Sign in to follow this  
severniae

What happened to the forums!?!?

Hi,

Haven't used Avsim in a little while, came back today and everything has turned into some kind of question/answer forum, like one you would find on technet! Has avsim changed to this format, instead of a discussion forum? It's terrible! Change it back please!!

Cheers,

• Upvote 5

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

You missed the changeover by one day. Only last night they moved over to the new format. I don't like it to be honest either. Too many generic looking forums nowadays. 

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

This is going to hurt Avsim if this is permanent, you cannot even see your active threads anymore.

This is stupid. If this is permanent activity here will slow down.

I loved the old style, it was unique, now it's just another forum.

• Upvote 3

Aaron Tirrell

I've been a member of AVSIM since 2004. This is the worst layout yet.

DJ

• Upvote 6

Cosmetic changes look fairly good. Feels a bit 'fresher'.

Not being able to see my own active posts / recent posts from others at the top of the page like before is extremely irritating. A step backwards.

• Upvote 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I digress in part, you can see your active posts in your profile, but I guess we will never know in two clicks anymore what is trending.

I never ever have just gone through the forums clicking here and there, if it was not on the most recent liust, or my list I moved on, unless I had a specific issue and went directly to whatever forum.

There is not enough time in the day to just browse the forums.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Tirrell

This is a retrograde step, in my opinion and seems like a definite case of style over function. I usually view the forums on my iPad and most of the screen is initially taken up with the pointless graphic at the top of the page. The new, expanded, format means much more scrolling about to find what you're looking for and the "popular questions" section in each forum just adds to this. Why not put the "popular questions" in their own forum? The priority should be the efficient sharing of information rather than the appearance of the forum. Whilst I'm all for updating, why change a format that's worked successfully for years?

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Folks,

Everyone - - - hates - - - change - I'm sure the admins are getting everything settled and are still working out the kinks - take a few deep breaths and give them a chance to see how it shakes out... They work very hard to support us - no need for pitch forks and torches just quite yet...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I don't mind it. The only think i really, really miss, is that little window that showed me when there have been new posts in the topics i wrote into.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Like the new look - but recent topics and own active topics is missing.
I really liked that view.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Please give us back our posts we had commented on and please give us back the top trending posts. Without these two functions this is not a good change. Hope these two important functions return.

cheers

neil

What was wrong with the forum the way it was?  Did you change providers?  I don't know what to say, this is a total surprise, and not in a good way I am afraid.  

I cannot see any forum content except the cockpit and advertising which covers the whole screen on my laptop.  The old header which included the "new" AVSIM logo and forum menu selections worked great and didn't take up very much space.  The "View New Content" button was a great tool to see new posts, what happened to it?

Voting answers up or down?  How is this going to work when someone recalls a post being on a certain page?  They're going to have to re-read the entire thread?  That is not feasible.

The login requires that the user inputs their current username, for years I used to login using my old handle (M**66). Please post a notice on the home page on how to login now.  I wanted to edit my signature because it takes up too much space, cannot find the link to that, where is it?

Sorry, I am all for progress but the forum really does not look good.  The layout does not flow and does not look professional.  This has been my go-to forum for 14 years and it does not feel like home anymore.  

Robert

• Upvote 2

\Robert Hamlich/

But I can't see the topics I'm participate in, like I used to. 

Is it only me ?

Or this ...maintenance thing.

edit:

Oh I see there's a whole topic about it... =O