Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Pilots Mesh - what does AFM2 do exactly?

Hi!

I was just thinking about the new FS Global Ultimate Mesh and read something about the Aerodrom Flattening Meshes V2 (AFM2).

The descripton says it will also consider FTX Vector AEC airports, but I would like to know what it does exactly?

Anybody out there owning the product and can tell what AFM2 is doing in detail?

Marc

Marc Weber

Just for those who are interested, I just got an answer from Pilot's.

AFM2 will not change any APT-files, but adapt the mesh around a specific airport to avoid plateau airports.

It will handle stock airports and FTX-Vector-airports the same way.

Marc Weber

Hi Marc,

http://www.pilots.shop/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

AFM was PILOT's original release. AFM2 is ORBX's AEC (Airport Elevation Correction) aware and is compatible with P3D v3.4. I know because I use it occasionally. As far as I remember, if you have purchased one of PILOT's products, like FS Global Ultimate, then you will be able to download AFM2 from your account.

Regards,

Mike

Bonjour Mike,

AFM2 is ORBX's AEC (Airport Elevation Correction) aware and is compatible with P3D v3.4. 

One thing I do not understand well ! AFM2 is used to flatten mesh, and vector AEC is used to normalize the altitude of the airport.
So do we have to use both for airport with plateau ?

Merci

Claude 

Claude Troncy

One thing I do not understand well ! AFM2 is used to flatten mesh, and vector AEC is used to normalize the altitude of the airport.

Same thing, just a different way of saying it.

Hi Claude,

I'm not really sure what AFM2 will do when it's handling the Vector AEC-airports, but I assume it will only do some additional flattening of the mesh around that airport.

I was told AFM2 will not touch the APT-files, so it will not change the airports height. This is corrected by FTX Vector anyway.

Think it can improve the look of airports situated in a slope of the mesh as you can see here (from the Pilot's homepage): Pic1

After AFM2 it should look like this hopefully: Pic2

I'm not in possession of the product right now, so cannot exactly say how things are handled, but soon I will check it :wink: Ordered it already.

Marc

Marc Weber

Bonjour Claude,

Basically I've nothing much to add to Marc's helpful response. I find myself using both AEC and/or AFM2. Each has its own strengths and the results can vary. For example, having installed PILOT's FS Global Ultimate-Next Generation Mesh, if I come across an airport that clearly needs some elevation correction I will try AFM2 first. Then, depending on the results, I will disable the AFM2 corrections and try ORBX's AEC to see if the corrections are any better. To date I have not tried the effect of using both AFM2 AND AEC so unable to say what the results would be.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you very much Mike and Marc for these informations.

After reading more carefully the doc provided with AFM2, it seems that AFM2 is the last step to do, and need to be done each time we enable or disable an AEC. If we use AFM2 of course

AFM 2 will detect, if you have FTX Vector installed and if you have enabled or disabled

certain AECs Vector provides. This also means, IF you newly enable or disable an AEC
via your Vector Configurator for which you already have installed an AFM for, you MUST
uninstall the AFM and install it again to switch to the other version.

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy