Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Shimmering Water -Why?

I had to go and change my graphics card didn't I? From a 760 to a 970, with a driver update too. Now nothing I seem to do can stop horrible gut-wrenching shimmering. Change Water2 to Water 1 stops the shimmering, but I lose Rex texture and Cloud Shadows.

I really don't know what else to try - if anyone has suggestions, I love to try them!

I've changed the screen resolution, tried to use my old driver, reapplied the DX tweaks to the Nvidia Inspector FSX profile, messed with FSX AA and Aniostropic settings, changed the supersampling settings in the Fixer ... the only other thing I haven't done yet is alter the refresh rate or look at the Nvidia Card settings.

You know when you wish you had not bothered?! ? I get the feeling that if I just stuck the 760 back in, the problem would still be there ... because it won't go away ! >:

Temporary workaround! I found if I click on Alternative Reflection Model in Water within Steves DX10 Fixer, the effect almost disappears. Only occassionally, straight ahead to I sometimes see little eddies trying to swirl around. But that is certainly a relief... it was unflyable as it was - particularly because I spend so long in the Caribbean!

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides information on eliminating shimmering.  See the Nvidia Inspector settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Is that the 4X Grid Sparse SAmpling?  I tried that from the Basic Avsim Guide, but distant autogen is flashing, trees in the middle distance are flashing. No idea what to do now, I must have tried every Nvidia INspector combination in the AA section to try and get a decent looking flight. I feel like ripping out the 970 and just putting the 760 back in. I really am tempted. 

I can't think of anything else to try. Having DX10 and Steve's Fixer muddies the waters a bit. 

EDIT: Well I went back  to DX9 and there is no flashing at all. I went to Steve's Guide and followed everything there, but still flashing. Its some DX10 thing .... gahh!

UPDATE: If Ye Twiddle Enough Ye Will Succeed!

Following a forum 'rumour' I brought up the FSX profile in Nvidia INspector, set AA TRansparency to 4x Sparse Grid Sampling (again), left the rest of AA as Application Controlloed and went to the top of the page to set AA Compatabilities both to Bioshock. There is something called Line Gamma? I set that on too. 

It worked, no shimmering autogen, no swirling water - and a new Nvidia card. Phew. My wife thought my cat was about to die or something. No, it was far worse! :) My wife has also printed me off a sign for my flight-sim room: 

justfly_zpsjagda12b.jpg

She means it. JUST FLY! Don't upgrade, update or rebuild!

Glad you got it fixed Paul.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10