Sign in to follow this  
Wood4591

PMDG 747 QOS

Excellent plane and performance.

Just wondering position of flaps when extended does not seem in right position. ( small middle flap), coming out from and staying on top of wing). sorry could not attach pics in avsim , no attachment icon).

J. Hill

Really hard to understand what you're referring to here. Sounds like you might not have the "advanced animations" checkbox checked, however.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

What you are showing are the inboard ailerons not flaps. So it is normal that they don't "extend" like the flaps.

See FCOM page 9.20.2.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks Romain,

not problem about extending but the way they are stored and coming out does not look right if you see them on real 747, Take a look at some videos on YouTube when flaps & ailerons are extended, might be you will know what I am talking about.

J Hill

Not seeing any issue here. What are you attempting to point out?

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Having been in the aviation industry for 40 years I've never seen an aileron extend!

Certainly newer aircraft  the aileron may decend slightly when flaps are extended for more efficiency  but as far as i'm aware the 747-400 is not one of them.

The only other occasion is when Hyd power is off and then they will sag.

What you will also find with large wings that have inboard and outboard ailerons is,that at higher speeds the outboard ailerons " lock" in neutral  and only the inboard move until speed drops below a certain figure,then the outboard ailerons will work again,aiding maneuverability

Pete Little

Do you have any links to these videos, JH? Do you mean the pivot point looks different? The profile looks different?

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Hi

Apologise to some who got confused about ailerons extending, It was my fault; I did write it quickly and did not put it right. I did not mean any harm or confusion, When I had a look before and during the take off at the wings, the ailerons did not seems ( aesthetically) right resting in their position on the wings. To check that, I had a look at some images and video on YouTube ( googled) real 747 planes and the angle did not look the same and on the PMDG , the ailerons seemed to me ! as they were not in good position. May be , I looked at the wrong angles.

So I was just trying to help not try to find faults, The PMDG 747 is a great plane and extensive efforts and hours were  put into this plane.

Jordy Hill.

No need to apologise

Just couldn't figure what you meant

Pete Little

May be , I looked at the wrong angles.

Perhaps.

The geometry of the ailerons is quite odd. The leading edge of the surface appears to be at right angles to the fuselage and the sides are probably parallel with the fuselage, but the trailing edge is at an angle. I think most people would expect the shape of an aileron to be close to "rectangular". The markings on the upper surface don't help make the aileron look "normal" either.

For the PMDG team, there is an illustration in the AMM (27-11-01) Fig 403 with some different markings. However, these may complicate the perceived shape of the aileron even more :Tounge:

Cheers

JHW

As far as I know, there are no flaperons on the 744 as the inboard ailerons don't act as lifting devices like on the T7.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

As far as I know, there are no flaperons on the 744 as the inboard ailerons don't act as lifting devices like on the T7.

Correct.

However, get your PMDG tape measure...  :Tounge:

The maintenance manual seems to suggest that the outboard ailerons have a very slight droop at all times.

Regarding position indication.. 

"Install the rig pin [this freezes the position of the aileron in a certain position] ....

For the outboard aileron, make sure the indication on the EICAS flight controls maintenance page shows 0.6 +/-0.1 degree down."

...and when installing the ouboard aileron [control wheel and aileron trim at neutral]...

"adjust the input control rod until the inboard trailing edge corner of the aileron is 0.35 to 0.50 inch below the wing trailing edge".

I have no idea where the outboard trailing edge corner of the aileron sits in relation to the wing...  or if 0.6 degrees is visible on the flight control display on the Status Page.

One of Boeing's mysteries...

Cheers

JHW