Sign in to follow this  

Lost dust and smoke effects

Hi Steve, all.

I've lost dust and smoke effects from FSX - sometime in the last few weeks. I don't usually notice it but flew a Helo today and realised it was gone - no downwash dust and no engine smoke.

I then tried with my old smoky A2A Piper Cherokee - which very satisfyingly belches out plumes of grey/ black smoke - and that's gone too.

I installed the latest DX10 Fixer version a few weeks ago - that's the only thing that's changed in the sim.

Any ideas very gratefully received, thanks.

Hi Steve, all.

I've lost dust and smoke effects from FSX - sometime in the last few weeks. I don't usually notice it but flew a Helo today and realised it was gone - no downwash dust and no engine smoke.

I then tried with my old smoky A2A Piper Cherokee - which very satisfyingly belches out plumes of grey/ black smoke - and that's gone too.

I installed the latest DX10 Fixer version a few weeks ago - that's the only thing that's changed in the sim.

Any ideas very gratefully received, thanks.

Have you accidentally turned off animated affects in FSX?

Hi Len,

Yes thanks, Advanced animations is checked on  the main Settings page.

All effects converted except Particles under Lights/ Effects,  Steve.

Well try a test switching to dx9

Did so Steve, both in DX9 and DX10 the smoke, contrails and vapour are all there but only viewed from a certain range of angles on a revolving view around spot. So, for instance, smoke and contrails and vapour all there between 120 and 200 degrees but then, panning round in spot view, they vanish from 200 to 260, then reappear from 260 to 310, etc. Weird, I know.

I don't actually think this is a DX10 Fixer issue but I'd love to know if you have any thoughts on why this is.

uninstall the fixer libraries and retest - it should be adjusting particle effects so I don't see how it can be the issue, but lets be sure.

Then if the problem still exists is this with a specific aircraft or generally e.g with default Cessna?  Does it occur with spray on a wet runway in dx9?

Tried uninstalling libraries - no difference - still as above.

Then I switched to dx9 and the problem is still as above with snow/ rain on runway. 

Ok look in the aircraft.cfg and confirm that water in the effects section is set to fx_spray, then tell me what the various particle face attribute is set to in fx_spray.fx.

Glad I found this tread because I have the exact same problem Steve.  I installed the latest DX10 fixer with the updated Cloud Shadows a few weeks ago.  Since then, no smoke effects or viewing angle specific as described here.   Testing w/o cloud shadows turned on. 

Well to be clear so far I believe that we have proved it's nothing to do with the fixer, as it doesn't touch the problem effects... and the problem occurs without it in dx9.  

Nonetheless I shall persevere until we understand the issue, it sounds like a face issue tbh, and the fixer does edit the face in effects but not particle effects and not when you switch to dx9.

Well something happened.   Not a single aircraft or rotorcraft shows particle effects, smoke, spray....etc.  Running Windows 7, 64 bit. 

The Fixer is uninstalled. No particle effects enabled as a result.  Very strange.  I wonder if more folks will run into this.