Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Mountains/Mesh popping

A long term issue I found no real answer anywhere...

When I fly into mountains with my (now new) FS Global Mesh (or other meshes formerly), I have a constant plopping and "moving" mesh. Even if I fly very near to a montain, it changes its mesh resolution.

I have tried LOD, Mesh resolution, textures etc.

Nothing changes.

Its a bit of immersion killer when you fly towards a mountain and it is always changing its resolution.

Have anyone a suggestions what I could try to solve it?

many thanks

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same issue. I tried a host of settings as well, including tesselation. The result was simply nil. I could improve it a bit by setting tesselation off, but this produces inacceptable water, and doesn't completely resolve the issue either.

It probably has to do with tesselation as it was "introduced" in the Prepar3d2 run when tesselation was added, and is indeed limited to mountains. After hours of useless investigations I gave up on this issue and declared it a feature, But as you write, it's a real immersion killer.

Should anyone be able to finally resolve this, please mail me, you will get a sixpack of beer.

I recall an extended discussion of this on the ORBX forum with virtually no result either

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Guenter,

same issue on my side. Especially an immersion killer when flying over mountainous terrain :nea:

This has nothing to do with the blurry textures issues! I optimized everything regarding AM and my settings, etc. so that texture loading is definitely fast enough.

I think it is just the way P3D changes the texture resolution depending on the distance of the aircraft.

Maybe there is a solution out there, I'm not aware of...

So: +1 for this topic

Marc

P.S.: Another sixpack from my side for a solution :wink:

Marc Weber

I see that sometimes but on a limited scale (unpleasant but not really an immersion killer), specially when several meshes are overlaid. I had that in the Samoas, for instance, where OrbX custom mesh clashed with my Ultimate mesh. P3D was obviously drawing the Ultimate first and then when I was closer morphing to the  custom mesh.  If you have several meshes overlaid, try deactivating one for that specific area and see whether that helps.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Dominique, I tried that once, activated only one mesh, activated two of them, setting different mesh resolutions, all didn't help much in my case, but perhaps that's an idea worth further pursuing.

I see the issue more or less everywhere in mountains, but found it very annoying recently when crossing the mountains from Bear Lake to the new PacSim SLC, and also anywhere around ORBX Catalina.

This is 3000 ft GA flying, airliners supposedly will not be hit.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Michael

I don't have these products. I just flew SCA Catalina to check, with the Huey then the L-39. Here and there a rare texture loading late  No relief morphing. There are two meshes overlaid in my setup, Ultimate and SCA. You have a third one (Tim's). it sounds the same problem than for the Samoas. 

Bear Lake, you mean 1U7 in Paris, Idaho ? 

Do you see it some textures morphing from grass to rock ? As you know, when the slope is steep, the terrain engine converts the textures to a rocky texture within the LOD radius (I believe). There was a clear cut of that issue with a flaw of the mesh (a small spike)

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes, takeoff is from 1U7. I've made this tour on ground years ago and it's really picturesque.

It's not changing of textures as such, some call it "snapping" which I think is a quite good characterization as it's just small tiles fitting to the final shape. I also observe this in FTX Norway with its fjords.

Of course we might get a hint from the fact if others share this "feature" or not. It's definitely something specific for Prepar3d. My FSX is long gone, but I don't recall ever having seen this.

Kind regards, Michael

No morphing, snapping whatever you call it apparent during a brief check from Iu7 in CRM to the mountains south of the lake with OpenLC+Ultimate. Flying low at with L39. Again a rare texture loading late here and there.

Looks like an installation issue or that you tax your hardware too much.  

Again I do have that from time to time but limited (or maybe I subconsciously hide it :smile:, you know Freud and all that ). And I do fly a lot of mountainous terrain, all the time.

Dominique

That's intesting indeed. Thus it might make sense to restart investigation. Thanks for taking your time.

Kind regards, Michael

If you have it on a large scale to the point that it upsets your pleasure to fly, something has to be looked into. Do you have it closer to SLC or all the way ? The CRM own mesh stops very soon after departure from 1u7.

Dominique

I recall this notably closer to SLC when the mountains fall (Logan, Ogden). I mostly followed road 89.

This was with either Pilot's FTX 2010 or Ultimate, unfortunately I don't recall which one, I have both installed and use them alternativelyy (and can't reproduce it right now because of real work).

Kind regards, Michael

Here is a short video (filmed with my mobile  :P )

But you can see very good the issue I (we) have ...

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

I never see that   :smile:  ! 

Dominique

But I do. The effect as such is what I see, but not that massive. In my case there are much less patches, perhaps a bit more extended, but overall by far not that annoying. Although it's hard to compare as I am moving more slowly in my C172. Might be the same in a fighter.

Really strange we have different results on this. Here are two related topics from the ORBX forum, although they sometimes mix that issue with the blurry texture issue (with a different origin):

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/120085-scenery-texture-blurloading-time/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/114280-orbxp3d-textures-snap-to-crisp/

Kind regards, Michael

Most (all?) of the 3rd party terrain mesh products have multiple LOD levels embedded in their mesh files.  So a 10m mesh file also has 19m, 38m, and 76m mesh grids contained in it.  The morphing occurs when the scenery engine switches from lower (less-detail) to higher (more detail) LOD mesh as the distance from the camera decreases.

So it's a dilemma of sorts...use high-res mesh but deal with morphing as the range to the terrain changes, or lower res (or perhaps lower setting on the sliders?) with less morphing terrain.  Logically, high levels of tesselation together with low mesh resolution should produce the minimum amount of morphing, with tesselation mitigating some of the hard edges evident in the lower-res grid.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case