Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

removing processes before starting sims

Not really sure where to post this but as I use P3d mostly i'll try here

While this is not a major problem ,I'm sure reducing the proccesses running in the background would at least give me a bit more memory for programs I want to use with my sims.

Currently my average number of proccesses running is 92 which is taking up about 25% of my physical memory.So depending what I plan on running I will go in and shut a few down

Are there any programs out there that can do this for me or at least remember what i shut down .

I vaguely remember one a few years back but it always gave me issues just can't remember the name of it .

If something like simstarter did this that would be ideal  but I think that is more based around the sim itself

Thanks

Pete Little

Check out Frooglesim's video from today.  He runs a program where it can automatically close programs before p3d starts.  

I timecoded it for you

https://youtu.be/M04WZ9gw0Sk?t=415

The program is called Simstarter NG

http://www.aerosoft.com/en/fsxp3d/flight-simulator-x-steam/tools-missions/1428/simstarter-ng

Now obviously you can manually shut down these programs without buying the software.  I've personally never heard of Simstarter NG until I saw his video today.  It does seem to have a few other perks that make it interesting.

Was just about to post the same thing but you beat me franjoflyer :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Simstarter can do this. It can close/kill applications and even restart them after the sim is closed.

The question is if it does make sense, but I am not an expert here. I guess you can forget about most of the background apps given you own a more or less decent system. However, there may a few of them stealing more valuable CPU cycles than is good. You can try to identify them using a tool like e.g. Process Hacker.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Game booster is another very simple and effective tool.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Or you can do it via batch files (.bat) that you write yourself):

Examples:

Change affinity of process:

PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process OVRServiceLauncher; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=168"

Start a program:

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\EasyTune\"
START "" "EasyTune.exe"

Kill a process:
taskkill /IM "Virtual Desktop.exe"

Copy files:
XCOPY "C:\FSX_addons\PF3\*.ini" "C:\Users\Gliderr1\Dropbox\Settings\FSX_addons\PF3" /Y /I /S /E /D

Wait for 15 secs (do nothing):
ping -n 15 127.0.0.1 >nul

etc

Simstarter is great for this and it's much easier to select scenery sets and reduced settings with it. Support is great.

I'd also recommend Process Lasso- there's a free version.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Easy solution that I have been using for a couple of years. You don't have to be a PC expert, install it, set it up, and activate it before you fly. When you finish, just hit the restore button and it puts everything back to where it was.  http://www.bluesprig.com/jetboost.html

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Another take on this subject:

P3D and FSX at this time can only use 4Gb of memory. So, if you have more than 4 installed--8 for example--the only things worth closing would be those applications/processes which actively use CPU cycles and disk activity. P3D and FSX get their own 4Gb address space which wouldn't be impacted by things living in the system's memory outside of P3D/FSX's chunk.

Once again, this all depends on having installed memory of at least 6-8 Gb. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Along the same lines, in my experience closing apps and processes to gain some performance or get rid of stutters etc has very little if any impact on a modern system with a decent CPU, GPU, SSD etc.

The one exception would be as mentioned above an application or process notorious for consuming lots of resources.

What I try to do rather than stopping and starting lots of stuff whenever I want to use P3D is to keep my system in an overall clean and tidy state avoiding to install stuff that doesn't need to be there.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for the info everyone

I had been thinking about simstarter ng

I might go take a look at it and see if its something i might use.

I'll also have a look at the other options

Cheers

Pete Little

I'm also using Simstarter NG for task handling, its the swiss army knife of config tools, coudlnt fly without it anymore, highly recommended

Pete, you might wanna check its predecessor 'SimStarter' (minus NG). Its now freeware and it may have the taskkill feature as well, even though its not mentioned in the feature list:

http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

In regards to task handling, as already mentioned, most tasks wont affect your available resources as long as your hardware isnt too old. However i suggest to kill any background tools that could cause CPU or HD activity like antivirus, antimalware scanners and backup tools. Furthermore, there are a few apps that are suspect to cause CTD with P3D, things like GeForce Experience, Xbox App/Game DVR, Riva Tuner and other stuff that might cause issues with your graphics driver. 

Pete, you might wanna check its predecessor 'SimStarter' (minus NG). Its now freeware and it may have the taskkill feature as well, even though its not mentioned in the feature list:

http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

No, task kill was added during the NG versions.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

No, task kill was added during the NG versions.

Kind regards, Michael

ah ok, bummer! thanks for the correction!

Cheers going to have a look at simstarter.Seems like this might be a program that i might use.

My pc is a couple of years old now but still pretty beefy although i only have 8gb of ram my cpu runs happily at a 4.5ghz OC 4930k

Im going to have a look at the bigger ram hoggers i have

Ie GeForce experience,malware bytes etc

I get the occasional stutters but nothing major but will take anything that can make my experience better.

Pete Little