I have a 6 monitor setup, which is mainly for trading options on equities and indexes as a trader. When I run FSX-SE, I only use 1 monitor because every time I try and undock a window and move it to another monitor, FSX crashes and stops working. I have looked through some of the posts, but maybe someone can point me to a step by step or post that contains info as to how to accomplish multiple monitors in FSX-SE. 

I have Windows 10, i7 4 GHZ, 32 GB RAM, GTX 750Ti cards supporting 6 monitors, 4 are 27 inch Viewsonics and 2 are 24 inch ASUS. I really just want to be able to use the 4 Viewsonic monitors for the simulation. It is a shame to only use 1 monitor when I have 6 available for flight simming. I tried to use the NVDIA surround, but maybe I don't understand the step by step of using this mode because it did not work for me. 

My trading platform works great on 6 monitors, but I have yet to crack the nut on using more than 1 for FSX. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and assistance.

• Upvote 1

I am surprised that you can run 6 monitors on a 750ti. I run 3 on a 780 GTX and those three take a toll on FPS. I have to be careful on the image quality sliders to keep from overloading the card also. My system, 3770K Win7-64, runs the 3 monitors fine in surround sound for both FSX boxed, P3Dv2, and P3Dv3. My understanding when I configured my surround setup years ago was that Nvidia surround would only work with 3 monitors, not 2 and not more than 3. This may have changed, you will have to google it. I set up surround in the Nvidia Control panel and I remember it being pretty straight forward.

I suggest that you unplug all but three monitors and then try to setup Nvidia surround. If you get it working in windows try running FSX in windows mode first. The Nvidia Surround will make the three monitors appear as one to windows so after setting it up you need to select the large resolution that should now appear in both the windows screen resolution settings and the same settings in the FSX resolution settings.  You may need to start with a fresh FSX.cfg. If so, just save your current one somewhere and let FSX build a new one.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thanks Ted, appreciate the info. It is primarily a trading computer, so running 6 monitors is probably not that graphics intensive with charts and data compared with flight simulation graphics. I just want to be able to use maybe 3 max, not all 6 for simulation purposes. 

Hello Capt Al:

I replied earlier today on another post within this thread and didn't see your system specs earlier.  Your system should be able to run multiple monitors with FS or P3D.  You should be able to get Nvidia Surround working with your monitors and cards.  The 750Tis with 2G of memory are a little light compared to new current video cards but should work Ok.  If your system runs your trading stuff then it should run FS.  Do all your monitors show up in the nvidia configuration?  I expect they would.  Why a crash when dragging windows is crazy.  I see others had this problem with FS Steam and some solved it by unclicking the Preview DX10 box in the graphics setup of FS.  I am not a pro with FS anymore (or probably never was) and have switched to P3D since it appears the future of flight simming, especially when the 64 bit version is released soon.  Another of the things I tried in the past with FSX was always to shut down in windowed mode and then when restarting to always first be in windowed mode before going full screen.  I am not sure if this applies to your situation here, but it may be worth a try.  There is a https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/620713633855707115/  topic that you might want to visit and post if you havent already.  Hope this helps.  Given your experience and what you bring to the community, it would be a shame if someone out there cant get this to work for you.  Flight simming is much better on several monitors.  And please keep up the great work on your videos.

A final suggestion would be to visit the Flightsimcon 2017 conference in June if you didnt know about it.  Just google it and you will have the info. Not sure where you are but it is worth a trip if you are getting into FS more.  Someone there will certainly be able to help you and get this resolved.  Take care, and keep the dirty side down!

Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton

Thanks Mike, I did see that post on FSX-SE on this problem, seems others were having this problem as well. I did try to uncheck the Preview DX10 box and it still crashed. Most of the time it crashes, sometimes it does not. I will figure out a way to use 3 of the 6 monitors. I do fine with 1 monitor, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to use multiple monitors.

I am just about to release 2 more video briefings, 1 on the FMS-CDU Preflight, and 1 on the Captain & FO Scan Flow Procedures. Thank you for the nice comments you made. I am kind of going in order to develop a building block concept before getting into more flight related videos. It will get there, just takes time. I enjoy making them. I am in Minnesota, going to a trading conference in May in Vegas. I will check out Flightsimcon, I think that is at Bradley field in Windsor Locks if I am not mistaken. Last time I was there was a diversion from Boston to there in my Regional flying days years ago.

Hello Capt Al:

Thanks for your reply and for your excellent videos.  Great concept on teaching and immensely practical.  These are and will be a fantastic asset to younger people wanting to learn how to do things right in the cockpit, and also for others who wonder how things work up there!  Wish these kind of resources were available years ago!  Onward, ho!

Sorry that the suggestions didn't work out to stop the computer crashes.  I am sure if it works occasionally that eventually someone will be able to figure it out.  One of the problems with the Flight Sim stuff is that there are so many hardware and software permutations out there, and so many addons to boot (sorry for the pun!), that one person can have things running well and another just has a frustrating experience.   The 4G limit for Virtual Address Space with 32 bit programs like FS and current P3D keeps systems perpetually at the point of the stall.  Sometimes dancing on the rudder can keep things flying, but other times even trying to power oneself out doesn't work!  I am hoping the new Lockheed Martin P3D in 64 bit will be an improvement.  We'll see.

Re Flightsimcon, you are absolutely right it is at KBDL.  Here's the link:  http://flightsimcon.com/ .  It used to be at the New England Air Museum just on the north side of the field, but this year is at the airport hotel as they need more space.  I went a couple years ago and found it useful to get an idea of what is upcoming in Flight Simming.  There are lots of people who can answer all sorts of questions on what to do and what not to do.  My wife and I are going to drive down from Ottawa where we live and make it a weekend.  Retired, so have the time!  It's a bit of a trek from the Land of 10K Lakes, but if you go, would enjoy meeting you.  If you can't, I will ask around about your system crashing issue and see if there is a solution!

Keep up the great work that will benefit many.  Cheers,

Mike H.

P.S. Where in MN are you?  We have a daughter at the U of MN in Minneapolis and visit her often.  Great state and the best people there!

Mike Hamilton

Capt Al:

Just viewed your FMS-CDU Preflight video!  I believe the guys in the 8th Air Force would call you a Gen Man, and those in the RAF would refer to your efforts as Wizard!  For anyone who wants to fly the heavies, or wants to learn more about cockpit procedures, these are a must.  Well done and easy to follow.  You have a knack for anticipating what the user needs to know next!!!  Highly recommended.

Mike H.

Mike Hamilton

Yes, I think how really cool this would have been if I had access to these simulations when I was a young kid and when I wanted to be a pilot. I could have been light years ahead. I mentioned in one post where the only thing I ever had was my bicycle to get to the local airport and my aviation pen radio with an earplug and small round tuner. Now you can have an app on your phone to listen to an approach control 2000 miles away, absolutely amazing.

Glad you like the videos, my intent is that additional information can enhance a flight simmer's enjoyment of these wonderful products. I am south of the twin cities by about 20 miles in the southern suburbs. My work on the other hand takes me to Miami and Shanghai mostly, at least for the last couple of years.

I am looking forward to see how these desk simulations respond to non-normals like a dual FMC failure, or hydraulic failure, or 2 engines out on one side. I really have not had a chance to see what these can do. The -8 will be great having the electronic checklist. Thanks for subscribing and I am toying with the idea of live streaming, I think that would be fun, I listened in on a few and think I could add value there.

Thanks, Al.  I agree that the options are limitless for learning about aviation nowadays compared to even just 10 years ago.  I hope this will translate into a renewal of general aviation interest for the younger generation.  Otherwise all that will be needed is a dog in the cockpit!  I trust you know the joke:

Q.  In the future, cockpits will have a pilot and a dog.  We know the pilot's purpose, but why a dog?

A.  The dog is to bite the hand of the pilot if he/she tries to touch anything!

Wow, it must be fun to ply your talents in the aviation world in Fla and China.  I understand that China is where the real growth in flying is going to occur.  But living over there is expensive I am told.

Yes, it would be great to see how the desk simulation handles real-world emergencies and problems.  I suspect it will be the code written into the main program that will dictate what the addon developers can and cannot do.  I suspect also large firms like Lockheed-Martin would have the wherewithall to do what was needed for difficult situations if they chose to devote resources to these.  But of course that will jack up prices I suppose.  And getting the right and reasonably priced simulation hardware to interact with the software to make it realistic is also needed.   Often it seems that one needs a masters degree in computer science and software engineering to figure it out.  Whatever, it will be interesting to see how the simulation hobby goes.  Sites and resources like yours really help!

Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton