ant's Winjeel is as close as you'll get to Accusim for 25 bucks.

Loving this forum update.....NOT!

EDIT: Got it! For reasons that only a higher being would know, the GaugeSound.dll was missing from the root folder. All good now. Off to bed. :)

My 2 rides for tonight:

My%202%20rides.jpg?raw=1

Sorry you've got to work for it, but the new forums don't seem to include the ability to post image files any more. Let's hope that's one of the things being worked on.

Edit: can now post images into the forums! Thanks AVSIM for sorting this out.

I have complete faith in the AVSIM IT guys!
Things will come around as time permits. Patience is a virtue.

Without further ado & unneeded comment, here are some screenies of today's flight. 
Don't worry gents I caught y'all on JoinFS recorder. Your landings will be published! :tw_astonished: A little time is needed.

GREAT FLIGHT JEFF! Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dyyfbqdyh79cxp/AAA04K0J2kHTy8IMbCIEs0bZa?dl=0

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Sorry I missed it - a surprise snow shower threw off my schedule... back next week!

Bert