Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Avsim Confusing?

Do you think Avsim is confusing as hell?  

89 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you think Avsim is confusing as hell?

• Yes
    • No

lets face we all know we are dealing with a new release and as the saying goes s--t happerns no doubt you boys will sort it out,but a big thanks for all the unpaid work you guys do for us it is appreciated by many of us

Peter

• Upvote 1

Well, I used to look forward to coming to this site first thing every day and then several more times during the day.  Now, I almost dread coming here.  I sure hope things improve.  I'm getting the feeling that the site was changed just because it could be, not that it needed to be.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

On 24/02/2017 at 9:55 PM, caaront said:

It was very enjoyable to click on Avsim in the address bar, arrive at the front page, click on forums, then on all forums (refresh) and see all the most recent active topics, and to see the topics we were involved with, without having to go through an hour or more of searching to find the different threads among hundreds of sub forums.

Ditto.. I would like to know how many members objected to the old layout and requested a change .. but I suspect some web programmer just decided to make change for changes sake regardless of need.  I wont be visiting this site much from here on in, if this current page layout remains.

9 hours ago, JNS said:

Well, I used to look forward to coming to this site first thing every day and then several more times during the day.  Now, I almost dread coming here.  I sure hope things improve.  I'm getting the feeling that the site was changed just because it could be, not that it needed to be.

Jeff

Then your "feeling" is misplaced. The reason the forum software was updated had nothing to do with anything other than it was fixing to loose support. Since said support is paid for, the platform had to be upgraded to the latest version.

As with any new version of software some changes in functionality are to be expected. It will just take a bit longer to fully understand and re-configure the options for best and smoothest operation.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

^^^ I can understand, and sympathise with your view Fr Bill, but the time taken to load pages is, for me anyway, highly undesirable.  I don't visit quite as often as the "spinning wheel" frustrates me.  I now seem to visit my other fora on a separate tab, shame that I don't have enough other fora to permit me to flip pages until done.  I rather hope that the speeds can be returned to "what was" and permit my enjoyment as before.  Regards all.

Maurice.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

25 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I rather hope that the speeds can be returned to "what was" and permit my enjoyment as before.

The speed of the forum is very poor at the moment, almost back to the bad old days of a couple of years ago. I am also only using the forum with other tabs open so I can browse other sites while the pages load, to mitigate the frustration. I hope this is a temporary problem?

22 hours ago, Novation said:

The speed of the forum is very poor at the moment, almost back to the bad old days of a couple of years ago. I am also only using the forum with other tabs open so I can browse other sites while the pages load, to mitigate the frustration. I hope this is a temporary problem?

22 hours ago, Paladin said:

^^^ I can understand, and sympathise with your view Fr Bill, but the time taken to load pages is, for me anyway, highly undesirable.  I don't visit quite as often as the "spinning wheel" frustrates me.  I now seem to visit my other fora on a separate tab, shame that I don't have enough other fora to permit me to flip pages until done.  I rather hope that the speeds can be returned to "what was" and permit my enjoyment as before.  Regards all.

Maurice.

To save you from having to read the previous replies on this subject of speed, please understand that the forum software is still in the process of indexing every post ever made at AVSIM. It has been doing so for over a week already, and is not expected to be complete until sometime this next weekend. At that point it will then begin indexing the image files and other miscellaneous files.

The server is doing this at the same time as several thousand of folks are browsing the forums, library, and so forth! Yesterday afternoon I happened to be on-line here and experienced nearly instantaneous response, but then there were only a few hundred others on-line at the time. So, I have no doubt at all that once the indexing is complete, we will be back to rapid response once again! :biggrin:

Fr. Bill    

Thanks Fr Bill, that's good to know.  Regards.

Maurice.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

I'm staring to get used to it, appreciate all your hard work.

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest JustanotherPilot

Why change for change sake, the old site worked fine.

18 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Its not really "Change for change sake". I know that most people, by nature, are resistant to change. The truth of the matter is that the software needed to be brought up to date. I think that with most things, once you get used to the new site, you will really enjoy it. Please be patient while the upgrade gets completed. It it a necessary update..trust us.

• Upvote 1

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

8 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

What gives you the impression that this was a change made for change's sake?

It has been mentioned several times (1, 2, 3, 4 that I could find) that the change was made because the previous forum software was starting to get unstable, and the vendor support for that version was about to sunset - effectively requiring them to perform the updates.

Granted, those mentions I've linked aren't front-and-center and easy to find, but at a site like AVSIM such a significant change would rarely be undertaken unless there was a compelling reason or requirement to do so.

Well, it is too bad they had to change for the reasons given, because I think the older version was more convenient, especially the front page (being able to see threads/comments I'm involved in and the most recent postings).   My .02 .

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

16 minutes ago, JNS said:

Well, it is too bad they had to change for the reasons given, because I think the older version was more convenient, especially the front page (being able to see threads/comments I'm involved in and the most recent postings).   My .02

Give. It. Time. Please. As has been mentioned a time or six-dozen, the two volunteer staff people have been working their fingers to the bone to get things as "back to normal" as is possible. Is a little patience too much to ask?

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill