Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

XPL "Enriched autogen"

So we do need to process it in Ortho4XP? That's a shame, not really interested in orthos

No, Ortho4XP is just needed for extracting the autogen from the Laminar's DSF. The "Enriched" layer contains an exclusion layer that removes everything below it ... the idea behind this is that you can take the extracted autogen from X-Plane 11's default scenery (which was generated from OSM data in mid 2016) and combine it with AlpilotX's HD mesh.

So your scenery file would look something like this:

Extracted X-Plane 11 Autogen (yOthro4XP_Overlays)

The Enriched Stuff

AlpilotX U/HD Mesh (or Othro4XP scenery if you prefer)

No, Ortho4XP is just needed for extracting the autogen from the Laminar's DSF. The "Enriched" layer contains an exclusion layer that removes everything below it ... the idea behind this is that you can take the extracted autogen from X-Plane 11's default scenery (which was generated from OSM data in mid 2016) and combine it with AlpilotX's HD mesh.

So your scenery file would look something like this:

Extracted X-Plane 11 Autogen (yOthro4XP_Overlays)

The Enriched Stuff

AlpilotX U/HD Mesh (or Othro4XP scenery if you prefer)

ok but that means we need to regenerate default autogen for the full country example if we use enriched overlay for austria, i will need to re generate full default autogen for austria in Y overlay in ortho?

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Does this work in XP10?

If you want this to work with XP 10 you just need to have Ortho4XP extract the autogen from AlpilotX's U/HD mesh.

because the enriched layer alone does not have the houses/trees/road autogen

Yes, because that comes with X-Plane Global Scenery out of the box already.

and my understanding is the enriched scenery overlay alone will suppress default autogen and that is without having any ortho

But it does not have to do that! One can go into the "enhanced" folder, unpack a DSF, remove the EXCLUDEs from the text file and convert it back to a DSF. Result: X-Plane 11 Global Scenery with its own autogen + the "enhanced" objects in the landscape!

(it is just too much manual work to do that myself for the whole package)

And I assume the "enhanced" package could be created directly that way, without the exclude zones in DSF.

I understand that the current format is made to supplement the (U)HD mesh. But done slightly differently it could be used directly with X-Planes own mesh and scenery.

Does the author himself hang around the forums?

Looks interesting without a doubt! Gonna read its manual and perhaps try it :)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

The end result is pretty impressive so I'm game to give this a try, but don't have / never used Ortho4XP.

Does it come with a manual with VERY clear instructions / idiot-proof guide?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Anyone tried this? Dropbox link in the text. The author makes some valid points regarding the use of Orthophotos.

Thank you very much!

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

The way  everything is packaged does not convince me at all!

First of all, if i create a folder for each region then i'm gonna fill up my hard disk with repetitive files (eg. those inside objects folder) and also XP will load the objects who are equal but differs in term of resource path thus seen as two different resources thus use more GPU memory than necessary. If i pick the let's merge into one folder option, then if you pay attention there will be similar files in names (eg. some DFS) that will have different size thus different content.

Second, you should provide a non suppressing option because someone might still prefer the HD or UHD overlay, thus no reason to suppress, or even worse someone might not use HD or UHD at all (even the documentation says that it is an option) which at this point there is no need to duplicate the overlay which is both time and space consuming for no reason.

I hope this issues will be sorted out.

This is all still confusing to me. Is this correct?

1) HD Mesh is outdated as far as roads/autogen but vastly superior when it comes to mesh detail. 

2) This allows the use of HD Mesh's higher resolution mesh while preserving XP11's more updated roads/autogen

3) It also adds a layer of landmarks made by W2XP but leaves the autogen in place so the scene looks complete (where W2XP would normally suppress it). 

Do I have the benefits right? Does this cover entire regions (like all the USA the way W2XP's layer did)? When he's showing the castle, where is that artwork coming from?

I really can't wrap my head around exactly what to do here either unfortunately..

This effort is really cool, but again, the XP world just being a mystifying mess of "figure it out" and "roll your own" to get a great experience....sadly continues.

I know - The power users will say that "I don't get it", but the power users don't get that this actually is a problem for XP getting more mainstream adoption.  Most people aren't going to go anywhere near this level of "hacking it together" for a great looking experience. 

@irrics I understand where you are coming from, it's easy for developers or power users to say "Ohhh, just build an ortho4xp scenery with W2XP objects", but it requires that user to be comfortable with those tools. I'm trying very hard with my latest sceneries to make them just plug and play. e.g. Poland Pro (Soon to be Poland/Czech and Slovakia together) don't need any libraries and in most cases you just drop them in and they work. 

If I ever decide to go payware then this is very important and I don't think anyone will tolerate vague instructions or needing to jump through hoops to get something to work (After all, the user just wants to fly and not hack away). But for freeware, I think expecting some effort from the user is fair.

• Upvote 2

Good to hear on your Poland Pro Tony.. and I fully agree about Payware..

I also agree that some effort expectation isn't "unfair" or anything with freeware, but I'm just talking more broadly about XP's eco-system.

It's sort of a pro and a con that there's such a wide world of freeware vs payware.  If freeware rules and the expectation then is an effort level that outstrips the desires or perhaps just the capabilities of "joe average user", the net result for XP and it's eco system is a poor OOB experience that requires unattainable effort for a great mainstream result.

What I'm really saying is, it would behoove even freeware developers to make things as streamlined and easy as possible, literally for the benefit of the entire XP ecosystem.  The rising tide of quality, even in freeware, really will lift all the boats...

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

If I ever decide to go payware then this is very important and I don't think anyone will tolerate vague instructions or needing to jump through hoops to get something to work (After all, the user just wants to fly and not hack away). But for freeware, I think expecting some effort from the user is fair.

Definitely - I'm more than happy to take time setting things up for freeware, but would definitely pay (depending on pricing, natch) for a plug and play that could free up more time to enjoy the product.

With increased market size for XP11 it's probably about time for you to seriously think about going pay ware Tony, no...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea