Sign in to follow this  

747 v3 Unplanned Engine Failure Experience

Don't know if its alright to post a story in this section, if it isn't, let me know.

So I was in a peaceful cruise over Oklahoma when I got a low fuel quantity warning, I used to get those quite a bit in the 737 and 777 but in those cases I still had enough; and I checked the fuel page, 41 tons of fuel left. Then the EICAS practically turned amber with a flood of warnings, Engine 2 and 3 failure. Quickly I pulled up the QRH and shut off the fuel flow to the affected engines. I don't usually program alternates in the FMC (After this experience, I probably should) so I went a little unprofessional and found a suitable airport (KOKC) and whipped up a quick secondary route, which was difficult because I was in approaching some severe turbulence because I was in one severe thunderstorm. I went and disabled all automatic flight systems and flew it completely by hand because I had to descend very quickly and I felt it was easier than to have the autopilot on (Probably a bad mistake leaving it off). Coming down at 300 knots with the speedbrake on its highest detent setting, turbulence rattling the plane senselessly, I was 15 nm until touchdown. By some miracle the speed settled down to a just barely manageable amount and I was able to get to my vref speed. The landing was the most horrible one I have ever made, coming down at 1200 fpm on short final, I pulled back as much as I could at around 20 feet because 50 feet went by in the blink of an eye. I touched the ground not once, but twice. Finally, I sat back in my seat and let out a sigh of relief.

Any suggestions for what I could do differently in a situation like this? Thanks

Always have a plan B.  Flying is 99% boredom so it is hard to always expect the unexpected but this is the first step in not letting the aircraft get ahead of you. A two engine failure doesn't mean you have to dive for the runway, she will fly all day on two engines. You could have remained calm and plan each step always staying ahead of the airplane.  The automation is a great tool, use it if is working when you are dealing with a situation.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Yep had service based failures enabled and lost number 1 at v1.

spacer.png

Yep had service based failures enabled and lost number 1 at v1.

Did you pull a British Airways and continue on to destination?

• Upvote 1

My advice would be to just slow down. Sounds like you pushed it hard and possibly didn't need to. Whenever something happens like that take a deep breath and ask yourself this question, "is the airplane still flying?" Your answer should be "holy cow I can't believe she is still flying."  Very few emergencies need to be a rapid sequence of events, unlike in a helicopter.  Think about what needs to be done and then do it. 

Especially on something when you have 2 engines failed. Setting up for a bad approach can really hurt you if because you might not have the ability to go around. Overall, take your time.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Did you try to relight the engines? Did they flameout because of icing, turbulence, etc?

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Always nice to have 4 engines on board but off course you have double the possibilities for an engine failure (of the 4) than on a two engined aircraft ;-)

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a53bdae&opt=0

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Always nice to have 4 engines on board but off course you have double the possibilities for an engine failure (of the 4) than on a two engined aircraft ;-)

And airplanes with no engines are super reliable :wink:

• Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

And airplanes with no engines are super reliable

But I still cannot figure out how to perform a proper go around with a glider!  :Devil:

Sorry for the off topic post!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

But I still cannot figure out how to perform a proper go around with a glider!  :Devil:

It is not listed in the QRH or FCOM, therefore, it is not possible. (Physics also has a footnote that has more weight than any document) [sorry for the pun...]

I have a RW Commercial Glider and PPL SEL.But have low-time history and haven't been able to fly in years. But what I remember is...

When we flew cross-country between island in the Hawaii chain, we always flew a dog-legged track and a longer route than we needed to: We would note below fishing, sailing, and other pleasure boats and would consciously fly from boat-to-boat across the channel to the next island. This way if we ever had to go in the drink we'd be near a boat. "Hopefully" they would see us go down, "hopefully" as we relayed our posit on 121.5 those guys back at center would be telling the USCG to tell the boat to look up. Naturally this was VFR of course - can't deviate much on IFR routing. And TBH there wasn't ALWAYS a continuous chain of boaters along our path, but whenever there were, we flew them.

The other thing to remember is that last best landing spot you just passed. I remember once the instructor pulled the throttle on me and I set up best glide and began a u-turn. He was like, where are you going? I said we just overflew Wheeler AFB (Army Airfield now) a few moments ago. He said most students never ever think about the perfectly fine long paved runway three miles behind them and instead opt for stretching a glide to that so-so spot five miles uphill and upwind...

On 2/22/2017 at 1:22 PM, Budbud said:

I remember my instructor told me that every landing in a glider is a forced landing - treat it as such. Keep you potential and kinetic energy up (i.e. stay high and fast) until you are guaranteed to make the threshold then dump lift like no tomorrow, present the side of the fuselage to make drag like jeep on the interstate, and then spot land.

I have taken powered pilots and rotary winged pilots for rides in a the glider and they freak out at the height on base leg and the rapid steep drop on final.

(Commercial Glider rating)