Sign in to follow this  
srcraig

XP 64 bit and RAM requirements

I am about to upgrade my PC for XP 64 bit and Windows 10. Will 16Gb be enough for sim only or should I go with 32?

Thanks

Stewart

Stewart 

Scotland, UK

Depends - I have 16GB and get on fine for everyday stuff with X-Plane. However, if you're going to use the UHD mesh, then you'll definitely want 32+

How about getting as much as you can afford.  With scenery and airports shaping up the way they are already, you could burn through 16gb pretty quick.  It never hurts to have a little extra and with 64-bit version of XP, it'll take full advantage.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

How about getting as much as you can afford.  With scenery and airports shaping up the way they are already, you could burn through 16gb pretty quick.  It never hurts to have a little extra and with 64-bit version of XP, it'll take full advantage.

Nice Jim  :wink:

Rich Sennett

If you are planning on keeping your upgrade for a while then as previously suggested, 32gb is the way to go. 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Nice Jim  :wink:

I was actually being serious.  For any type of upgrade these days, memory and storage are pretty competitive and very worthy upgrades.  Jump on the deals while you can and as I said, if you can afford extra ram, get it.  Another good reason is for applications running outside of XP, for XP.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I was actually being serious.  For any type of upgrade these days, memory and storage are pretty competitive and very worthy upgrades.  Jump on the deals while you can and as I said, if you can afford extra ram, get it.  Another good reason is for applications running outside of XP, for XP.

I know Jim totally agree big time - I have 32gig myself and I know XP is using it - hey maybe 64gig upgrade at some point - its cheap enough now a days

Rich Sennett

16gb is fine for UHD all day long. and will be enough for xp11 in every configuration for the forseeable future.

However if you are like me, that has 2 monitors and then opens firefox, some other programs, has charts on navigraph running maybe do something else during cruise, then 16gb can get a little bit crowded :)

its not xp11, its what you do during the same time.

I just upgraded to 32gb and its not a huge difference coming from 16gb in most cases. However, in very dense areas such as NYC (DD design) i am using over 17gb of system ram alone and all my 6gb of video ram which before would grind my system to a halt.

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I bought ddr4 3200 cl16 gskill ripjaws.

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

One should note that speed and type are dictated by the system requirements. One should check their specs to confirm the range so that you don't buy memory types your system won't use.  :smile: