Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

Why I Like Kaby Lake

Coming off of an Ivy Bridge patform, Kaby was a breath of fresh air.  The much more organized bios is great and Gigabyte has a nice EZ OC guide that kind-of makes sense.  The main feeling is that there is room to move.  5ghz is trivial but may require delidding.  Its a process that requires dexterity or you can use one of the new tools.  This process will give me about 15C.  Like SandyBridge, Kaby is an easy one to OC, possibly the only platform to do 5ghz on air reliably ever. 

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Actually, after delidding you can expect a drop between 10 and 30 degrees. Many have seen a 30 degree drop. That's with liquid Ultra or Pro.

And yes the tools, for example the DieMate 2, are fantastic. Much safer.

Modern UEFI is great isn't it?

Glad you're happy.  :smile:

I like Kaby because it's an insane overclocker.  I'm stable @ 5.2GHz and 1.37V.  Never thought we would see numbers like this again with just water cooling.  

Hi Folks,

LOL - Gigabyte makes OC pretty darn easy - I think I changed one setting to set my Sandy i2700K at 4.7Ghz on air - and it's been running that way ever since... It still manages to give decent performance with P3D and all the usual add-ons...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

LOL - Gigabyte makes OC pretty darn easy - I think I changed one setting to set my Sandy i2700K at 4.7Ghz on air - and it's been running that way ever since... It still manages to give decent performance with P3D and all the usual add-ons...

Regards,

Scott

What does this have to do with Kaby Lake?  I'm glad you're happy with your system performance, but I'll bet it can't hold a candle to this: http://www.avsim.com/topic/329116-fsxmark11/page-51#entry3580381

What does this have to do with Kaby Lake?  I'm glad you're happy with your system performance, but I'll bet it can't hold a candle to this: http://www.avsim.com/topic/329116-fsxmark11/page-51#entry3580381

I was referencing the original posters Gigabyte MOBO comment and the ease at which they OC - but - if this is mine is better than yours issue - you win - thanks for playing...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I like Kaby because it's an insane overclocker.  I'm stable @ 5.2GHz and 1.37V.  Never thought we would see numbers like this again with just water cooling.  

What were your before and after delid temps Max. Or did you not bother to check.

I was referencing the original posters Gigabyte MOBO comment and the ease at which they OC - but - if this is mine is better than yours issue - you win - thanks for playing...

Regards,

Scott

The OP wasn't referring to auto overclocking features, he referenced a guide that Gigabyte put out which teaches a person how to OC manually.  So either way you slice it, your comments have no bearing on the topic.  

What were your before and after delid temps Max. Or did you not bother to check.

I don't bother anymore Martin.  Especially since I'm water cooled it's more work than it's worth to assemble the system with the CPU @ stock and then pull it out to delid it and reassemble.  My earliest delidding adventure with Ivy Bridge proved to me the merits, I'm not that curious to know how crappy Intel's TIM is today.  If you use liquid metal and have good cooling, you can see 30C temp drops during stress tests.  Higher if you lap your cooler's mating surface and your CPU's IHS.  I think I had a 37C drop on my 3770k when all was said and done.  Lots of work though, I don't bother lapping anymore.

They clock insane,TechguyMaxC  your chip is very similar to mine it is delidded with PRO.

5.0GHZ 1.215V
5.1GHz 1.270V
5.2GHz 1.360V

5.3GHZ 1.430V

RogRealbench and CB15, 4C/8T

Cooling Custom water D5 420rad , with NZXT X61 Kraken in Chassi 5.2 is max temps little higher then with custom water , run it at 5.1ghz 1.30-1.32v 3800mhz C15 on Z170.

So either way you slice it, your comments have no bearing on the topic.  

That's a little harsh...  Scott was only making a general comment, no need to get upset about it.

Anyway...

Those are some very good numbers. After delidding mine I also dropped nearly 30 degree's C.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I'm wondering if doing a delid the only way to achieve 5+ Ghz, and if there is any significant difference going from say 4.7 to 5 Ghz, or is it just an imaginary performance  improvement? 

NB: I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wondering if the sim is really showing an improvement. Of course under P3D high settings and high end addons.

I'm wondering if doing a delid the only way to achieve 5+ Ghz, and if there is any significant difference going from say 4.7 to 5 Ghz, or is it just an imaginary performance  improvement? 

NB: I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wondering if the sim is really showing an improvement. Of course under P3D high settings and high end addons.

5 GHz is possible without delidding. 4.7 to 5 GHz is about 6%. And frame rate increase in a well balanced system is linear, so at 30 FPS expect 1.8 frames. Some will claim difreant but there you go. So no, it's not actually a huge deal.

15 hours ago, joemiller said:

NB: I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wondering if the sim is really showing an improvement. Of course under P3D high settings and high end addons.

Performance is measured within the width of a gnats eyelash.  Seems a .1Ghz increase in gpu is worth about 2% overall.  On the other hand that 2% could be a logarithmic performance boost somewhere by removing a block.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png