Hello

I am considering installing P3D, ORBX (global & Vector for Europe ) Active sky, PMDG and FSLABS aircraft on my existing SSD drive.  I have 91Gb remaining ( I already have FSX-SE installed).  I expect that the planned installation will use most of remaining capacity on my SSD drive. 

Will I experience severe performance issues using P3D if I fill my drive to capacity ?

It is probably advisable to by a new SSD but I am trying to avoid havining to re-install everything again

Advice and comments welcome

Clive Alexander

I

Hi Clive,

When you buy a new SSD, you can clone your existing SSD to the new one. Most SSD brands have a tool to do just that. After cloning your current drive, you change the drive letter of the new one to equal the drive letter of your current one, and there's no need to reinstall anything.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi Clive,

One more remark: before cloning, uninstall your P3D Client and reinstall after you have the new SSD up and running. This prevents activation issues.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

7 hours ago, Speed_NYC said:

Performance will not be affected by how full your drive is.  Just dont let it completely run out of space.

This is not entirely true.   Solid state drives tend to lose speed as they approach full capacity.   The extent to which this holds true for any drive will vary based upon its controller and how overprovisioned the drive is, and this mostly effects write speed rather than read, but the impact is real

https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

AFAIK over-provisioning is now a standard feature on all current SSDs. If you have an SSD from 5 years ago then you need to manually add over-provisioning space.

Tip: You can alias an addon scenery from another hard drive via the scenery.cfg config file, and you can do the same with some simpler addon aircraft through MKLINK hard folder links.