Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Mountains/Mesh popping

I've experienced this even in Early FSX 10 years with semi high res mesh. Not a deal breaker to me, I know it's going to happen. I can remember it first starting for me when I installed  a higher than normal res Grand Canyon mesh.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I don't recall this from FSX but maybe I just forgot, my last FSX installation was years ago. But I am pretty sure the extent I see this now was not present when I had FSX.

However, who knows if this "feature" actually results from Prepar3d or just from recent sceneries as was hinted above. Anyway, I find it disturbing.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Have you unselected all your addons (including the meshes, Vector etc.) and checked whether you still have the problem  ? I would advise to do it from the scenery library, not a launcher to be sure that there is no external pollution . I am with Bob on one point, it looks like a conflict of meshes but still, with my two last hardware setups  4770+780+tess. one notch below max and 477+1080+tess ultra, I never saw Guenter's video horror story. 

I don't remember much FSX, too far away but had you a HiRes mesh then ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Most (all?) of the 3rd party terrain mesh products have multiple LOD levels embedded in their mesh files.  So a 10m mesh file also has 19m, 38m, and 76m mesh grids contained in it.  The morphing occurs when the scenery engine switches from lower (less-detail) to higher (more detail) LOD mesh as the distance from the camera decreases.

Hi Bob,

I do believe you are right about this. I too experience some morphing but don't regard it as being unduly distracting. I think it's just the nature of the animal. The higher the resolution of the Mesh the greater the likelihood you will see this side-effect. However, I regard it as being a small price to pay for the spectacular enhancements. I am using FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation and loving every moment!

Regards,

Mike

I'm having this exact issue with a fresh installed P3D 3.4. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of a solution?

My specs: I7 6700K overclocked to 4.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 960, 250gb SSD and 16gb DDR4 RAM

Has v4 improved concerning this problem?  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, J35OE said:

Has v4 improved concerning this problem?  

+1

Major question for me, too.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This constant moving and morphing is one of the reasons I abandonded FSX-based sims (for now). Some people say they don't have it but I presume they mean to say they aren't bothered by it because it seems to me this simply is a part of how the scenery works in FSX-based systems. Just like late loading textues this moving and morphing really annoys me and it kills the immersion. Would be nice if v4 solves this but as I said, it simply is due to how the system works... Other sims don't have this luckily.

16 minutes ago, J van E said:

Would be nice if v4 solves this

I think this is a symptom of low LOD radius required to stay within the limits of 32bit.  I would expect an extension of LOD radius allowed by 64bit to push the loading of higher terrain LODs further away from the user, potentially to a distance it isnt noticeable.  As ever, the extent to which this is practically achievable may be dependent on the relative strength of any PC in a number of areas, including physical RAM, data storage etc

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I watched some V4 youtube videos and noticed there are mesh popping in at near distance.

22 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

I watched some V4 youtube videos and noticed there are mesh popping in at near distance.

Oh, that's not good news. If you are flying a lot between and above the alps IRL like I do, one never gets used to those transformer mountains. 

4 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I think this is a symptom of low LOD radius required to stay within the limits of 32bit.  I would expect an extension of LOD radius allowed by 64bit to push the loading of higher terrain LODs further away from the user, potentially to a distance it isnt noticeable.  As ever, the extent to which this is practically achievable may be dependent on the relative strength of any PC in a number of areas, including physical RAM, data storage etc

I'd say it is a symptom of the FSX-way of dealing with scenery and I doubt if a larger LOD will do the trick. Other sims simply don't have this. Even with a gigantic LOD in P3D you will still be able to see far away mountains pop into shape. The problem is the core system. Obviously it would help if this won't happen anymore right in front of you like it does now.

Watch Rob's v4 beta YouTube video, starting from 40:20 until the end of the video, pay attention to those mountain.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

Watch Rob's v4 beta YouTube video, starting from 40:20 until the end of the video, pay attention to those mountain.

You're right... :(

Oh well - something for LM to still address then :p

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

31 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

Yes... I really can not imagine anyone not being annoyed by this.