Sign in to follow this  
Christian Bahr

LINDA and P3D v4 64-Bit

Hello.

Will LINDA continue to work in the future?

As a big fan and user of Linda, I ask myself exactly this question. Against the backdrop of a 64-bit version of the Flight Simulator Prepar3D, which is expected to be released in the future, discussions are constantly taking place that 32-bit programs such as Linda would no longer work with a 64-bit P3D version. Since it would be for me of immense importance to learn how this with LINDA and P3D 64-Bit behaves.

Cheers
Christian

For a sophisticated flight simulation
www.bahrometrix.de

Hi Christian

Thank you for raising a very important question. It is our every intention to continue to support LINDA for the future. I too have read the 'rumours' concerning the much anticipated P3D 64-bit version but we have no way of knowing whether LINDA will work until any release is made.

LINDA, unlike other add-ons, does not interface directly with any of the Flight Simulators (FSX, FSX-SE and P3D) but instead communicates through FSUIPC4 at a data exchange level. The first question is whether FSUIPC4 will need to be re-issued in 64-bit to work with a 64-bit P3D. The follow on question is then whether LINDA will need to re-compiled in 64-bit to remain compatible with FSUIPC4. As is the case at present with Win10 64-bit, 32- and 64-bit programs can run side-by-side.

I have started to look at building a 64-bit version of LINDA but this may require an update to the Embarcadero Delphi IDE and a number of third-party libraries. An update to the LUA interpreter to 64-bit will also be required. There will be a cost to this. The good news is that the LUA code in the core part of LINDA and all aircraft modules is an interpretative language and will not require any changes.

Any feedback and knowledge on future releases (currently subject to strict NDAs) are welcome as are donations to support new development software.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Is a 64bit LINDA really needed? (I have no clue about that technical aspects)

Currently we also have 32 bit programs running under a 64 OS (e.g. LINDA)

Does it make a difference?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Günter

As mentioned, I don't think we need to issue LINDA as a 64-bit application but I am looking at what would be need if the current 32-bit fails to work with any future P3D developments.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Now I understand it. LINDA does not have to be 64-bit, so it runs under P3D 64-bit. I would have had to come myself, because LINDA is an external program and no module DLL such as FSUIPC by Pete Dowson. Or like the ObjectFlow module of ORBX - these are both DLL files.
So I think that LINDA does not have to be 64-bit to work with P3D in the future. Thank you very much for your explanations.

LINDA forever!!! :smile:

Cheers

Christian

www.bahrometrix.de

Now I still have a small technical question: does LINDA use the interface SimConnect, or its functions? And if so, is SimConnect also 32-bit, or does not it play any role in this context? You had already written that LINDA communicates with FSUIPC.

Cheers

Christian

www.bahrometrix.de

Hi Christian

No LINDA only interfaces through FSUIPC4 not SimConnect.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Lockheed Martin has announced that Prepar3D v4 will be released on 30 May 17. They confirm the speculation that it run as a 64-bit application. While it has been eagerly awaited there will be issues with various add-ons needing to be released to also run in 64-bit. 

LINDA is built around FSUIPC4. Both applications run in 32-bit and are highly likely to be incompatible with P3Dv4. FSUIPC4 has been developed over many years and would require a major rewrite/redesign to work with 64-bit. Information I have received indicates that work may not be possible.

Therefore, I would warn users that they will permanently lose the functionality that LINDA offers if they decide upgrade to P3Dv4. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Apparently fsuipc 5 is almost done and just needing a few more things. Per Rob A. on the Airdaily X live stream.

Eric 

I have been following the discussion. If and only if FSUIPC5 becomes a reality  then I will need to investigate the changes that will be required to LINDA. I cannot forecast the time or the success of achieving this. Therefore, my statement and warning on updating to P3Dv4 still stands. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

On 5/24/2017 at 2:49 AM, ScotFlieger said:

I have been following the discussion. If and only if FSUIPC5 becomes a reality  then I will need to investigate the changes that will be required to LINDA. I cannot forecast the time or the success of achieving this. Therefore, my statement and warning on updating to P3Dv4 still stands. 

Pete announced in a reply in the P3D 64 bit thread on his forum that fsuipc 5 will be released. Not on the release day of P3D v4 but sounds like not too long after. Looking forward to LINDA if possible. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

Pete Dowson, the FSUIPC developer, is working on FSUIPC5 to work with P3Dv4 in 64-bit. He has hit a problem with Win10 at present and is working to resolve this. The initial release is unlikely to support the VRInsight serial interface required to work with the MCP Combo panels. Once FSUIPC5, the 64-bit version, is released I will be looking at what I need to do to update LINDA to work with it and P3Dv4. I can offer no forecast at present.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I am sure you all know that FSUIPC5 is released now (freeware module only) and the Payware module will be released tomorrow.  Pete has also noted the following with regard to VRInsight.

--------------

IMPORTANT: What is missing in FSUIPC5?   (For Version 5.10, first public release)

There are a number of items currently not implemented but which hopefully are to follow in due course (sorry, no dates predictable at present). These are:

Device support

1.       GoFlight button and switch support: this depends on a module from GoFlight called GFDev.DLL, and a 64-bit version of this module is needed. (GoFlight devices connected via WideFS are okay, still using a 32-bit WideClient and 32-bit GFDev.DLL locally to the client PC).

2.       VRInsight original serial port device support.

3.       PFC COM serial port devices previously using PFCFSX.DLL. The conversion of this module to the 64-bit version (potentially called PFCCOM64.DLL) will be under way shortly after the public release of FSUIPC5.

4.       PFC Hid devices previously using PFCHID.DLL. The conversion of this module to the 64-bit version (potentially called PFCHID64.DLL) will be under way shortly after the public release of FSUIPC5.

--------------------------

So does this mean we are waiting for some 64 bit DLL from VRInsight to get the serial port device support?  Do we even need the Original Serial Port support or does the device use some other port?

Interested in your comments on this.  Hopefully LINDA in P3D v4 is not far away.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The straight answer is I do not know. Until I have a full version of FSUIPC5 and am able to see what I need to do for the LINDA.EXE, your guess is as good as mine.

LINDA relies on FSUIPC to interface with the VRi serial to USB and the MCP panels. From the statement you quote this will not be able initially in FSUIPC5. There is no VRI dll, just the drivers. 

Those users wishing to retain full LINDA functionality should stay with P3Dv3. I certainly will until more of the aircraft and scenery addons are also updated. I offer no forecast on when full LINDA functionality will be available. I can only urge patience and for users to watch this space. 

• Upvote 2

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK