Sign in to follow this  
caaront

New forums will hurt the activity at Avsim.

It was very enjoyable to click on Avsim in the address bar, arrive at the front page, click on forums, then on all forums (refresh) and see all the most recent active topics, and to see the topics we were involved with, without having to go through an hour or more of searching to find the different threads among hundreds of sub forums.

Please bring it back, folks won't have time to keep track of their posts anymore.

• Upvote 9

Aaron Tirrell

I have to say  I agree. I enjoyed the old forum interface - it was gentle on the eyes. This place is just tooooo darn white.

Also, if a user has put more than their Country and Gender in their profile, the spaces between posts are enormous. You used to be able to scan the whole forum with a couple of spins of the mouse wheel.

I'm familiar with this forum format on other sites and I really don't like it.

p.s; No need for anyone to come back with "If you don't like it you no where you can go," etc, etc. I'm just giving an opinion.

Where is the date of the last post? You can sort by most recent but how recent.

Also can be reduce the height of the pretty top banner photo? On a iPad it fills the screen and stops you reading the more important posts. 

Finally I agree that everything is too big (fonts, white space, posts). Can we tone it down?

• Upvote 1

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

6 hours ago, caaront said:

It was very enjoyable to click on Avsim in the address bar, arrive at the front page, click on forums, then on all forums (refresh) and see all the most recent active topics, and to see the topics we were involved with, without having to go through an hour or more of searching to find the different threads among hundreds of sub forums.

I'd say that this is probably true...it's become harder and requires more work to get what you need.  It's also cleaner but at the same time, sterile and harder to navigate.  I imagine that some of this can be fixed by altering the CSS.  But there are quick navigation mechanisms...buttons, arrows, anchors...that are entirely gone, replaced with the need to click multiple times to get the same functionality.  I left Orbx forums when they changed.  Not saying I'll do that here but it's harder and, maybe, we'll see some changes and benefits as time goes on.  As of right now, I feel a little uneasy with how it is.

EDIT:  The more I'm using the site and reading the tips other people are giving, the easier I'm finding it to get around.  Yeah, there are some things not working yet or need to be added.  We just need to give it time and feedback.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I think it's a move in the right direction.

We can't stay in 1998 forever...

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

We have now sadly have the same forum software as Orbx. I haven't yet got to like it, nor got used to it. But like many things in life I'll have to lump it. What is it that this format is doing better than the 1998 format?

Hey ho.

• Upvote 5

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It's not the format so much Ron as it is the core of the forum software that required updating to the latest version. The old version was getting flakey and unreliable, and support was fixing to expire for it... :(

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

36 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

What is it that this format is doing better than the 1998 format?

I should imagine it's sort of similar to why we aren't all still running Windows 98, i.e. lack of support, lack of compatibility with modern hardware, therefore security issues etc.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

We have now sadly have the same forum software as Orbx. I haven't yet got to like it, nor got used to it. But like many things in life I'll have to lump it. What is it that this format is doing better than the 1998 format?

Hey ho.

I actually like the new format except for one feature. The mobile version is mush. That's why ORBX uses Tapatalk. AVSim should really go back to making Tapatalk available.

Why is the top banner so big. It covers almost half the screen. Is there a way  to remove the banner in preferences? First impression, meh, might get use to it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

I think it's a move in the right direction.

We can't stay in 1998 forever...

You're such a progressive my friend!  ;)

Hope you're well brother!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm grateful that everyone is working hard to provide us with this wonderful service. I agree though that it takes some getting used to. The mobile version is non-functional on my mobile though, can't access any pahe at all.

That will be fixed once the site is updated.  The IPS browser is used by many websites and not just for flight simulation.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

We should all be patient - sometimes new stuff is alien to us without some kind of tutorial. I know "my content" will be in here somewhere so I can see the new posts etc. :)

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Functionality has not changed that much in my opinion, and in the last day a lot of tweaks have been made! Kudos to all working on this!