Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Mountains/Mesh popping

29 minutes ago, J van E said:

Yes... I really can not imagine anyone not being annoyed by this.

I noted a similar issue in FSW but just shrugged, honestly.

I wonder if it really is an issue across all FSX versions?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I see it in all FSX based sims so yes, imho this simply has to do with the core engine.

In recent years, my three main annoyances with FSX then P3D were:

• Autogen pop-up.
  • OOM crashes.
  • Mesh popping.

LM has knocked out two of them.  Hopefully, they'll tackle the third one, too.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RoboRay said:

In recent years, my three main annoyances with FSX then P3D were:

• Autogen pop-up.
  • OOM crashes.
  • Mesh popping.

LM has knocked out two of them.  Hopefully, they'll tackle the third one, too.

+1

...and the night lighting popping in from the distance (kind of autogen related) - but again this seems to be have been addressed by the ability to extend the drawing distance in v4.

The "mesh popping" is incredibly distracting - not only on mountains - but any ground texture can suddenly update to it's more detailed version and when this happens on final approach it just completely kills the immersion. We are spoilt with such incredible realistic scenery from 3rd parties these days and yet it is tarnished by this phenomena.

I find it difficult to understand how others are ok with it. In a sim we strive for as close to realism as possible yet this is as far from reality as it possibly could be - as you get closer to terrain in the real world the detail slowly and smoothly resolves, it doesn't suddenly 'snap' from one level of detail to another.

This alone drove me away from p3d to another sim... but I had high hopes to return to p3d with the release of v4. Alas, this "feature" hasn't been addressed. This concerns me that it may be so deeply seated within the fundamental core of the code that it may not be on any roadmap to resolve. Hope this isn't the case.

Darren Morris

This is an interesting discussion. I suppose I would like to see this fixed as well, but I think that after so much flying, my mind is conditioned not to process this popping anymore even though it's happening right before my eyes. In my case, I can't say it kills any level of immersion. Maybe I would notice it more if I did more low-altitude flying.

Walter Meier

10 hours ago, wsmeier said:

This is an interesting discussion. I suppose I would like to see this fixed as well, but I think that after so much flying, my mind is conditioned not to process this popping anymore even though it's happening right before my eyes. In my case, I can't say it kills any level of immersion. Maybe I would notice it more if I did more low-altitude flying.

I suppose airline pilots have less problems with this. They may only see it during landing though I suppose they usually won't land with a mountain in front of their face. :laugh: I myself mainly fly low and slow, through valleys, etc. and often between 3000 to 7000 feet and seeing things pop and morph ALL THE TIME is truly annoying and immersion killing. It would be less of a problem if I only noticed this during for instance landing: I could live with that.

But of course all this is also very personal and subjective: the fact that everyone can see this doesn't mean everyone will be annoyed by it. It is the same with (micro)stutters and all those other problems there are with FSX-based sims.

One thing which may or may not help, it does minimise this effect for me:

With my own scenery, where I've added a 2 metre mesh, this drove me balmy for a long time, especially with Orbx mesh, which for NZ seems to be a few metres higher than default overall. I tried changing priority etc, but nothing worked until I alphabetized the mesh scenery files -- basically I added 'a_' as a prefix to the name of the highest resolution mesh for the area. This didn't entirely remove it, but made it bearable.

Well, it's 2017, v4 is out, but mountains and fields are still popping and there's still no solution..

Unfortunately, yes. It seems to be less pronounced than in Version 3, at least on my system, but it's definitely still with us.

And no one in this world came up with a working solution eliminating it. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Wow I'm glad I came across this subject, I'd been running FS global 2010 in p3dv3 with all the Orbx stuff forever and this texture morphing as its being described was basicly nill for me with really nice crisp terrain, so as a treat for myself I'd thought I'd upgrade to FSGlobal Ultimate NG which is 1mtr mesh and 80gig, the morphing textures with this was horrendous, I posted over on another forum and got baulked at to fix my sim, couldn't stand it any longer, uninstalled it and reinstalled 2010 and instantly the sim is back to normal, clean and crisp, so please tell me it's got something to do with the mesh size that makes this happen.

Cheers Rod 

Rod, the point for me is I get this morphing, too, even with "normal" ORBX sceneries, which is where I fly most of the time. I usually have all addon mesh (in my case Ultimate indeed) deactivated when within ORBX regions.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

G'day Micheal, I too probably spend 90% of my time in Orbx regions when I was seeing this so for the $...00 spent on the mesh to deactivate it sort of doesn't feel right, but I'm getting a much better experience with 2010 overall, now with P3DV4 installed as well I'm on the fence as to whether I install FSGUNG into that, but if there's anything I can do to improve the problem I'm all ears.

Cheers Rod.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, doublebubble said:

Wow I'm glad I came across this subject, I'd been running FS global 2010 in p3dv3 with all the Orbx stuff forever and this texture morphing as its being described was basicly nill for me with really nice crisp terrain, so as a treat for myself I'd thought I'd upgrade to FSGlobal Ultimate NG which is 1mtr mesh and 80gig, the morphing textures with this was horrendous, I posted over on another forum and got baulked at to fix my sim, couldn't stand it any longer, uninstalled it and reinstalled 2010 and instantly the sim is back to normal, clean and crisp, so please tell me it's got something to do with the mesh size that makes this happen.

Cheers Rod 

Hi Rod... would be interesting to get Pilot's view on this... they could maybe shed some light on the reasoning - have you contacted them - or was that the other forum where you mentioned you had posted and got baulked?

Darren Morris

12 minutes ago, curbz said:

Hi Rod... would be interesting to get Pilot's view on this... they could maybe shed some light on the reasoning - have you contacted them - or was that the other forum where you mentioned you had posted and got baulked?

To be honest I haven't moved on any further yet as I'm still using P3DV3 with 2010 (it was V3 that I installed FSUNG)at the moment until I get V4 settled, V3 is performing beautifuly with all the fruit added so until I have everything V4 sorted I'm staying put, there seems to be some post's rising in regards to FSUNG lately so when I'm at the mesh stage with V4 I'll revisit the mesh thing, waitng on Pilots view.

Cheers Rod.

I have contacted them, but got a not very satisfying answer:

"Hallo! Das ist die RenderingEngine des Simulators und hat mit FSGUNG nichts zu tun. Je naeher man kommt, desto genauer zeichnet der Simulator das Mesh. Je nach Fluggeschwindigkeit und Rechnerleistung ist das mehr oder weniger sichtbar. Da muessen Sie sich leider an die Simulatorhersteller wenden."

Translation:

"That is because of the rendering engine of the simulator. Depends on flying speed and computer power. You have to contact the developer of the simulation."

In my ears it sounds more like: doesn't interest me.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------