Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

GoFlight ATC module

OK, this isn't really an FSX-SE issue but I will be using it with FSX-SE so hoping the moderator will let me ask this question here. I have several GoFlight modules and absolutely love them but my income is a lot less than it once was, so it's been a long time since I was able to purchase any new modules.

I just noticed that the price on the ATC module has been sharply reduced.

1. As I understand it, the ATC module had a rotator switch and a window that I assume allows you to select a number that corresponds to the default ATC request???? If so, how do you trigger it? I see that there's a mic input so can it be voice controlled?

2. There is a receptacle for a headphone and a speaker jack. There is very little information on the GoFlight product page to describe what the module actually does but I recall reading somewhere that it seperates the ATC conversation from all the other sounds. You hear ATC in the headphones and the other sounds from your speakers.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, does it work well? If it does, I would buy it in a heartbeat as to me that would be a major enhancement of realism. With some aircraft, I find it very difficult to hear ATC no matter how much I fiddle with the sound settings. To have clear ATC voices in my headphones and all the ambient noises coming from my speakers would be a huge improvement IMO.

Has anyone purchased the module and can tell me about it?

Thanks

Ian

I have one of these, although I don't use it much now (I switched to voice with MCE and the Saitek radio panel). But it works quite well, and the way you describe it is more or less correct. You use the rotary knob to select the ATC option you want, and then press the knob to activate it.

The headphone socket doesn't exactly separate out the ATC sounds, but it goes some of the way by filtering out most of the bass frequencies, which makes the ATC voices clearer.

I don't recall there being a mic socket - I certainly never used it. I'm guessing it just allows you to plug in your headset mike and feeds it straight through to the PC. There is no in-built voice control.

Hope that helps !

DB

Thanks Dick. I very much appreciate the info and the review was helpful. I decided to forgo buying it. Though I liked the idea of the ATC interface and especially the possibility of having good quality and controllable ATC voice in my headset, the fact that all other sounds are supressed unless you choose to include them in what you hear in the headset (which seems to negate the point of buying it) was a turn-off. If they could master the technology of seperating the ATC voice and the other ambient sounds and have the ATC heard clearly through the headset and the other sounds externally via speakers, I think it would be a fantastic addition to realism... (Of course, it would probably also get me kicked out of the house by my family as the speakers would have to be really loud to overcome the noise-cancellation of my headphones!!!) LOL

As I would have to also buy a new rack to put the module in, as my existing one is full, that was also a deterrent to buying it...

I hope nobody reads this and gets the impression that GoFlight modules of all kinds are not superb products, as this would be the last thing I want to convey. I love my GoFlight modules and am amazed at how durable and utterly reliable they are.... But this particular one, though I think it sounds good, isn't quite good enough for me to want to buy the module AND the needed rack.....

Pity :sad:

One thing you could do is plug your headset into the speaker socket on the module. This would mean you would get all FSX sounds in your headset, but you can then adjust the level of voice and other sounds in FSX settings so the voice takes precedence. That's pretty much what I do with my FSX sounds (I need to keep the neighbours happy too !) I have Voice set at 100% and everything else at 25%.

BTW the ATC option/selection is completely separate from the sound inputs/outputs, so you could just use the panel for that and feed your sounds elsewhere if you want.

Thanks Dick. I'm tempted - being able to control the ATC volume and quality would be valuable and the reduced price of the module itself makes it worth a try. The issue I have to decide on is that I will have to buy another rack to mount it in as my current one is already full... I really appreciate your advice and feedback and will continue to give it consideration

Ian