Hello all,

Just wondering what kind of monitor i should choose for flightsim:  IPS or TN based monitor?

I know the differences about speed, brightness, prices, ...

But what should you recommend me, if it is specific for flightsimming (P3D)?

Thanks for any advices,

William

Color reproduction (realism) and viewing angle are important in P3D whereas refresh rate is less so (nothing really fast moving like a first person shooter).  I'd go with IPS since color accuracy and viewing angle are more important to me personally, especially with a large >30" monitor.  But, it's a very subjective thing.  I don't believe P3D will care one way or another.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thank you Doug,  i had the same opinion but perhaps there were other issues that came into play ...

There is really no real reason to stick with TN anymore except price. Ips refresh rates are now very comparable. Take a look at the ROG Swift line of IPS gaming monitors, for instance.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 2/23/2017 at 1:46 PM, dmiannay said:

Color reproduction (realism) and viewing angle are important in P3D whereas refresh rate is less so (nothing really fast moving like a first person shooter).  I'd go with IPS since color accuracy and viewing angle are more important to me personally, especially with a large >30" monitor.  But, it's a very subjective thing.  I don't believe P3D will care one way or another.

Viewing angles?  Do you mount your monitor(s) 10 feet over your head without tilting them towards you or something?  Does anyone here do anything other than look directly at their monitor while flight simming?  

On 2/24/2017 at 3:29 AM, HiFlyer said:

There is really no real reason to stick with TN anymore except price. Ips refresh rates are now very comparable. Take a look at the ROG Swift line of IPS gaming monitors, for instance.

Yeah, except for price.  How much do those high refresh rate IPS displays cost?  $500 to start, going up to an absurd $1300 at the top end.  You can find a comparable TN monitor for $300.  Color reproduction can be altered via calibration.  Sure, IPS panels look better out of the box but I'll bet in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell a properly calibrated good TN panel from an IPS panel.  

17 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Viewing angles?  Do you mount your monitor(s) 10 feet over your head without tilting them towards you or something?  Does anyone here do anything other than look directly at their monitor while flight simming?  

Its a matter of taste, useage, and budget. I purchased the Swift PG279Q because in my new build, I had a self-mandate to purchase the best of everything available (More future proofing) and no second guessing afterwards. Other people's milage may vary.

And yes, it would take me about 3 seconds and a slight movement of my head to identify a TN as opposed to an IPS. (others mileage may vary)

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The comparison in that test does not replicate real-world usage and is therefore both highly flawed and pretty much irrelevant.  The monitors should have been filmed straight-on, then the two recordings should have been placed side-by-side.  In the real world you don't sit off-center from your monitor, you view it dead-on.  That's why viewing angles are largely irrelevant for monitors as they're designed to take up the center of your field of vision.  TVs are a different story, as they're made for viewing by multiple people simultaneously, all viewing from different angles.  

Another issue with the test setup was that the monitors were not calibrated individually, but rather to the same level.  Matching brightness, contrast, and color saturation is just bonkers.  Who thought up this test?  

1 hour ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Another issue with the test setup was that the monitors were not calibrated individually, but rather to the same level.  Matching brightness, contrast, and color saturation is just bonkers.  Who thought up this test?

Its unfortunate that these types of videos don't satisfy, but it might help if you could find and link a video that both fits your preferred methodology and matches your opinion, as a counter.

Unfortunately, by far the vast majority of tech videos covering this subject are side by side. https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAM%3D&q=ips+vs+tn

Devons rig

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Its unfortunate that these types of videos don't satisfy, but it might help if you could find and link a video that both fits your preferred methodology and matches your opinion, as a counter.

Unfortunately, by far the vast majority of tech videos covering this subject are side by side. https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAM%3D&q=ips+vs+tn

If by "preferred methodology" you mean that which produces quantifiable, objective results then yeah, I prefer that.  

Look, it's just common sense.  Displays that utilize different panel technology should not use the same calibration settings.  I can't believe this even has to be said...

41 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Look, it's just common sense.  Displays that utilize different panel technology should not use the same calibration settings.  I can't believe this even has to be said..

Alright, perhaps you are correct. The video I provided was chosen carefully to give a hopefully fair and balanced look at the two technologies, but I'm perfectly open to examining invalidating and non-subjective evidence above and beyond strong personal opinions on the pluses and minuses of TN vs IPS panels. (which I believe was the OP's question)

Devons rig

It's hard to substantiate these things practically, as just an individual that does not have the monitors in question.  If you separate the subjective comments about image quality of TN vs IPS, surely you can agree with the principles I am espousing about the deficiency of their testing methdology, though?  

13 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

It's hard to substantiate these things practically, as just an individual that does not have the monitors in question.  If you separate the subjective comments about image quality of TN vs IPS, surely you can agree with the principles I am espousing about the deficiency of their testing methdology, though?  

Sure it's all nice theoretically, but out of the literally dozens and perhaps hundreds of videos out there that addressed the question, I saw not one that approached it as you suggest. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. In the absence of that, I went with the preponderance of available information backed by my own experience. I actually purchased both monitors in the video and also chose it for that reason, since I had personal knowledge. The TN model would have been returned after a week, as after having used an IPS for years, the changes in color as I moved my head and the lesser range of black and whites were noticeable and annoying to me.

I say would have returned, but instead, I gave it to my young nephew, who, never having had anything better (very few are willing to pay those prices) was and is ecstatic.

I then purchased the IPS version, and am very happy with it. I only wish I hadn't tried to save money when I purchased the TN first.

A happy mistake, for my nephew.

Devons rig

IPS all the way. That video does no good if you watch on a TN panel. You have to watch on a IPS panel to see the difference then you wouldn't be asking in the first place.