Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Why isn't my Cargo Door working?

To take it further, is it normal that cargo loading is done and cargo doors operated with the aircraft systems completely off (cold and dark)? So the cargo can be almost loaded and then the pilots arrive, turn the aircraft on while the cargo loading is about to be finished and doors closed?

Aircraft turning on is done by maintenance they do inspections before the day's flights. - David Lee

Aircraft turning on is done by maintenance they do inspections before the day's flights. - David Lee

I know that's how it's usually done but sometimes freighters are turned on by pilots. I just want to know whether it would cause some kind of issues for the cargo loading personnel if the systems are not turned on? I understand the cargo deck systems are independent and rely on the power sources from EXT or APU to be available.

• Upvote 1

"lets just click the hell out of it and it might work!"

Hardest I have laughed in a couple of months.

I know that's how it's usually done but sometimes freighters are turned on by pilots. I just want to know whether it would cause some kind of issues for the cargo loading personnel if the systems are not turned on? I understand the cargo deck systems are independent and rely on the power sources from EXT or APU to be available.

Not sure what you're asking, but...

Cargo loading can sometimes take hours so I do hope power is on the aircraft before the pilots arrrive. I'm not sure how every airline handles this, but someone has to plug in external power and turn on the ground power unit. Pilots are not trained to do this. Engineers and perhaps other trained ground staff will be able to supply ground power. If no ground power unit is available and pilots are not available, then a qualified person (hopefully an engineer) will start the APU.

Hope this helps?

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

I had a situation last night with the pax version where the forward and aft cargo doors would not open after landing (the bulk cargo door opened ok). I only had a single GPU external power connection. I had to start the APU to get the cargo doors to open.

The discussion here is about main deck cargo so surely lower deck cargo doors should operate with only one GPU connected at a remote stand?

ki9cAAb.jpg

3 hours ago, kevinh said:

I had a situation last night with the pax version where the forward and aft cargo doors would not open after landing (the bulk cargo door opened ok). I only had a single GPU external power connection. I had to start the APU to get the cargo doors to open.

The discussion here is about main deck cargo so surely lower deck cargo doors should operate with only one GPU connected at a remote stand?

On further investigation I think this is correct, but it is still something people should be aware of.

Lower deck fwd/aft cargo doors are powered by the ground handling bus which requires APU Gen 2 to be operating or EXT PWR 2 to be connected. Unlike for the main deck cargo doors the lower deck doors will still operate if these power sources are connected to the sync busses.

Maybe this is worth mentioning in the opening post for completeness?

ki9cAAb.jpg

26 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Maybe this is worth mentioning in the opening post for completeness?

Hi,

Maybe it's worth mentioning that the information is available in the manuals that come with the aircraft? :tongue:

I'm still surprised how some are ready to spend 90USD (135 for P3D) for an aircraft with extreme accuracy and systems depth but then expect to be able to handle it like a Cessna without taking the time to dig through the real-world documentation that comes with it.

Well, I admit that may seem hard words from me as the FCOM is not the most friendly reading.
However, I wonder if some of the posters who rush to the forum to get answers without opening the manuals would do the same in real life:

"_ Hi, I have bought a new car at your shop but I don't know how to open the trunk!

_ Sir, please have a look at the manual located in the glove compartment!"

Not pointing anyone in particular and hurt feeling intended !

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

17 hours ago, Budbud said:

Hi,

Maybe it's worth mentioning that the information is available in the manuals that come with the aircraft? :tongue:

I'm still surprised how some are ready to spend 90USD (135 for P3D) for an aircraft with extreme accuracy and systems depth but then expect to be able to handle it like a Cessna without taking the time to dig through the real-world documentation that comes with it.

Well, I admit that may seem hard words from me as the FCOM is not the most friendly reading.
However, I wonder if some of the posters who rush to the forum to get answers without opening the manuals would do the same in real life:

"_ Hi, I have bought a new car at your shop but I don't know how to open the trunk!

_ Sir, please have a look at the manual located in the glove compartment!"

Not pointing anyone in particular and hurt feeling intended !

As I clearly I did read the manual, as I found out the operation was correct as stated in the post you quoted. So there was no need for a RTFM lecture.

The information about the main deck cargo operation is in the manual too, but Kyle felt the need to make a sticky post about it. I thought it was worth adding the power dependency for lower deck as well.

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

As I clearly I did read the manual, as I found out the operation was correct as stated in the post you quoted. So there was no need for a RTFM lecture.

I understood that, hence my comment "Not pointing anyone in particular and hurt feeling intended !". Sorry if it was perceived as a lecture.

It was more a comment towards this (which is the part which still surprises me:

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

but Kyle felt the need to make a sticky post about it.

How often questions can be answered by "Introduction manual page X" or "FCOM page X"?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

39 minutes ago, Budbud said:

How often questions can be answered by "Introduction manual page X" or "FCOM page X"?

You can bring  a camel to a watering hole but  can you make him  drink it:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

4 hours ago, Budbud said:

I understood that, hence my comment "Not pointing anyone in particular and hurt feeling intended !". Sorry if it was perceived as a lecture.

It was more a comment towards this (which is the part which still surprises me:

If you understood I had read the manual who else was it meant for? No one else had asked about the lower deck cargo doors.

As for your second point if you feel Kyle shouldn't have bothered starting this thread then tell him, not me. I was only suggesting adding info about all cargo doors.

ki9cAAb.jpg