Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

No upgrade fee from ORBX products for new P3D

These are excellent news, from all users of the excellent products from ORBX for P3D:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130828-no-upgrade-fee-for-orbx-products-for-next-version-of-p3d/

Thanks. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Yep, that is really good news and a relief for those of us with quite a bit invested in OrbX products. Now let's hope that v4 is a a big improvement and step forward.

Now let's hope that v4 is a a big improvement and step forward.

I'm confident it will be!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Well this tells us two things. First there will be a v4 and two, from the scenery side of things anyway the update work required of developers is rather light on manpower. Good to know and hopefully will also apply to airports.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Well this tells us two things. First there will be a v4 and two, from the scenery side of things anyway the update work required of developers is rather light on manpower. Good to know and hopefully will also apply to airports.

Huh? It applies to ORBX Products, which are just as much airport as they are scenery. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Huh? It applies to ORBX Products, which are just as much airport as they are scenery. 

I'm sure he meant other developers like FlyTampa who focus specifically on airports will also (hopefully) have relatively little work to do to port to v4.

I do not consider it as a good news per se, we will see. The first (hopefully premature) conclusion I draw is that the terrain engine ( the 1.2x1.2 km resolution, the limited number of landclass, etc.), will stay. If OrbX makes it free it means that FTx c3 will just have to redirect files and the OF .dll will only need to be slightly updated. Everybody wants a whole new simming experience but that nothing changes...

It is highly probable that sales are hurt right now by the uncertainty of the date of the release. So some like OrbX are keen to confirm compatibility to restat them. Let' wait for the aircraft and weather people. If they say the same, full compatibility, v4 might be underwhelming... 64bit for less OOM ? I almost have no OOM.

I would have gladly paid an upgrade fee for having a renovated terrain engine

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm sure he meant other developers like FlyTampa who focus specifically on airports will also (hopefully) have relatively little work to do to port to v4.

Yes this, hopefully people like Fly Tampa, Flightbeam, UK2000 and FSDT will also extend the free update offer.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Yes this, hopefully people like Fly Tampa, Flightbeam, UK2000 and FSDT will also extend the free update offer.

I don't have much doubt about these having always reacted quite quickly so far.

The Achilles heel will supposedly be Aerosoft again (not to mention a number of smaller one-man-shows). Aerosoft again will tell us they are only the distributor and they can't press their subcontractors etc. etc. And they will continue to write "Prepar3d compatible" on their storefront which they understand as Prepar3d1 compatible (anyone still running this?), but anyone else understands as being compatible with the most recent version which will be Prepar3d4 soon.

I own quite a number of their sceneries and I'd be gladly proven wrong but I am in doubt based on previous experience.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Everybody wants a whole new simming experience but that nothing changes...

That's truly a good point.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

The Achilles heel will supposedly be Aerosoft again (not to mention a number of smaller one-man-shows). Aerosoft again will tell us they are only the distributor and they can't press their subcontractors etc. etc. And they will continue to write "Prepar3d compatible" on their storefront which they understand as Prepar3d1 compatible (anyone still running this?), but anyone else understands as being compatible with the most recent version which will be Prepar3d4 soon.

I own quite a number of their sceneries and I'd be gladly proven wrong but I am in doubt based on previous experience.

Kind regards, Michael

I actually don't understand people's problem with this. If we were talking about buying a product in a shop off a shelf, should the same thing apply? Should the developer have to recall all products just so they could change the wording on the label in case someone misinterpreted that at the time of printing, there was no such thing as P3D v2 or V3?

In any case, Aerosoft are well known for being pretty generous when it comes to releasing products for different platforms in the sense they have a policy that a customer will never have to pay for the same product again, just because they are now using a different platform.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Hi Folks,

If ORBX is truly trying to generate sales - they should really work on getting PayPal back into their repertoire - I haven't purchased anything from them since as it's just not as convenient for me to make purchases - they even shutdown my typical Xmas Sale buying spree...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Was a bit surprised with this announcement... We'll see when more information of Prepar3D v4 is released

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

In any case, Aerosoft are well known for being pretty generous when it comes to releasing products for different platforms in the sense they have a policy that a customer will never have to pay for the same product again, just because they are now using a different platform.

In general, I might agree to this. However, notably compared to other addon makers/distributors, they have been very lazy when it comes to Prepar3d support. I had the complete German Airports collection and all German Airfields as far as they worked on the series. Only a small portion of them made it into Prepar3d (>v1). I would well have paid an upgrade fee (Aerosoft had such in force until ~2012 and I paid it several times) instead of being surrounded by devastated airports in Germany.

Fortunately, the situations starts to relax now that other makers enter the stage. And I am well prepared to pay them for their effort. What use is generosity if nothing is available?

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I do not consider it as a good news per se, we will see. The first (hopefully premature) conclusion I draw is that the terrain engine ( the 1.2x1.2 km resolution, the limited number of landclass, etc.), will stay. If OrbX makes it free it means that FTx c3 will just have to redirect files and the OF .dll will only need to be slightly updated. Everybody wants a whole new simming experience but that nothing changes...

It is highly probable that sales are hurt right now by the uncertainty of the date of the release. So some like OrbX are keen to confirm compatibility to restat them. Let' wait for the aircraft and weather people. If they say the same, full compatibility, v4 might be underwhelming... 64bit for less OOM ? I almost have no OOM.

I would have gladly paid an upgrade fee for having a renovated terrain engine

This is my biggest take away as well.  Hopefully we are wrong and it is a worthy upgrade to v4, but this announcement sure makes it seem like just more of the same old FSX environment.

Regardless though, still exciting!

Hi Folks,

If ORBX is truly trying to generate sales - they should really work on getting PayPal back into their repertoire - I haven't purchased anything from them since as it's just not as convenient for me to make purchases - they even shutdown my typical Xmas Sale buying spree...

Regards,

Scott

I'm in the exact same boat.  I ended up not buying anything during the sale, and have no plans to until they make peace with PayPal.  I understand it's a tough situation.  I'm terrible about spur of the moment purchases, just ask my wife ha, and no PayPal has stopped that completely with Orbx.