Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Alabeo comments?

Hi all-

Just saw the PA22. Looks nice. Anyone want to share experiences with their purchases?

Looks like Carenado stuff but don't know if looks = functionality with them.

Cheers,

Mark

From the Carenado/Alabeo stuff I've got, which admittedly ain't that much (three maybe four in total) it's a bit of a mixed bag. Generally speaking most people say the same thing about their stuff as I would, i.e. very pretty models but not always great in terms of flight modeling or systems modeling.

It's not always true though, some are very good, for example, I have one of Alabeo's Crop Dusters (forget which one, or even where I bought it, but it is somewhere lol) and that is good as far as the flight model goes and it is a very nice 3D model too, although admittedly, it's not exactly the space shuttle in terms of avionics, so it'd be difficult to arse that aspect of it even if they wanted to, but as I say, it flies really well and looks stunning.

On the other hand, I recently bought their Cessna C441 Conquest II, and the flight model (and particularly how it taxies), is nothing short of attrocious. It's a beautiful 3D model, but I literally flew it twice (or tried to) and I've not touched it since, instead using the far better FlySimWare C441, which isn't quite as pretty as the Alabeo model, but at least it flies right and has realistic systems modeling, excellent in fact.

So I'd say it is a bit of a dice roll with Carenado/Alabeo, and by that I mean you are literally gonna have to roll six times to be in with a shot at getting what you want, and that's not good. I've heard many people say they ain't great at patching stuff either, nor exactly stellar when it comes to responding to tickets.

What all that means is that I'd really check out some of the reviews and comments in their support forum if you are considering one of their products, because as noted, some are really good, but a lot of them are all show and no go, and you evidently can't bank on problems being corrected rapidly either, which is a shame because they are undeniably great at 3D modeling and texturing, I don't think anyone would dispute that.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I really like Alabeo for the simple aircraft, like at AG Truck, biplanes, etc. They are so darned pretty.

Indeed the flight model and systems lack, according to the pros, on the more complex Carenado and Alabeo aircraft. I don't have real-world flying experience so I cannot judge.

Again, they are so darned pretty to look at. Spectacular VCs.

Thanks Alan. I'm thinkin' I might hold off.

Cheers,

Well, don't let just one person's opinion put you off, especially if it is mine lol.

Like I say, check out their support forum here on Avsim and if you see lots of people protesting about an issue and no responses from the developer about it, you'll know it's a problem potentially, if on the other hand there isn't much to complain about and no obvious complaint threads because of that, it probably means it is one of the good ones, and as I say, it's not like there aren't any good ones, for example, that crop duster of theirs is great.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Echoing Chock's comments on the Conquest, I worked with this aeroplane for five years and excitedly bought it upon release. Visuals were superb, system modelling was poor. What really killed it for me were the sounds. They didn't sound anything remotely like the Garretts on the real aeroplane, and it really killed the immersion for me. I explained this to Alabeo, who understood and kindly agreed to a refund. I then spent the money on the Fly Sim Ware model and though the visuals are not the same standard, it is made by a company with experience on the Conquest and it really shows.

• Upvote 2

The PA22 is a simple aircraft, so it should at least be a good fit for Alabeo/Carenado. When they try to do something complex like a G1000 it always comes crashing down due to bugs, lack of functionality etc.

Would be interesting to see how it compares to the Lionheart version. With that, you get more variations (including tailwheel version), but the texturing and modelling might not be quite as good, judging by the screenshots.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

A RW ex Tri Pacer pilot just posted on another wellknown flightsim website that the Alabeo version looks nicer and also flies nicer than the Lionheart version.

(Haven't come across an Alabeo/Carenado plane with a bad or unrealistic realistic FDE in the last few years).

Guest Mik75

It's a simple and enjoyable small plane! Ideal for a short VFR hop. Quite immersive, due to beautiful interior and exterior graphics and a nice sound!

The build in GPS is not really usable (didn't show a map or usable navigation data for me), but that's not too bad in a VFR setup. The flight model is believable and somewhat demanding, at least with some wind being present.

It's slow, it's beautiful, it's fun to fly!

I know they're looking into the two side cockpit/panel spotlights not being visible externally, the dome & panel light switches not working independently and the Shift+2 (Control Windows), selection of either 'VC windows' and/or 'Instrument reflection' having no effect (in FSX).   Not taken her up yet but no doubting the usual superb quality texturing  :wink:

There isn't integration per se, but it's an easy enough DIY. In VC 2 Change the alabeo 430 to the RXP 430 in VC2.   You have to shift it over a bit, change first position number to "-10"

[Vcockpit02}

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=512,512

visible=1

pixel_size=513,513

texture=$Panel_1

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS430, -10, 0, 512,256,UNIT1.VC

I rarely buy anything for the MSFS side anymore, but I may just pick this one up. This seems more in line with the older Alabeo releases that I've quite enjoyed and the price point is very reasonable. We'll see.

Slightly on the fence because I will absolutely buy this one for XP when they convert it for that platform - the Carenado / Alabeo releases always seem to be quite a bit improved when they make it over there.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.